Monkey is out!

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey is out!

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

Monkey is out!

New site + demo is here:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#2]
YES! THANKS! WOW! WOhooo!

big10p(Posted 2011) [#3]
I was here first.

[edit] damn, no i wasnt

Last edited 2011

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#4]
I thought this was another fake thread!?!?
this is unexpected
,thanks!

the price and demo-conditions are fair

Last edited 2011

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#5]
Nice! :D

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#6]
Will the site and forums be linked to the Blitz ones at any point?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#7]
Yay.... I knew I would crack him in the end!!!

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#8]
Bought it and can't register because my code is already in use?

ERROR:The registration code you have entered is already in use.

WTF?

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#9]
Downloading the demo now. Thanks a bundle Mark. Since my birthday is in a few days,
this could make a very nifty present indeed!

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#10]
About time! :P

I'm really tempted to go and get it... But, I'm holding off until Nags is finished, I've been going for three weeks on it and theres no way I'm starting again and having it sitting there will only tempt me! :D

Anyway... Congrats on the release BRL... Hope she does well!

Dabz

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#11]
Hi,

> ERROR:The registration code you have entered is already in use.

Xaron, can you send me registration code you received, and I'll sort you out. Email too: blitzmunter at gmail dot com.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#12]
SIBLY BE PRAISED! It has generics! WOOO!

... who says I overreact to little things?

LarsG(Posted 2011) [#13]
Sweet... and congratulations..

taking a look at the site now. :)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#14]
Thanks Mark! Have send you a mail!

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#15]
I just had to pay a 1000 euro bill for my car, so I'll hold out for a while :-).

Cool to see it has been released but I'm not getting it yet. Not really my target and so far it seems a little bit limited. But I guess with some time it will grow as awesome and probably more awesome than BlitzMax.

I'm at least keeping my eye on it, that's for sure! And congrats with the release Mark Sibly, and everyone who helped getting this monkey ready.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#16]
Great!

Just had to pay stupid car tax, so I'll have a couple weeks faffing with the demo. Really impressive so far, though.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#17]
Congratulations. Hope it does well for you.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2011) [#18]
Bugger, there goes my productivity!

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#19]
Hi,

> ERROR:The registration code you have entered is already in use.

Ok, fixed this - should be one off thing!

It was actually the code shareit sent me when I did a 'test order' and signed up to the site to make sure everything was OK. It's actually in use by 'The Fonz' right now!

Xaron has been sent a new code and everything seems to be working sweetly now.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#20]
Henry Winkler bought Monkey? Man, you gotta get him to write a testimonial!

Warner(Posted 2011) [#21]
Congrats! Cute monkey logo.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#22]
Yep thanks Mark! The problem has been resolved lighting fast!

Last edited 2011

Raz(Posted 2011) [#23]
Bought!

Now to actually look at it

gameproducer(Posted 2011) [#24]
lol @big10p

CS_TBL(Posted 2011) [#25]
from the manual:

Print “Hello World”[4..] ‘prints “o W’
Print “Hello World”[..5] ‘prints “Hello”
Print “Hello World”[5..] ‘prints “World”
Print “Hello World”[..] ‘prints “Hello World”

bold line = correct?

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#26]
I guess this will lead to part IV as well sooner or later... LOL

therevills(Posted 2011) [#27]
Well done!

Just downloaded the demo and fired up "Monk"...

BTW The HTML files do not display correctly in Monk - it displays raw HTML... if you access them via the Nav tab - is this right?

Last edited 2011

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#28]
So monkey itself is NOT open source I guess (as far as I can see)?

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#29]
Just had a go at the demo. I like how the IDE looks pretty much the same as BlitzMax,
since that allowed me to jump into things right away. What are the possibilities of
monkey being able to make Facebook games?

Cheers Mark,

therevills(Posted 2011) [#30]
First feature request for Monk - allow the user to set the browser it opens!

Im quickly testing it work and since I do web development here I have several browsers installed, but my default is IE6... and of course IE6 doesnt support HTML5!

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#31]
Hi,

> So monkey itself is NOT open source I guess (as far as I can see)?

Monkey is PD, Mojo is proprietary. See README.TXT files for more info.

Noobody(Posted 2011) [#32]
Just to check whether I understand correctly: I should be able to compile for all supported platforms with the free version of Monkey granted I installed the required compilation tools?

I can do without Mojo for now, but compiling for multiple platforms (especially native Windows) would be neat.

Also, the Monkey compiler is public domain (thanks, Mark!), but is it open source as well?

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#33]
AH thanks Mark. Haven't read it yet. PD doesn't mean the source will be available? I'm fine with that anyway.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#34]
Woop I was' to say ban him!
But then I read the name.

Thanks mark will check it out.

taumel(Posted 2011) [#35]
Awesome! :O)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#36]

allow the user to set the browser it opens!

