MonkeyX user numbers compared to BlitzMax users?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/MonkeyX user numbers compared to BlitzMax users?

MadJack(Posted 2017) [#1]
Does anyone have any hint of the number of BMax users versus MonkeyX users?

I ask as I see Mark's posted news on the front page where he talks about a possible 3d module for MX2.

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#2]
I guess you could count in forum or site users as sort of base statistic.

just checked some seo online tools, blitzbasic.com vs monkey-x.com

Alexa Ranking
Blitzbasic.com: 232k
Monkey-X.com: 385k

daily, span of 3 years.

Not sure what's happening there at Monkey-X site but as I mentioned in prev posts I can't find anyone and ask questions there. It's like nobody's home or you're in a ghost town.

This site with Blitzmax and other old B3D stuff is well alive and kicking.

Even other Blitz3D wannabees (let's be honest) are posting here, I might add.. imagine that.

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#3]
he talks about a possible 3d module for MX2.

As for me, lost interest in MX2 3D module (I heard Mark needs a 1k cap in patreon for him to start working on it) or maybe a paid option.

I already snapped out of it, which is waiting for the next Blitz3D. I can get by now with other engine options or wrappers. OpenB3d looks promising again with angros47 efforts to make it crossplatform. That's enough for me and probably would dabble again with Monkey1 and minib3d.

Actually, I want to thank Mark. Seeing MX2 code makes me want to go back to C/C++ coding again or probably start learning Java. At least you can put that in your resume, if ever.

Going back to original topic comparison, I think Blitzmax users wins it all.

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2017) [#4]
to be honest I've gone back to my C++ engine and I'm coding more of that, the 1k per month for 3d will be a very hard push for a little known language that is still rough round the edges.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#5]
Really annoying that Mark only realised the error of his ways when he ran out of money! Now there's a 3D Engine on the cards - if you pay...We always said we would pay for a 3D Engine Module for Max!

Lets hope he gets back to the days of Blitz3D. I just fear he'll do it with a Java/C++ clone...That is not what Blitz3D was all about!

MadJack(Posted 2017) [#6]
Myself I wish he'd stuck with BlitzMax, made it cross-platform, 64 bit and sold a 3d module with it.

Instead he went the mobile way with Monkey and it effectively split his community.

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2017) [#7]
BlitzMax was his best work tbh.

MadJack(Posted 2017) [#8]
Now he's talking about a crowdfunded 3d module for MX but I'd guess most of us still hanging around this site won't have a lot of interest?

Plus what's the thinking with putting all the social media and the MX link out of sight at the bottom of the front page? At the very least, put the MX link at the top with a quick, interesting blurb to get people to click through.

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#9]
We always said we would pay for a 3D Engine Module for Max!

Myself I wish he'd stuck with BlitzMax, made it cross-platform, 64 bit and sold a 3d module with it.

BlitzMax was his best work tbh.

Couldn't agree more. I'd be willing to pay a 3D module or other 3rd party services on an easy to use platform like Max. Best Basic Framework out there, at least the ones that I have tried so far.

Now he's talking about a crowdfunded 3d module for MX but I'd guess most of us still hanging around this site won't have a lot of interest

Yep, ship has already sailed. Lots of 3d wrapper options in BMX, it's not perfect but with some work it can be decent.

As you suggested Madjack and maybe this could work for existing BRL users and possibly new users since Blitzmax is "now on Steam":

1) 3D Module for Blitzmax, maybe resurrect max3d
2) Collaborate with Brucey on NG, add more 3rd party services like in MX
3) Should get more users and possibly patrons.

Everybody happy.

*Just an idea*

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#10]
I doubt the 3D module won't happen again, even in MX2. It seems there are no plans way back with MX1, it's all 2D until the minib3d wrapper port by AdamRedwoods, which btw got me interested in Monkey1.

Looks like there's no interest anymore.

MadJack(Posted 2017) [#11]
We're armchair jockeying here of course, but I agree.

Keep the current BMax build as free, sell an updated version on Steam and other outlets.

Bundle it with something like Playniax's framework. Make it attractive to 2d developers.
There may be some grousing intially, but people will get over it.

Also, stick MonkeyX on Steam. Steam may be awash with games but there's still room for apps to be noticed.

Kryzon(Posted 2017) [#12]
From what I understand, these things have already been directly suggested to him before.

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#13]

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#14]
And wisdom to know the difference.

probably a User Poll would help. I have never seen any polls of some sort here or on any BRL related site. Not counting the showcase gallery here of course and that's content voting.

