Monkey wine/vm

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey wine/vm

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#1]
Has anyone who has bought it got it running in wine? Or a windows VM (does it need acceleration?)
The demo doesn't, which is a shame seeing as BlitzMax (windows) worked.

i would post on the forum but i cannot until i buy it.
(and i am not buying it if i cannot use it on my main development machine)

Also, anyone know if a linux version is comming?

Last edited 2011

Beaker(Posted 2011) [#2]
It works fine in Parallels on Mac.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
Also, anyone know if a linux version is comming?

It does show the linux penguin under 'monkey targets' on the 'about' page on the monkey site, so I'd assume so...

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#4]
When i try and run monk.exe i get EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

fixme:richedit:ITextDocument_fnRange stub 0x2b7338
fixme:richedit:ITextDocument_fnFreeze stub 0x2b7338

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#5]
anyone know if a linux version is comming?

The open-source version is coming... and one of the targets is C++ (i.e. native binary), isn't it?

i.e. Mark might not make one, but someone undoubtedly will.

In fact... if it can self-compile and it works properly, surely you could compile it to HTML5 and run it (slowly) pretty much anywhere?

Either that or I've totally misunderstood this whole thing.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#6]
I am not talking about the output target i am talking about the dev tools ide etc...
I suppose i could use a VM, but it is a bit annoying, i would rather have it seamless.

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#7]
I am not talking about the output target i am talking about the dev tools ide etc...

I don't know about the Monk IDE - most likely that's done some other way - but Mark's repeatedly made reference to the Monkey compiler being written in Monkey. So what I was trying to say above was that once the compiler source becomes available, it should be a simple matter of running it over itself to create a Monkey compiler that runs on one of the other target platforms.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#8]
ah righty

*(Posted 2011) [#9]
I got it running in Wine (didnt really think it was an issue seeing as its got a Mac OSX 10.6 version :) )

Pengwin(Posted 2011) [#10]
As I am still on OSX10.5, I tried out the demo under VirtualBox. No problems at all.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#11]
@Edz
What wine version/OS were you using?