MONG, my first monkey app.

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/MONG, my first monkey app.

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#1]

http://www.mediafire.com/?wkk1ao12h8ao95w

My very first monkey app, a simple Pong game :)

Use W to move up, and S to move down.

Tell me what you think,

W E R D N A
(It's complete, with source code)

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#2]
Cool.

A couple of things with your code:

1. Use classes :)
2. You dont need the Cls if you display a full screen background image (this will improve performance a tad)

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#3]
1. Use classes :)
2. You dont need the Cls if you display a full screen background image (this will improve performance a tad)

On 1., I wasn't sure if I could use classes or not. I'm still learning the language.

on 2., thanks for the tip!

Is there anyway to get rid of the black rectangle behind that's displayed when you
use DrawText by the way?

Thanks!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#4]
Classes are the same as Types in BlitzMax... although I dont think you use them either, or you didnt.

Check out my MonkeyPong example, which has source:

http://www.therevillsgames.com/monkey/monkeyDoc.html

black rectangle behind that's displayed when you
use DrawText by the way?

Yep, use a different font:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=201

GfK(Posted 2011) [#5]
Unless you want to offend somebody, think of another name. "Mong" is a derogatory term for someone with Down's Syndrome.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#6]
Is it? Not heard that one before :S (northern thing perhaps?)

When i wake up with a hangover i always say i am "monging" (and usually "minging" too :)
.. or "monging out" (chilling) after a heavy sesh/festival/day at work :D

TBH it seems these days everything we say is derogatory to someone somewhere in some part of the planet...
Maybe we should all just stop talking altogether ad use brainwaves instead (like thse aliens on HHG) :D

Last edited 2011

ima747(Posted 2011) [#7]
*slap*
what was that for?
you know what you thought...

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#8]
lol

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#9]
(northern thing perhaps?)
Never heard it called that either. Must be further up North possibly Scottish?
When i wake up with a hangover i always say i am "monging"
Funny I would have thought you would have said "S**T. What the hell was drinking last night. I'm never ever going to do that AGAIN!". Just like the rest of us.

Beaker(Posted 2011) [#10]
Mong and monging all come from mongoloid, explained here on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid_race

It's complex because it covers race and an overlap with a congenital condition simultaneously.

Extract from the wikipedia page above:
The concept originated with a now disputed typological method of racial classification.[43][44] All the -oid racial terms (e.g. Mongoloid, Caucasoid, Negroid, etc.) are now often controversial in both technical and non-technical contexts and may sometimes give offense no matter how they are used.[45] This is especially true of Mongoloid because it has also been used as a synonym for persons with Down Syndrome.[46] A shortened version of the term, mong or mongo, is also used in the United Kingdom, mainly Scotland. Contrary to popular beliefs, Mongoloid refers to diverse ethnical groups, and not to a homogeneous group.

Since people with Down syndrome may have epicanthic folds, the condition was widely called "Mongol" or "Mongoloid Idiocy".[47] John Langdon Down, for whom the syndrome was named, claimed in his book Observations on the Ethnic Classification of Idiots (1866) that the Mongol-like features represented an evolutionary degeneration when manifested in Caucasoids. The use of the term Mongoloid in a racial or medical context has therefore acquired negative connotations because of the connection with this racist view of the condition.

Just because you say "monging" and don't know the words history doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

I don't think it's particularly a scottish thing either.

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#11]
(simultaneous post, better explained by Beaker)

I would also point out that since the vast majority of people don't know about programming and don't care what language something is written in, it's not going to be immediately obvious to many people why you chose to name the game that way. Clear enough once you know what Monkey is, but most don't.

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#12]
Interesting...
So basically the word comes from mongols or people from mongolia having a specific eye fold being compared to people with downs syndrome.. (or vice versa)

It is a little strange how things get 'evolved' into other meanings though. Where i come from "monging out" is just a standardized expression among my peers to mean chilling out heavily afaik. There is no derogatory meaning attached to it as far as we are concerned, and just because it is a disputed(*) and derogatory expression in some(*) parts of the UK (anywhere else??) does not mean it is derogatory in others. Take the word Negro. That means black in italian (and latin afaik) but its use is derogatory in the UK and US. Does this make italians racist for using it? Don't get me wrong i am not trying to make argument for arguments sake, i think it is a good discussion. Lately a lot of people are getting fed up (me included) by saying a word that they have happily and quite innocently been using for years (quite innocently and not in a negative way) that is all of a sudden is deemed "inappropriate".