Docs can be launched via external browser in IDE Options; HTML5 test browser can be set in config file in /bin.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#37]

Also, the Monkey compiler is public domain (thanks, Mark!), but is it open source as well?

Not at home right now, but the source is in /bin I think.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#38]
(You're looking for trans.monkey.)

therevills(Posted 2011) [#39]

HTML5 test browser can be set in config file in /bin.

Thanks James!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#40]
My first monkey code:

Import mojo

Global testApp:MyApp

Function Main()
	testApp = New MyApp()
End Function

Class MyApp Extends App
	Field i:Int

Method OnCreate()
		SetUpdateRate 60
	End Method

Method OnRender()
		DrawText "MONKEY IS OUT", 10, i
		DrawText "i = " + i, 100, 10
	End Method

Method OnUpdate()
		i = i + 10
	End Method
End Class

:D

Fixed spelling mistake - Thanks Steve!!!

Last edited 2011

degac(Posted 2011) [#41]
I cant' believe!
Monkey is here!
A new site!
A new forum!
...on monday!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I need to wait until the weekend!!!!

Many thanks!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#42]
Mark gets his Monkey out, lol. Congrats.

@therevills - money is out? Where? Can I have some pleese?

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#43]
Hi,

> Just to check whether I understand correctly: I should be able to compile for all supported platforms with the free version of Monkey granted I installed the required compilation tools?

That's the idea, but it doesn't quite work yet - some targets are still dependent on Mojo, even if you don't use Mojo. This will be fixed eventually, but right now the only targets that work without Mojo are html5 and stdcpp. The stdcpp target does however mean monkey is fully self-compiling.

There will be a proper 'open source' release of Monkey minus any proprietary stuff (ie: Mojo) soon. I just want to get the initial commercial launch out of the way first.

Note that the demo does not include complete source for trans - it includes source for the trans modules but not the trans driver program! It shouldn't really include either - it's meant to be more of a Mojo demo. My bad, the trans driver source WILL be made available when the open source release happens though.

Last edited 2011

Sphinx(Posted 2011) [#44]
Congrats Mark and wishing you the best.

Downloading but it is slow like hell!!!
I do not know what is wrong with downloading from the Blitz sites (or may be NewZealand sites), other sites downloads great for me!!

I tried many browsers and many download managers and downloads slow and getting slower till it die completely!!!

Can anyone help?!

Last edited 2011

okee(Posted 2011) [#45]
Thanks

GrahamK(Posted 2011) [#46]
Nice work Mark,
Looking good.

Noobody(Posted 2011) [#47]
Alright, thanks for the clarification! It all sounds very promising.

Mahan(Posted 2011) [#48]
Bought just because BRL products rock!

How similar is stdcpp target to old blitzmax?

Is it possible to use external modules (like the BMX module for xors3d, dll interface) in monkey when compiling for stdcpp?

Qcat(Posted 2011) [#49]
Nice Job! just got my copy

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#50]
Hi,

> How similar is stdcpp target to old blitzmax?

Not very - it's just a very minimal 'command line app' style target. Combined with a experimental, WIP 'system' module, it's enough to build trans with though.

We actually had a version of trans going on the server which will probably be activated at some point - perhaps for [mojo] [/mojo] tags in the forum!

Panno(Posted 2011) [#51]
Congratulation Mr.Sibly

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#52]
Hmm, will there be no Linux version? I kinda find Windows and Mac a bit obsolete.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#53]
Hmm, will there be no Linux version? I kinda find Windows and Mac a bit obsolete
There's always one...

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#54]
Hmm, will there be no Linux version? I kinda find Windows and Mac a bit obsolete.

Uhh?

Monkey is so cross-platform that you're not even stuck to PCs any more!

i.e. as soon as the open-source release comes along, you will presumably be able to build it yourself for all major operating systems? (That should sort the real-Linux-users from the boys, too!)

Last edited 2011

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#55]
I see there is already newer version in product updates than the one in the share*it link
(in case anyone hadn't noticed yet)

Murilo(Posted 2011) [#56]
It isn't working for me on my iMac :(

I double click on the monk application, and nothing happens! I have the latest Xcode installed.

Last edited 2011

N(Posted 2011) [#57]
Can't get the IDE running under Mac OS using the 29b demo. Will try to get it working via command-line in the meantime. Not sure what's up, I think Mac OS might just be acting a little paranoid. Anyway, this got spat into the console:

(codebox'd to prevent the addition of horizontal scrollbars in this thread)

Edit 2: Also getting this error after fiddling with permissions a bit (basically making it wide open).
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Users/noel/Desktop/MonkeyDemo29b/monk.app

Edit: Yeah, same as the guy above me.

Edit 3: Looks like monk needs to be chmod'd +x. Works now.

