Monkey Business

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey Business

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#1]
I have a few questions about Monkey. I know I should post over on the Monkey forums but...

I've been trying to compile a regular app for windows for a couple hours now. Should I choose STDCPP or GLFW? I don't know. It doesn't say. Do I need to download GLFW and OpenAL? I don't know. It doesn't say... I tried to install C++ 2010 Express and instead it stalled XNA, Windows Phone Development Tools, SilverLight version 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (ok i exaggerated a bit). But it installed about 455mb of stuff when it said all I needed was C++ 2010 Express.

I'm still trying to compile a regular windows .exe. I'm patient though. Can someone help me please.

Last edited 2011

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#2]
And for the 100th time I get this...

Translating MonkVE2
C:/Users/Tony/Desktop/MonkeyPro30/bin/trans_winnt -target=glfw -run C:/Users/Tony/Desktop/MonkeyPro30/projects/MonkVE2.monkey

TRANS monkey compiler V1.02
Parsing...
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
Microsoft (R) Build Engine Version 4.0.30319.1
[Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 4.0.30319.1]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2007. All rights reserved.

Build started 3/3/2011 7:40:59 AM.
Project "C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\MonkeyPro30\projects\MonkVE2.build\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.sln" on node 1 (default targets).
ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
  Building solution configuration "Debug|Win32".
Project "C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\MonkeyPro30\projects\MonkVE2.build\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.sln" (1) is building "C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\MonkeyPro30\projects\MonkVE2.build\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj" (2) on node 1 (default targets).
C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\MonkeyPro30\projects\MonkVE2.build\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj(18,3): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.
Done Building Project "C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\MonkeyPro30\projects\MonkVE2.build\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.
Done Building Project "C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\MonkeyPro30\projects\MonkVE2.build\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.sln" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\MonkeyPro30\projects\MonkVE2.build\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\MonkeyPro30\projects\MonkVE2.build\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj" (default target) (2) ->
  C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\MonkeyPro30\projects\MonkVE2.build\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj(18,3): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

0 Warning(s)
    1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.76
TRANS Failed to execute 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe /p:Configuration=Debug MonkeyGame.sln', return code=1

Process Complete

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#3]
I click on C++ Express 2010 and it downloads something called "vm_web.exe". Then it just installs Windows Phone Development, XNA 4.0 and Silverlight....

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#4]
Look into the docu, it is described there. I would explain it right here now but I am on my phone right now so I have to keep it short.

stdcpp is only for command line stuff. You want GLFW and for that you MUST install VC2010 including the .NET 4.0 framework.

Be sure to set the correct pathes in the config file within the monky bin directory as well. I will write some tuts, already have done it in german...

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#5]
Oh and you have to only install VC with the .NET Framework. Personally I have downloaded the ISO image which contains everything. You can take a look into my forum as well under GLFW, even though it is written in German the steps should be clear. GL! :)

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks for the reply. When I go to the link in monkey it downloads vm_web.exe which only installs the windows phone development stuff, xna 4.0, and silverlight. Not sure what's up with that...

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#7]
You want GLFW and for that you MUST install VC2010 including the .NET 4.0 framework.

Funny how Monkey insists on Visual Studio when GLFW also works with GCC... (and even ships with the required libraries, apparently). Oh well... Good luck Windows folks :-)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#8]
Hehe. GLFW works with Mac as well, there you need XCode...

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#9]
Chroma I guess vm_web.exe might be the wrong one, not sure here.

Did you really select Visual C++?

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#10]
Yep it is. The correct one is vc_web.exe. The link in monkey goes straight to the wrong one. Bout caused me to have a total spazz even thought I was doing my best to stay calm. When you shell out $120 and all you get is Build FAILED over and over....holy corn holio...your patience evaporates like a teaspoon full of water on Venus.

But that's why I have to endure this stuff...so you can read this and find the right file to download lol.

Just remember.... "vc_web.exe"!! or click below...

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-cpp-express

Last edited 2011

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#11]
SUCCESS!! Native windows app created. I love you again Mark. ;) Ok...now let the games begin!!

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#12]
And for anyone wanting to just make a windows .exe. You would install this:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-cpp-express

And when you compile/run you would choose GLFW.

Oh..and install OpenAL too...

Last edited 2011