My point is, surely it should be about the language and -context- a word is used that makes it derogatory or offensive? (A pong game called mong for example ?!?? i mean wtf)
To me the name Mong is an amusing fusion of monkey and pong. Nothing more.

I personally do not want to offend anyone and would not deliberately do so, but sometimes i am not sure what to say anymore.

*acording to that wiki quote

Last edited 2011

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#13]
I know the term 'mong' in the same sense as Dave explains... I constantly call the other half it when she's getting on my wick... It usually revolves me being in the same room as her and repeatedly saying "Ming mong" over and over... I find it shuts her up!

Dabz

Beaker(Posted 2011) [#14]
I live in the Midlands and I too have used that expression without meaning any harm, as have lots of friends.

Point taken D4NM4N.

We are only suggesting that the name might not be ideal. It is upto him if he does something about it not. If you think games are all about providing fun and pleasure to people, the last thing you would want to do is offend or upset anyone, unless you consider games to be art and your intention is to do just that. (I doubt the latter in this case).

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#15]
True true

I think GFK is spot on though some people will find anything offensive, i guess it depends what your market is.

In this case though i don't thing Werdana has anything to worry about tbh (but it s up to him at the end of the day :)

Last edited 2011

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#16]
I have made 2 player pong in Blitz Monkey too :)

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#17]
Classes are the same as Types in BlitzMax... although I dont think you use them either, or you didnt.

lol, I always use types. Sometimes, far too many ;)

"Mong" is a derogatory term for someone with Down's Syndrome.

I was totally unaware of this. Just wanted a monkeyriffic name for pong.
Didn't mean to be offensive!

I have made 2 player pong in Blitz Monkey too :)

Nice! I'll work on adding some more features to mine. Or just forget about it, and start
on a more interesting monkey project, lol.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#18]
How about calling it Ponkey? :-D

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#19]
Nah you cannot call it that either :O

In someone's backyard it may imply that people with body odour issues smell and are in someway comparable to donkeys.

:D

Call it "121212121212"

should be safe with that.....

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#20]
Call it Monkey Tennis.

</Alan Partridge>

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#21]
*Off Topic*

Take the word Negro. That means black in italian (and latin afaik)

I think that's niger in latin, hence Nigeria.

*On Topic*
Call it "Super Hyper Monkey Colour Bat-Ball Xtreme!"

Last edited 2011

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#22]
It could have been worse. WERDNA could have called it Ponkey and that has many different meanings (look it up in the Urban Dictionary). Though Pongkey/Pingkey looks like a safe bet.

Last edited 2011

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#23]
lol. I find it interesting that the name has launched such a lengthy discussion. To avoid
this, I shall officially rename it 'GAME: The beginning'

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#24]
It could have been worse. WERDNA could have called it Ponkey and that has many different meanings
LOL! I knew it :D

@werdana.. carefull you don't want to upset the beggars.. um.. i mean the "domestically challenged" by using the word "begining" ;P

I say stick with "Mong".

Last edited 2011

big10p(Posted 2011) [#25]
Call it Monkey Tennis.
Perfect!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#26]
Down South (Wales) mong is used as dave describes.

Call it Monkey Tennis.

Perfect!

Problem solved lol :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#27]
Well it seems I've been educated as to what Ponkey means.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#28]
Werdna, call it Pongkey Monkey, that'll raise some interest.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2011) [#29]
Monkey Pong

therevills(Posted 2011) [#30]
Monkey Pong

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=94122

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#31]
I think I'll just drop the continuation of this project(Since how far can you really take pong anyways?)
and work on remaking my RoboAttack game. That should be pretty fun to play, especially
on a phone!

EDIT:
(Since how far can you really take pong anyways?)

lol, just realized that I, the guy who made ping pong battle just said that, lol!

I really am a noob basket sometimes :)

Last edited 2011