Monkey demands too much attention

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey demands too much attention

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2011) [#1]
I knew I'd get distracted the moment it became available.... I did, I got very distracted. So, I've decided to uninstall it until I complete my current "paying" workload. See you all soon...

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#2]
The fact is, you could finish your game much faster with Monkey. Using something else than Monkey for game dev is just a waste of time :)

Not to speak of the motivation the Monkey language brings. You can make real C++ and whatever code with a very clean and simple OOP basic dialect. With any other language your motivation stops after a few weeks and you never finish your game.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
Its distracted me to the point of pulling my hair out, in that the documentation works OK on one of my PCs with IE9, but I get a blank page on the other because IE insists on blocking Javascript, and nobody seems to know why.

Seems like a nice idea but I'm happy to leave it well alone for now and get on with my Blitzmax project.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#4]
Try uninstalling IE, and installing Firefox4. Firefox4 is the only browser which supports WebGL on older machines, like my IBM ThinkPad T61p.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#5]
Try uninstalling IE, and installing Firefox4. Firefox4 is the only browser which support WebGL on older machines.
I wouldn't use Firefox in a fit. And apart from that, JungleIDE will not use anything but IE for the documentation.

Anyhoo, I've had this whole conversation before on the monkey forums and I'm not going to waste any more of my life on it.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#6]
Just out of curiosity, have you installed latest internet explorer (official) release, haven't you? (just in case anybody else has the same issues as you)

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
Aye, installed it today.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#8]
but I get a blank page on the other because IE insists on blocking Javascript, and nobody seems to know why.

Is any javascript working in IE?
If not, try this from a commandline:

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 msscript.ocx
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

(will re-register some of the script handlers that IE uses)

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#9]
The fact is, you could finish your game much faster with Monkey. Using something else than Monkey for game dev is just a waste of time :)
Not sure how you reached that conclusion, unless you are talking about the porting.
Coding without a proper debugger, stack trace etc is slower imo. (Not that i mind because of the other advantages monkey offers :)

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#10]
I never use debuggers for normal game code debugging, but use DrawText to show some variables and comment out code which crashes.

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#11]
I decided to stay away from monkey until the game I am working on now is completed. Maybe by the time I am done it has a debugger. And I want unit testing!!!! Anyone?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#12]
I never use debuggers for normal game code debugging, but use DrawText to show some variables and comment out code which crashes.
well we all do that when debuggers are not available, but using breakpoints and stepping can often pinpoint your error in seconds rather than the old "WTF! why is that zero, that false and that set to something else... and what he hell is my list object doing?!... oh bugger i forgot to dump those to the output so i have no idea until i rinse and repeat and comment out code till i find it" Also drawtext cannot give you line specific info because it is only valid on-render.
The only useful thing i have found like this in monkey is the error statement (and that does not have a continue option which is a massive shame) I would prefer something like JS "alert" or something that forces a redraw from anywhere that is modal until you click "ok" then it continues.

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#13]
bloody doppleganger posts

Last edited 2011