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

taumel(Posted 2011) [#58]
Okay i just bought it but what was weird is that providing my VAT didn't make any difference with the price, Mark?

CS_TBL(Posted 2011) [#59]
Fiddling around a bit with a large monkey. Perhaps it's a matter of RTFM, but I dunno.. if anyone knows?

The color class, the Set method. I'm converting a string slice to int. But it appears int("0") gives 48 as a result (the ascii of "0"). Is this normal? Or is there a more Blitz'ish way to convert a string to int?

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#60]
Nilium, what app did you use to unpack the zip? Someone else on the monkey site also had problems with executable permissions being dropped...

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#61]
Hi,

> Can't get the IDE running under Mac OS using the 29b demo

chmod +x on 'Monk.app/Contents/MacOS/Monk' and 'bin/trans_macos' seems to fix it.

I suspect this may be happening because I'm zipping the demo on the PC.

But I don't know why it's not happening to me - perhaps because I've successfully run it in the past?

Anyway, I've uploaded a new demo - same thing, zipped on Mac. Please try and see if it fixes the problem.

Grrr...hate the way Mac is 'special' sometimes!

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#62]
CS_TBL, string[0] is indexing the string as array of ints (equivalent to string.CharCodeAt(0)), String[0..1] is a slice which you can then cast to Int.

CS_TBL(Posted 2011) [#63]
uh.. so, we can't convert a single digit number from string to int?

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#64]
Hi,

It all works pretty much exactly like bmx: str[i] returns a char code, str[x..y] returns a string and Int( str ) converts a string to int.

Last edited 2011

Warner(Posted 2011) [#65]
It works real well. And it looks familiair, which is good. I just wonder: is there no Goto command?

taumel(Posted 2011) [#66]
Come on, this sucks! I got an order number but they need to validate the order, i hate this shop, bah. :O/

CS_TBL(Posted 2011) [#67]
Oh, ok.. guess it's me using Mid() since Blitzmax, never sliced numerical things like that, only text - if ever I had to slice anything anyway.

Print Int("456"[0..1])

gives 4

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2011) [#68]
YESS!

Way to go Mark.

Well I did try the Demo for a few minutes and the I got the full version.

Last edited 2011

Murilo(Posted 2011) [#69]
29c works fine on my iMac - Cheers Mark.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#70]
How can I add Monkey to my BlitzBasic account, where I have Blitz3D and BlitzMax? When I try to order Monkey, it forces me some wierd e-mail address as login, like with -2 at the end of my e-mail.

EDIT: Nm, it was only the share!*IT account.

Last edited 2011

Matthew Smith(Posted 2011) [#71]
Mark,

Congrats on the release - purchased and awaiting my registration code. woohoo!

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#72]
It takes about 0.0001ms to get the registration code if you have a fast web browser, like SeaMonkey. I just ordered it and downloaded the pro version.

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#73]
Good job, Team BRL!

ima747(Posted 2011) [#74]
Congrats on the release! Can't wait to find the time to sink my teeth in, get hooked, make the purchase, dig deeper, etc. etc. a brave new world...

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#75]
Now that I don't have to pester Mark for answers, time for some questions.

How does file handling work? On iOS and Mac, can I retrieve the folders which Apple want me to save data to easily?

Does Mojo batch draw calls, at least on iOS and Android? If I draw the same tile twenty times, how many draw calls?

Can I use the LVL licensing system to check that my application is registered? Or does Monkey handle this automatically?

Same as above for iOS' licensing.

taumel(Posted 2011) [#76]
@Lumooja
Not really, it took more than an hour and the VAT is still not applied properly.

N(Posted 2011) [#77]
> Nilium, what app did you use to unpack the zip?

Unarchiver. It's unlikely to be the issue here, as Monkey is the only thing to exhibit this issue. Mark's most likely right, since Windows hates to properly support file modes.

siread(Posted 2011) [#78]
Congrats Mark. Just purchased. :)

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#79]
Unarchiver. It's unlikely to be the issue here, as Monkey is the only thing to exhibit this issue. Mark's most likely right, since Windows hates to properly support file modes.

I think it is a combination of the two. My guess is Mark was using a windows zip program which doesn't preserve executable permission but Apple's standard Archive Utility reassigns the bit when it deems it appropriate. The Unarchiver website mentions version 2.4 features:

Some fixes for the handling of file permissions, to better match Archive Utility.

Mark, in future you may want to look at using dmg for distribution, Applications->Utilities->DiskUtility then from main menu New->Disk Image From Folder (select the folder that contains the Monkey folder so people can drag and drop to install.

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

_Skully(Posted 2011) [#80]
Before this comes up, anyone compiling to flash should get familiar with http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html

It allows flash compiled apps to run.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2011) [#81]
Hi,

Will monkey support 3d programming?

gameproducer(Posted 2011) [#82]
@Gabriel:
"How does file handling work? On iOS and Mac, can I retrieve the folders which Apple want me to save data to easily?"