Some companies even small pay for poll services just to get customer or user feedback. a simple poll option will do.

maybe it's now time to put the monkey html5 to work here :)

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#15]
I think Mark should focus on publishing games. If you haven't played a Mark Sibly game get a C64 or Amiga emulator and try them. They are hard, and nasty and very very good.

The reality is BRL couldn't afford the engineering effort to add OpenGL to the BlitzMax Blitz3d SDK product after it tanked on release (partly my fault - it was a bit rough around the edges). A follow up B3D2 open source engine tanked also and again wasn't a great sign for native C++ solutions.

A pure monkey2 3D solution following best practice deferred rendering tech is something I was hoping a blitz user would casually release one day and be relegated immediately to legendary status.

gpete(Posted 2017) [#16]
this discussion*..* for my part I always mention Blitz3D when talking to young gamer-programmer people at PAX West each year- the other day I told the young lady demo-ing the Oculus VR at the store to look it up on the web.
C++ gives me a headache, so verbose.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#17]

C++ ...so verbose.

Agreed.

I think Mark should focus on publishing games. If you haven't played a Mark Sibly game get a C64 or Amiga emulator and try them.

http://playitagainproject.org/creators/mark-sibly/

You can then google those games mentioned :)

This looked good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Aq4nKj6wo

Xerra(Posted 2017) [#18]
** If you haven't played a Mark Sibly game get a C64 or Amiga emulator and try them. They are hard, and nasty and very very good. **

True statement.

I remember Gloom on the Amiga being fucking awesome. He made some other really decent games, too, as I recall.

MadJack(Posted 2017) [#19]
sk

I remember buying a copy of the BlitzMax Blitz3d SDK way back when and from memory it was very buggy and also unsupported very quickly after release.

But there's no money in writing indie games anymore - the market is saturated.

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#20]
In a saturated market you definitely need to look at migrating. I have ended up in low latency trading and dabbled around with more creative projects and not games with my monkey2 dev (vpaint and vsynth).

MadJack(Posted 2017) [#21]
I shouldn't say there's no money - people still have hits and the other approach is to get a library of titles out there all selling a few copies a week etc..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2017) [#22]
..official 3d support for bmx was something, everybody asked for, back then, when place was really loaded..for some reason, monkey thing happen while big existing userbase suggested not to go there and willing to pay for 3d extension of bmax..deja vu..

GW(Posted 2017) [#23]
The max3d engine Mark wrote and abandoned is actually pretty neat to play around with. I've used it to prototype some things. It a shame it was never developed further.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#24]
12years ago :
thousands of blitz3d/blitzmax users : "we are ready to pay for a 2d/3d graphics engine with a similar syntax than blitz3d but using directx9 and which allows to use shaders"
Mark : "..."

recently :
Mark : "i am ready to add a 3d engine to my unecessarily complicated language, who is ready to pay ?"
a few remaining blitz3d/blitzmax users : "..."

col(Posted 2017) [#25]
You have to do what's right for you at that time that you make the decision to do whatever it is that you want to do. The results or consequence of that decision are easily debatable forever.

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#26]
Usually when you upgrade or change your product for the better, your long time users tend to follow on a whim, like Unity/Unreal when they up their version.

Seeing that most big contributors or notable users here still can't get over Blitzmax is something to think about regarding the future of Monkey.

I don't know much about BRL history aside from having to read older posts and rants here, but I think the comment of RemiD above pretty much sums it all.

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#27]
Good to see MDickie is still strutting his stuff. I always thought Blitz3D was at it's best out on the "diverse" spectrum, Love Chess and the previous generation of this intimate simulation:

Derron(Posted 2017) [#28]
I am not sure whether "MDickie" licenced the usage of real WWE actors/sportsman. So linking to gameplay showing a potential licence infringement might be no good thing.

If he got the allowance then of course my post could get ignored.

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2017) [#29]
like Unity/Unreal when they up their version

But that's essentially the same product, with upgrades. It's not like they create a new language and toss all the old stuff out of the window with each new version.

users here still can't get over Blitzmax

I was all for Monkey when it first arrived. But it turned out to be a big step backwards from BlitzMax as far as the usability of the language was concerned. So I realized it was more productive to invest more effort into improving BlitzMax, whilst keeping it compatible with all my previous work.
BlitzMax as a language, is *really* nice. Definitely my favourite programming language.
Monkey 2 doesn't add any value for me over BlitzMax.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#30]
lol RemiD hit the nail on the head there at post 24.

