Monkey forum

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey forum

therevills(Posted 2011) [#1]
I can see General Discussion getting packed with Q&As for monkey, could we have a small monkey forum for the demo/free version of monkey?

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#2]
I agree, perhaps place it along with the other Miscellaneous forums, just under Linux Discussion, so it doesn't get in the middle of the current layout.
Also it'd be nice to submit a news entry about in to the News section.

Last edited 2011

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2011) [#3]
Yeah lets get a Monkey forum. I'm all for it.

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#4]
Yeah lets get a Monkey forum. I'm all for it
There is an entire Monkey forum.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#5]

There is an entire Monkey forum.

Only for owners of the full version of monkey... because monkey is pd and I guess a lot of people from this forum will play with it and ask questions here (blitzbasic.com) and to keep things nice and neat, we really need one here.

Last edited 2011

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#6]

Only for owners of the full version of monkey... because monkey is pd and I guess a lot of people from this forum will play with it and ask questions here (blitzbasic.com) and to keep things nice and neat, we really need one here.

therevills, will a skip button do? :P

*Dabz runs*

Dabz

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#7]
we really need one here.
The product isn't even sold via this site. It would make more sense to open one of the monkey forums up to unregistered users, however BRL is handling it the same as they do the other BRL products: The forum is for registered users only.

Since the PD version of Monkey hasn't been released yet, it is really a non issue. Perhaps BRL will consider a paid support/forum access for those who only want to use the PD version when it is released.

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#8]
I've added a forum at IndieCodez for Monkey if people want to discuss this amonst themselves without clogging up here...

http://www.indiecodez.com/forum/index.php/board,57.0.html

Dabz

Last edited 2011

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#9]
Good man, Dabhand!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#10]
@Dabz - Thanks!

Since the PD version of Monkey hasn't been released yet, it is really a non issue

But the free/demo version has...

Like I said before people from this forum which has access here will ask questions here and so it would make sense to have a forum here for monkey for these users...

Yes I agree with you that a free forum over on the Monkey forums makes more sense :)

But meh... lets just jump over to Indiecodez and talk about the free monkey there :P

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#11]

Good man, Dabhand!

Well, I do try... I mean I whinge a lot... But I do try! ;) Hehehe

Dabz

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#12]
But the free/demo version has...
Right or wrong, BRL traditionally only lets registered users access their forums. If you are trying the demo/trial version of a BRL product you are generally SOL.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#13]
BRL traditionally only lets registered users access their forums

Thats kind of the point... we are registered users on this forum, I have only bought BlitzMax, but I have access to all the forums on this site.

Since monkey is part of BRL the registered users on this forum will ask questions about monkey here as they have only got access here...

We already have quite a few posts in General Discussion about monkey... I can only see this getting bigger and wouldnt it be better if all these questions be in one place on this forum?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#14]
Would I would be able to register it even thought I using the demo at the moment....because it isnt fair on blitzbasic forum that if I keep posting Blitz Monkeys question on this forum...

Last edited 2011

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#15]
I can only see this getting bigger and wouldnt it be better if all these questions be in one place on this forum?
Matter of opinion ;)

Since monkey is part of BRL
But, it is not a part of this site. BRL seems to be wanting to give monkey a fresh start with its own site and forums. Not necessarily a bad thing, IMHO.

Would look rather silly (IMHO) for there to be a dedicated forum on this site for a product not even being sold on this site. However, we already have that as we have three Blitz3D SDK forums and that product is no longer being sold. But when it was, it was sold here.

IMHO, BRL should integrate Monkey to an extent on this site (sales and ads) because I am sure many Blitz users only visit the forums on occasion and may not even be aware of Monkey. And unless they visit often enough to see a recent Monkey-mention thread that hasn't dropped off, they could be completely unaware of the new product.

Since the product just hit, I am sure BRL will be configuring things around as they see fit and if there is a need by the community. I have no interest in Monkey, but BRL seems to be off to a good start with the handling of it, so far. I am sure they will tweak things if there is a need and when they have time.

FWIW, the Monkey site looks awesome. Great job on the site design.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#16]
@GaryV - Thats fine... it was only a suggestion :P

@Hotshot - Nope, you need to buy monkey to get access to the forums, sign up to IndieCodez ;)

Great job on the site design.

Yeah Simonh really did a good job there :)

davidboy(Posted 2011) [#17]
Hi,

Please combine blitzbasic.com forum and monkeycoder.co.nz forum into one forum. Thank you.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#18]
Jeez you guys are never happy

gameproducer(Posted 2011) [#19]
Another vote for Monkey forum here... no point stuffing General Discussion with monkey talk

taumel(Posted 2011) [#20]
+1

I quite don't see a benefit of splitting the users on two forums. There isn't a lot of activity over there as well.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#21]
Hi all,

I've created a german community forum (as a niche ;) ) here:

http://www.monkeycoder.de

Feel free to join! I'd like to enhance this page to much more than the forum alone but this is a first start...

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2011) [#22]
GaryV:

Yes I found out just after my reply.

LineOf7s(Posted 2011) [#23]
Current 'Active Topics' on The Official Blitz Website:

Maybe if it's going to be here anyway we could corral it into a subforum? Rampant monkey is no good for anyone.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#24]
Come to me and I will tell your future :P

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#25]
I think there should be a monkey forum here for registered blitz users trying the demo, if only to keep General Discussion from clogging up.

degac(Posted 2011) [#26]
+1 to John Galt

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#27]
lol I think it would be a good idea :D

taumel(Posted 2011) [#28]
Threads like this are the reason why Mark hates us so. :O)

Last edited 2011

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#29]
lol, probably.

But I agree, there should be some kind of a single sub forum with write access for all monkey (demo) coders but not here but in the official monkey forum.

In the long run this might become obsolete, I don't know. But as Mark wants to attract new customers beside this awesome (and mad :D ) blitz community he should add that.

MCP(Posted 2011) [#30]
Agreed. The forums are filling up with cheeky monkey chatter that's best suited for the official monkey forums. New Blitzers are going to be confused.
Perhaps the official monkey forum can have a guest section for demo users to write their feedback as Xaron suggested?

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#31]
Me again. I've created a english forum at my site. As the domain is exactly the same as the original, it should be easy to remember. ;)

Feel free to join: http://www.monkeycoder.de

I have my doubts that Mark will change its policy regarding the forums. There is no guest area here as well for non blitzers...

H&K(Posted 2011) [#32]
Is it possible to have one forum on two sites?

That is could a sub forum here (say Monkey demo), be hosted at monkey but accessed here?

That way ppl who want monkey but dont know (or dont want to know) about here could search/post at monkey but we still get there posts? And any answers are posted to both sites?

Im all for haveing a forum here, but think it will just mean NEW users will miss out on any thread here as they would only have Monkey site access

Last edited 2011