See "mojo.app LoadString$(path$)"

"Returns the contents of a text file as a single string. ..... Monkey will only load files that end with the following file extensions: .txt, .xml, .json."

(Also see SaveState and LoadState)

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#83]

One of the bundled samples is a 3d raycaster (wolfenstein-style), so I guess technically the answer to that is "yes"...

(Realistically, though: it does NOT come with any Blitz3D-like 3D engine, although I guess there's nothing really stopping people from creating one...)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#84]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Monkey did 3d, then it would have to be platform specific. At this time, I think Monkey is trying to be non-specific, but it's probably inevitable to go the 3D route at some point.

But it's hard to tell. I tried to look through the docs (demo version) and there's still some tidying up to do.

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#85]
(Realistically, though: it does NOT come with any Blitz3D-like 3D engine, although I guess there's nothing really stopping people from creating one...)

I look forward to when Brucey starts coming out with some monkey modules :)

But it's hard to tell. I tried to look through the docs (demo version) and there's still some tidying up to do.

Yeah, I noticed that myself. Monkey seems a bit unfinished right now, but that will come
in time. And playing around with the demo was certainly fun, so I'm really looking forward
to how it evolves with future updates\modules.

Yahfree(Posted 2011) [#86]
YESS! I will purchase ASAP. This is going to make my mobile dev projects a lot easier!

wmaass(Posted 2011) [#87]
Just wanted to say congrats and thanks Mark - its Monkeytastic. I have to admit I got a bit antsy and started a major project using Flashpunk, might have to backtrack a bit now!

Last edited 2011

Eikon(Posted 2011) [#88]
an amazing language with so many possibilities, a day for the history books!

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#89]
Awesome! Seems I'm two days late to the party due to being at GDC! Will be investigating this soon.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#90]
Wow, thanks Mark, this is giving us new ways to make some money, thanks a lot.

As far as I see the 3D hardware in existing devices (if any) is still very individual and there is no such thing as DirectX or OpenGL for these devices (correct me if I'm wrong).

Somebody maybe will write a software renderer, but this is going to be very limited, compared to todays 3d hardware power.

There is support for XNA and therefor, as far as I undertand it, for the XBox360, maybe somebody will write/wrap a directX derivate that will work with Monkey and the XBox, but I would not bet on it. And it also wouldn't support all the other platforms Monkey supports so far.

If you want to write 3D games for PC/Mac/Linux then maybe something like BMax with one of the crossplatform 3D engines is better.

wmaass(Posted 2011) [#91]
Xynga made many, many millions last year off of 2D games. I love 3D but man, there is plenty to do in 2D.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#92]
Seems I'm two days late

Nope... it was just released today - 1st of March 2011 (Australia/New Zealand)...

Forum dates seem messed up for some reason!

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#93]
Forum dates seem messed up for some reason!

Forum dates always mess up for the first two days of every month.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#94]
Ah I see. OK so I got to the party on time, yay!

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#95]
Mark, congrats on releasing a new product, we all know it's hard =]

Bought it, going to play with it today. See you on the other boards, y'all.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2011) [#96]
If I click on any of the "Play Now!" buttons I get the error: "TypeError: Object doesn't support this property or method". Is a download required before these demos work or does it not work in IE 8 at all? If so that might be a problem as ~ 50% of internet users are still using IE 8 or below.

Example:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/topics.php?forum=1019&app_id=19

Darkheart

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#97]
IE8 doesnt support HTML5, download IE9 or Chrome...

For the 50% there is always Flash! :P

coffeedotbean(Posted 2011) [#98]
Now we wait for Jungle IDE http://www.blide.org/?p=584

MCP(Posted 2011) [#99]
Contratulations BRL for your latest release Monkey.

josk(Posted 2011) [#100]
Good work getting it released.

I installed Chrome again, for some reason I keep uninstalling chrome and going back to IE, cant remember why.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2011) [#101]
It needs to be a lot clearer that the "Play Now!" is not intended to work with IE8. Joe Blow is just going to click on the button, see the error, assume the platform doesn't work and go away forever.

I uninstalled Chrome because it was unstable as hell and kept crashing on every other page I went to or not displaying properly.

Darkheart

Warner(Posted 2011) [#102]
Seriously .. no Goto? Maybe it would be convenient if you are able to select which browser is used when clicking 'run'. Then, first run, show that dialog with the warning to select a html5 compatible browser.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2011) [#103]
Just so I get this right and I am 99.9% sure of this, I cannot afford monkey till the end of the month (also in work so cannot check out the docs) but if I use the demo HTML5 to write/convert my frame work I wont need to make any changes to the code to compile to iOS or Android in the full version?

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#104]
That is correct coffeedotbean. You only have to set up the SDKs correctly.

