WIP: Invaders

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/WIP: Invaders

therevills(Posted 2011) [#1]
In HTML5/Flash and Android:

http://www.therevillsgames.com/monkey/invaders/invaders.html

Using the great Xenon 2000 graphics :)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#2]
Very Good :)

Did you Made Flash game in Monkey? It is shame that I couldnt afford FULL Version Monkey as I am saving Moneys for USA :(

Last edited 2011

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#3]
as I saving Moneys for USA

It'll take a lot more than a few bucks to save the USA :-)

WIP: Invaders

Is the delay between pressing left/right and the ship moving, intentional?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#4]
Did you Made Flash game in Monkey?

Yep :)

the delay

What delay? errr no... Just tested and when I click the game screen I can press left/right and the ship moves straight away - there is accerlation...

What browser are you using Brucey? OS?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#5]
Could I make Flash game in Monkey demo or Do I have buy the full version Blitz Monkey to make Flash game?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
Could I make Flash game in Monkey demo or Do I have buy the full version Blitz Monkey to make Flash game?
You asked exactly the same question on Indiecodez last night. The demo cannot do anything beyond HTML5.

You have to pay for it to do anything else.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#7]
Interesting to compare them side by side :)

One question though, where are the invaders? :S

CGV(Posted 2011) [#8]
Nice!

I tried it in Firefox and Chrome and noticed no delay between key presses and movement.

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#9]
no delay here either, nice little demo

therevills(Posted 2011) [#10]
where are the invaders?

They are Work In Progress Invaders :P

Soon ;)

Anyone tried the Android version yet?

Last edited 2011

EOF(Posted 2011) [#11]
35 to 40 FPS on my Galaxy S. Accelerometer, touch, graphics, and sound all working

I am getting a really sluggish feel to the game though. I don't know why Monkey demos are performing badly on my phone

How is it running on your phone?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#12]
You have to pay for it to do anything else.

Looks like I might be treating myself at the start of next month to full on Monkey, I've got some Blitz3D that I can focus on in the mean time ;)

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#13]
Slight update....

Invaders... now contains Invaders :P

This has really slowed the Android version down some what!!! I now get 25-30FPS when playing... I'd hate to see what Jim gets! (before the Invaders were added I was getting 50+FPS).

EOF(Posted 2011) [#14]
25 to 30 FPS. Same as you
Initially the game started out painfully slow (5 FPS) for ~10 seconds then stabilised at 25 .. 30 FPS

Incidently, pressing BACK key then HOME I see task manager reports the game is eating 10% CPU time. This is bad. Android shows the app as red. It suggests to me the game is still running (timers are firing away)

Last edited 2011

taumel(Posted 2011) [#15]
It shows 60FPS on HTML-5. I like the graphics of the spaceship and the aliens, moody background. Problem is, with this collision test it's already enough just to stand at one position and hitting space as fast as you can, i stopped hitting poor spacebar on level 13. Either you have to improve the collision test or at least make the asteroids non destructable, so that the player is forced to move from time to time.

Last edited 2011

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#16]
Why dont you reduce Invaders on the screen like from 5 in rows to 3 in rows to keep the framesrate up on smart phone would be good idea.....as I guess I am guessing as I dont know much about getting high framerates on smart phone

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#17]
i stopped hitting poor spacebar on level 13

youve got a longer attention span than i

EOF(Posted 2011) [#18]
I created a simple app to test what FPS I can get on my phone. I can get a maximum of 112 FPS.

Anyone else want to test? -> BounceBall APK

The spinner can be used to set the number of ticks per second. The lower the value the fast the update rate
Switching the accelerometer on/off has no notable performance hit on my device

Last edited 2011

degac(Posted 2011) [#19]
Timer:0 Accel:off FPS 54-61 (every time I touch the screen FPS drop to 47 for 1 sec)

Timer: 5 Accel:off FPS 55-61
Timer: 10 Accel:off FPS 34-41
Timer: 10 Accel:on FPS 32-39

LG Optimus ONE

therevills(Posted 2011) [#20]
It suggests to me the game is still running

Mark is aware of this, and have told me that he has fixed it... awaiting the next version of Monkey :)

Problem is, with this collision test it's already enough just to stand at one position

Yeah I know... still WIP :P

Why dont you reduce Invaders on the screen like from 5 in rows to 3 in rows to keep the framesrate up on smart phone would be good idea

Thats so good... I already did it :P In Android you only 4 x 4 aliens, for Flash/HTML5 you get 8 x 5.

@Jim, Ill test it when I get I home from work - how did you write the app?

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#21]
Just tested your bouncing ball app Jim:

Timer: 10 Accel:off FPS 38-41
Timer: 10 Accel:on FPS 39-42

I you hold your finger on the screen FPS drops below 22.

Oh... and I could one just see the accelerometer button, only could just touch it :P

Jason W.(Posted 2011) [#22]
Jim,

I get 111-112 fps with 0 m/secs timer. (does not matter if Accel is enabled)

We might have the same phone. I have a Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy I9000).

Jason

MGE(Posted 2011) [#23]
Nice tech demo Revills! Thanks for sharing, a couple of questions if you don't mind. :)

Are you using delta time for moving things around?

Did you set the flash frame rate at 60?

Thx!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#24]
Are you using delta time for moving things around?

Yep - using the Delta timing sample code by James Boyd (its included with Monkey)

Did you set the flash frame rate at 60?

Yes... Ive messed with other values, but 60 seems good :)

EOF(Posted 2011) [#25]
Any chance of an updated Android version?
I see Mark is now using GL for Android and improved the pause/resume situation. It would be nice to test this improvement on my phone

therevills(Posted 2011) [#26]
Thanks for reminding me Jim :)

Ive uploaded the OpenGL version.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#27]
I'd be curious too to see if the change to GL for Android in the l;atest monkey release would affect your framerates much...

therevills(Posted 2011) [#28]
There is a quite a performance increase from the Canvas to OpenGL, it plays a lot smoother on my phone.

http://www.therevillsgames.com/monkey/invaders/MonkeyGame.apk

Looking at the generated Java that Monkey spits out, Monkey is still using Bitmaps... have to see how well it goes with a tilemap etc.

If you watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-62tRHLcHk

Around 18:23, you can see that the developer has used textures for the sprites and VBOs for the tilemap.

Last edited 2011

EOF(Posted 2011) [#29]
Thanks theevils

Performance is a whole lot better now. On my Galaxy S the game never dips below 63FPS
Also the game is pausing nicely when I press HOME. That is, all sounds stop playing and CPU usage falls to ~0.6%

One slight glitch, the background does not fill the entire screen. There is around 8% unused at the bottom so anything drawing there (such as the lower part of the ship) will leave old graphic trails

Still, a big improvement since the first release!