Yan(Posted 2011) [#105]
What's Monkey?

Bossti(Posted 2011) [#106]
Wow, 1 day I don't take a look at the forums and monkey gets its release -.-

Anyway: will try out the demo when I'm at home. Still 5 hours of work to go...ARRRRGH!

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#107]
@Yan: Monkey is like BlitzMax 2, it can compile the same program to multiple platforms and multiple application types (not only exe, but also htm, swf, etc...).

Last edited 2011

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#108]

It needs to be a lot clearer that the "Play Now!" is not intended to work with IE8. Joe Blow is just going to click on the button, see the error, assume the platform doesn't work and go away forever.

Agreed.

Roger(Posted 2011) [#109]
Would it be better to have the examples as flash rather than HTML5 to eliminate the issue of IE6/7/8 users getting no app displayed?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#110]
Would it be better to have the examples as flash rather than HTML5 to eliminate the issue of IE6/7/8 users getting no app displayed?
I agreed at one point, until I thought it through.

The examples can be whatever you want, can't they? Its just the demo that's limited to HTML5 which in fairness, anybody who is computer savvy enough to want to try out Monkey, is going to know IE6 doesn't support HTML5 anyway.

</$0.02>

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#111]
@coffeedotbean:
Now we wait for Jungle IDE
There's a BETA version available for people that place pre-orders of Jungle Ide. An official release of the Demo + Lite version will come very very soon. Hopefully next week. The launch time will depend on current private BETA progress. But honestly, just some very minor issues have been reported in the last 4 weeks, so it's quite stable and almost ready for a first public BETA release.

The free version + Demo will come once the beta period ends (or is open to all users), wich I hope will be soon. I need to improve some areas of intellisense first (regarding overloading, data-type inference and generics). Take into account that the free version will work as a demo for 30 days, and after this period it will have a reduced functionality (no intellisense and no folding). Other than that, full project management will be there and it'll be 100% compatible with the comercial version.

Last edited 2011

Roger(Posted 2011) [#112]
@Gfk

Sorry, I meant the app showcase should host flash versions rather than HTML5 versions as prospective customers might be put off by a whole lot of apps that 'dont work' (due to non HTML5 capable browser)

I'm guessing someones putting the apps up on the site, rather than direct user contributions? hence thinking someone could compile it in flash, even if the contributor only had the demo version.

Of course if their direct uploads by demo only users, then your point is taken....

Cheers

Roger

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#113]
I don't think 3D support for X360 would be particularly hard to add to monkey. I don't understand enouugh (anything!) yet about Monkey to know if it is open enough that anyone could add it or whether it would be something only Mark could do.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#114]
Anybody could add anything to it, as long as the native part is written. It should not be too complicated for a XNA expert.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#115]
I add always a failover message for IE users when I use HTML5 elements, like:
<audio src="somefile.ogg">Your browser does not support HTML5, please upgrade your browser to Mozilla SeaMonkey or Google Chrome.</audio>

Last edited 2011

CS_TBL(Posted 2011) [#116]
Wee stars!

taumel(Posted 2011) [#117]
Ah cool! You were quicker than me, i wanted to bring back some Amiga star code as well. :O)

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#118]
Anyone got Amiga code for hidden line removal 3D algorithm?
I want to make a 3D game like Star Wars coin game or Elite :)

taumel(Posted 2011) [#119]
On my Syquest... :O)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#120]
Congratulations Mark, Matt and to all the BRL team !

I'm around the world right now (picking avocados in Australia Queensland ^^) so I can't take some time to play with Monkey, but I keep an eye on it as well as Jungle IDE Ziggy !

Hope to find a few great tools when I'm back in September :D
Great news !

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#121]
Technically it might be able to add a few lines to the HTML5 template file used by Monkey to do a quick browsercheck and give an error message explaining the issue on unsupported browsers?

pls(Posted 2011) [#122]
Got it!

PLS

PS: now I need time to do something with it... :-(

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#123]
what does monkey use instead of ^2 ?

CS_TBL(Posted 2011) [#124]
No Monkey, no waves! (mousedown)

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#125]
nice demo

how do you do block comments??

e.g. Rem

is there an alternative to Apptitle?

Last edited 2011

gameproducer(Posted 2011) [#126]
Dunno about Apptitle, but for comments:

'you may block comments as here...

#rem
comments 
here
#end

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#127]
thanks

for some reason this doesnt compile:
Global ship_names:String[11]
ship_names[1]=""

gameproducer(Posted 2011) [#128]
This works:
' define somewhere
   Global ship_names:StringStack

' have somewhere else
Method ...
  ship_names = New StringStack		
  ship_names.Push("first ship")
  ship_names.Push("second ship")

Print ship_names.Get(1)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#129]
slenkar, you need to put the initialisation code in Main or some other function:

Global ship_names:String[11]

Function Main ()
    ship_names[1]=""
End

@CS_TBL: nice one!

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#130]
thanks

is there some kind of reflection or persistence with monkey?

(with json or similar)

taumel(Posted 2011) [#131]
Puh, finally a few minutes for some fun. @CS_TBL Hope you don't mind that i tweaked yours for his little Enterprise inspired fun. :O)

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

gameproducer(Posted 2011) [#132]
@taumel: mesmerizing

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#133]
There's always one...
Well there's two (puts hand up).. but i dont find windows or osx "obsolete", i just don't like them as much.
;D

I would really like a linux version too. Wine compat would be ok. VM if i -have- to i suppose but i haven't got one atm...
Unfortunately i cannot even try it out because my win machine 7 BSodded when i installed SP1 and all my disks are packed away in boxes (moving house).

Last edited 2011

Noobody(Posted 2011) [#134]
I've been messing around with Monkey and WebGL. You'll need a WebGL-capable browser to view this.

It's really simple, just a small setup of a square with a fragment shader drawing a Mandelbrot fractal. WebGL not supporting the fixed function pipeline makes it a lot messier than it used to, though.

Here's an image:

Maybe I'll try a small Monkey compatible WebGL3D-engine just for poops and giggles.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#135]
@Noobody:

I got this error "Could not initialise WebGL, sorry :-(" :(

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#136]
As far as I see the 3D hardware in existing devices (if any) is still very individual and there is no such thing as DirectX or OpenGL for these devices (correct me if I'm wrong).

Android and iPhone certainly both support OpenGL (the mobile ES version anyway) and that includes shaders. HTML5 kinda sorta has 3D support of a kind, as I understand. XNA doesn't have OpenGL, because it uses.. well.. XNA so I guess having to write a 3D engine which uses three different APIs to work across all platforms is going to be a bit much work to expect any one person to do.

See "mojo.app LoadString$(path$)"

"Returns the contents of a text file as a single string. ..... Monkey will only load files that end with the following file extensions: .txt, .xml, .json."

Aye, I was more interested in whether I can determine the correct place to write to. For iOS and OSX, there are specific recommended folders you have to write your saved data to or your apps are rejected. I was just wondering whether there's some way to retrieve those folders.

davidboy(Posted 2011) [#137]
To James Boyd ,

Hello,

Your PDF tutorial "Get started with Monkey" in the Monkey demo version is very very good. I like it very much. This PDF tutorial can really help a lot of programming learners...SURE!!! Thanks. I have two suggestions:

1. Many programming learners expect more. A 46-page tutorial is good but they expect more. If this PDF tutorial is from 150 pages to 200 pages, they will have more confidence in learning Monkey. I really hope that you will continue to write to increase the contents of this PDF tutorial. Thanks.

2. There is no time limit in this Monkey demo version. This is also very good! I remember that there is a 30 days (or 30 times) time limit in demo versions of other Blitz products. Many programming learners don't like time limit in demo version of compiler. They want to continue learning a programming language with demo version of compiler over 30 days. They will only buy the compiler after they have confidence in using this programming language. My suggestion is: don't add time limit to Monkey demo version in the future. Thank you.

gameproducer(Posted 2011) [#138]
Ooh... V30 out!

EOF(Posted 2011) [#139]
Would it be possible to have at least 1 compiled demo example available to test on a platform?
I want to see how an Android *.apk version works

Additional questions:

1. What happens if I rotate the phone? Does it destroy the display?
2. Does pressing the back button exit the app gracefully?
3. Is the menu button supported?
4. How do I incorporate an icon into the app?
5. Does installing a new version of an app overwrite the persistent data previously stored?

Ideally there needs to be extra options available for phone/tablets, such as "Portrait only", "Landscape only", "Both"
For now this is just a matter of tweaking the manifest

What would be good to see too from the IDE is when using New, it generates a standard framework and the relevant folders (for data etc..)

Last edited 2011

Ian Thompson(Posted 2011) [#140]
Eeek price+VAT = £100! Need to start lookin down the back chairs and shakin the wife upside down!

degac(Posted 2011) [#141]
@Ian Thompson

BlitzMax is 80 USD for 3 target: Win, Mac and Linux

Monkey is 120 USD for 8 (at the moment) target: win, mac, linux, android, iOS, XNA, HTML5, Flash (and WindowsPhone7)

The price is a bargain considering only the supported platform!

And plus monkey has a nice favicon/mascotte!

Last edited 2011

taumel(Posted 2011) [#142]
And to continue with such reasonable comparisons, mon(k)ey already is at v30 whilst BlitzMax is still stuck at v1.41.

Last edited 2011

Ian Thompson(Posted 2011) [#143]
Yeah, I realise that VAT etc... takes it toll ($160 total in UK)... its really annoying though but definitely not Marks fault at all.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#144]
Uh oh. For me it was around 113 Euro (incl. tax)

But it's worth it. If I consider Corona against that it would cost $349 per year

Réno(Posted 2011) [#145]
I've just seen monkey. There are no description on the monkey website. It is only 2D ? What can Monkey do ? sprite rotation, alpha, etc ? Can we use a 3D camera ? support for wild screen ? DirectX version for windows, etc ? thanks !

Last edited 2011

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#146]
Only 2D at the moment, yes. Anything 2D can be done easily. Have not tried rotation yet. Take a look into the docs within the demo (modules there and then mojo).

Winni(Posted 2011) [#147]
I got this error "Could not initialise WebGL, sorry :-(" :(

And your system meets this requirement? "You'll need a WebGL-capable browser to view this."

Browsers that -will- run this properly would be Firefox 4 Beta and the latest version of Chrome.

Not even the Release Candidate of Internet Explorer 9 or Safari 4 for Windows will open the page, and older versions of Firefox will probably also not work.

The problem is that HTML5 is not even an official standard yet, and the only browser that works really well with it is Chrome.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2011) [#148]
Can I link a static iOS lib to a Monkey project (pre-Xcode compile)? Does monkey have the commands to handle the interfacing, linking and calling of functions within external libs in this way? Is it possible at all?

Winni(Posted 2011) [#149]
If I consider Corona against that it would cost $349 per year

I only took brief looks at Corona and Monkey. The advantages of Corona appear to be Lua (because its larger user base), the phone simulator and that it even comes with an integrated physics engine. The Corona demo looks good and it seems that they have quite a success story to tell with LOTS of apps/games/eBooks being published in the iOS AppStore. If this thing works even remotely as well as advertised, it's definitely worth the few bucks per year. Not to mention that you can use the full featured trial until your first title is ready to be shipped - and then the few dollars are just a minimal investment that buys you an entrance card.

On the other hand, Zombie Trailer Park is also a convincing success story - this time for Monkey. I've played the online Flash version and bought the ad-free iOS release for my iPhone 3G, which runs quite well, although the graphics are so tiny that it is almost impossible to make out any details.

The large platform support of Monkey CAN be a huge plus, but it can also be a huge minus: Multi-platform support always comes at a price, and that price usually is a very restricted feature set. And when I read some of the discussion threads here, it appears that some people are already missing quite a lot of functionality in the product. But then again, BlitzMax also lacked a lot of stuff out of the box, but the flood of third party modules for it filled almost all the gaps.

Anyway, gotta go. Work's calling.

Bossti(Posted 2011) [#150]
I just did a basic Snake/Tron demo with the Monkey demo. Check it out if you want: http://triwink.com/post/3601038170/first-demo-very-simple-tron-snake

I will get myself a license when I'm back at home again. I tried different approaches to iOS & Co. development and monkey - while it's definately not that powerful - is just a blast to develop with. Good job mark, finally makes it possible for me to aim for all the AppStores and generate some money out of my development (by the way: iAd support would be nice).

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#151]
WTH...where was I?!? Downloading the demo now. Purchase soon to follow.

God I can't believe I missed this. I've been off for the last 2 days too. But buried DEEP in verlet physics code. :(

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#152]
lol. Welcome back Chroma! :)

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#153]
Just purchased. But the activation code came after I had to leave for work. :(

First impression is that this is awesome. Didn't see any way to do inline math operators. I really like the "Method New(a,b,c)"...that is great. The command Sqr changed to Sqrt and it doesn't highlite in the IDE as doesn't Atan2. Minor stuffs.

It's NICE to know that when I'm programming, that I'm actually programming for like 6+ different platforms (mobile!). That is very calming to me and it's a very smart productivity/business move.

I changed the IDE font size to 10. 12 is a bit big for me. Too much scrolling.

Congrats Mark. Looking good.

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#154]

Just purchased. But the activation code came after I had to leave for work. :(

Well to be fair.... Baring in mind the rules of life... When did you expect it to come! ;)

This happens to me all the time.. I'll buy something ready for a good old play, then wallop, it lands in my inbox 8 hours later when I'm tucked up in bed!

Dabz

therevills(Posted 2011) [#155]
A tip of anyone when paying for anything via share-it and using paypal... ensure that you use your paypal email address when putting in your details into share-it!

I didnt and it took an extra 4 hours to get the activation code for Monkey...

Last edited 2011

taumel(Posted 2011) [#156]
Share-it sucks!

Beside of that it took them more than an hour to process the order they still weren't able to process my VAT properly, even after giving them a phonecall.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#157]
Ahhh almost forgot...

When I ordered Monkey via Share-it, Share-It selected AUD for me - which is correct, but the AUD price for Monkey is $129.25... but the US price is $120.00 and since the AUD is floating above the USD at the moment you will be ripped off over $9.00!!!

And I bet Mark doesnt see that $9.00!

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#158]
You can chose USD to override that. ;)

therevills(Posted 2011) [#159]
Yeah I did :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2011) [#160]
When I ordered Monkey via Share-it, Share-It selected AUD for me - which is correct, but the AUD price for Monkey is $129.25... but the US price is $120.00 and since the AUD is floating above the USD at the moment you will be ripped off over $9.00!!!

And I bet Mark doesnt see that $9.00!

Have they started doing this **** too? For expletive's sake.

You can chose USD to override that. ;)

At least they give you the option to be ripped off.

Angus(Posted 2011) [#161]
Looked at the demo and am pleased. By the beginning of next month I'll have monkey. Next I'll own some apple products for the first time ever. For joy.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#162]
If I leave the price in USD, it works out £7 cheaper than if I buy it in GBP at ShareIt's exchange rate. I'd rather have a paypal option, without being fleeced for 19% tax.

Last edited 2011

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#163]
Trying the demo out, love the syntax - if thats possible. Can see me purchasing this around June time, I may have some time on my hands for a change!

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#164]
Why wasn't the monkey release posted on the front page?

I came here by pure random. :(

degac(Posted 2011) [#165]
...ehm
considering the 'flood' of Monkey thread in the forum last week you should be a little blind !!!

Just kidding!

In any case I agree with Grisu: a post (just a link 'click here for more info about Monkey') should be a little effort...

Pinete(Posted 2011) [#166]
absolutely awesome Mark!
thanks so much!!
I'll go to check it out right now!!!

Russell(Posted 2011) [#167]
I heard mentioned that there is a free version of monkey (I'm assuming this is not referring to the demo version). On the monkey website, though, I only see the $120US version and the demo.

Is it free to registered owners of BlitzMax or something similar?

I noticed in Mark's blog that he was intending to release monkey for free, but charge for mojo. This was from December 19, 2010:

The plan at this point is to make monkey free and open (in all respects), while charging for mojo (possibly with a free html5 version, or maybe a dual license GPL release - haven't decided on the 'demo' yet)

Russell

degac(Posted 2011) [#168]
No, there is nothing 'free' - only the DEMO,limited to non-commercial applications.
And there are no discount for previous BlitzMax's users.

And about the Mark's blog, the language itself is in evolution: I think the source will be released 'free and open' (but nothing is decided!) only when the language itself is 'stabilized'.

jasonmiceli(Posted 2011) [#169]
Having trouble finding an answer to a Monkey question, and I haven't yet purchased a license for Monkey so I can't post on that forum. I would be interested in purchasing a license (I own every other Blitz product), but want to be sure it will work for my needs first.

I went through several of the (still WIP) tutorials that are available, but couldn't find how to do something as simple as Randomize(Timer). I see where you can set the Random Seed, but what if I want a completely random universe? Hoping someone can help me out with this - so long as I can built a simple app that is appropriately randomized I'll look forward to dropping the cash.

Thanks,
Jason

jasonmiceli(Posted 2011) [#170]
I may have found it (by manually using the browser search since I can't use the website's search yet!) - Seed=Millisecs() might do it. Will try that out soon. Thx.

jasonmiceli(Posted 2011) [#171]
Well, that wasn't the entire story. I'm very confused about how Randomize functions work in Monkey, and unfortunately it doesn't seem like I can get any support on that without purchasing it. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Jason

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#172]
Millisecs in Monkey counts from application startup rather than using the system time (for reasons I'm not sure about). However, RealMillisecs is available in the Diddy add-on module and it uses the system time, so you can call Seed = RealMillisecs ().

Note that you would have to call it either in the OnCreate method or OnUpdate -- unlike BlitzMax, you cannot do this sort of thing, as nothing is executed prior to OnCreate:

' No...

Type Example

Global time:Int = RealMillisecs ()

End Type

Monkey...

Yes...

Class Example Extends App

Global time:Int

Method OnCreate ()
        time = RealMillisecs ()
        SetUpdateRate 60
    End

End

jasonmiceli(Posted 2011) [#173]
Excellent to know - thank you very much. I'm surprised this wasn't more apparent in various tutorials and works out there. I looked at several particle generators and even an asteroids game, and none of them seem to have true randomness - perhaps it's just not something they cared about, but I would use global randomness all the time. Wrote a card game (Setback) using Blitz3D once upon a time - no way to do that without true random!

Thanks again,
Jason

jasonmiceli(Posted 2011) [#174]
Diddy worked out great... will complete my first project and likely purchase a license soon - I definitely like what I see! Thanks,
Jason

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#175]
Cool!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#176]
Excellent another Diddy user :)

Soon we will have our army of monkeys to take over the world... Muhahahahha >:)

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#177]

Excellent another Diddy user :)

Dabz waves!!!

Dabz