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2017) [#31]
Having used MonkeyX it's too restricted compared to max. What I wanted was a 64bit version of max AND 3d that's it what we got was Monkey 1.

it was after the max3d debacle that I realised it's never gonna go anywhere.

Playniax(Posted 2017) [#32]
You have to do what's right for you at that time that you make the decision to do whatever it is that you want to do

Hindsight is always 20/20

At the time it made sense for Mark to jump the mobile wave. Over time I probably saw all the reasons why Monkey is not as good as BlitzMax but as a BlitzMax user I think the Monkey language ( syntax ) is nicer / better ( opinion! ).

But truth is, the world has changed. Competition is killing each other and it looks like it's better to have a crappy product and good marketing vs good product and crappy marketing.

Meanwhile this forum is far off topic btw...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#33]
Hindsight maybe, but it's just stupidity to ignore paying customers and go on a wild goose chase...Fail, then run back too them with a language they don't want.

I disagree, as RemiD and Dabz and many others have said. It's far too over engineered/over complicated. You might as well use Java/C++.

LT(Posted 2017) [#34]
The really strange part, to me, was the decision to create a completely separate site and maintain that instead of upgrading this one and keeping everything under the same brand.

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#35]

BlitzMan(Posted 2017) [#36]
Yep he is a strange creature Mark Sibly.God bless him.

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#37]
But that's essentially the same product, with upgrades. It's not like they create a new language and toss all the old stuff out of the window with each new version.

I guess I'm trying to make a point here. Why fix if it aint broke. It's not like Blitzmax was a total failure, in fact the complete opposite and still standing today. A decent amount of users yes, so why not follow the same path.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2017) [#38]
..to be very honest, i would still pay for decent, officially supported 3d module by Mark, for BMX...

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2017) [#39]
The really strange part, to me, was the decision to create a completely separate site and maintain that instead of upgrading this one and keeping everything under the same brand.

Also doing it for a third time with monkeyX2 wasn't a shining plus in my book. BRL should just have a site called BlitzResearch.com and everything goes off that.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#40]

BRL should just have a site called BlitzResearch.com and everything goes off that.

It's not too late to do so! :)

Plus running one site instead of two...or three must be cheaper.

Derron(Posted 2017) [#41]
@ Cheaper
I pay 1.50€/year for a domain + some gigs webspace + traffic + setup options (so I could redirect domain, setup mx etc). Means monthly costs for a domain are <10 (eurocent). Doesn't shape off that much on a companies budget.

There is always the option for a third level domain:
monkey.blitzwhatever.tld
blitzmax.blitzwhatever.tld

All could share the same forum - with a default view to a "main-subforum".

BRL-Forum
-> BlitzMax (default view for blitzmax.blitzwhatever.tld)
- -> Community Forums
- - -> Technical Discourse
-> Monkey (default view for monkey.blitzwhatever.tld)
-> Lang2018 (default view for lang2018.blitzwhatever.tld)
-> Generic BRL forum (announcements for front page news etc)

There are plenty of options but as long as nobody is willed to choose one it will stay at the current version. And if one chooses an option, a (smaller getting) horde of users is ranting that it was the wrong choice.

BTW: recognizing a wrong/false decision is always easier if the decision was choosen in the past, not in the present. Think all of you know that they made some mistakes and "if I could ..." is a thought coming here and there to ones mind.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#42]
I always thought Germans were efficient ;)

Why the over-complication?

It's Blitz Research, with X,Y an Z Languages.

Derron(Posted 2017) [#43]
it is not overcompilcation. language naming is important if someone is not searching for "+BRL +x +sample" but wants to search for "languagename +sample". It is more intuitive - and yes, there were multiple discussions about naming schemes here on the discussion board.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#44]
Like anybody in their right mind would search for a Computer Language called Monkey! lol.

Where as, games, language would. Hell I googled Mark Sibly and games appeared. Google Monkey and you get Apes! :)

Derron(Posted 2017) [#45]
google rust and hey... you find the language
google unity and hey ...
google .net and you wont find the tld registry at first
google ...

it all depends on the popularity of something. So yes, as long as up to nobody (in terms of 7 billion people on earth) is using monkey ... think you got it.

And yes, if the language was named "wroxxibleLang" then google would surely list it at pos 1 - even with only 10 users (as long as it got indexed :-)).

bye
Ron

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#46]
eek, searching for monkey is worrisome

Derron(Posted 2017) [#47]
But the graphic looks good (clean and "toony").

Hmm... should startup SNES emu for a round of Boogerman, never finished that game.

bye
Ron

Floyd(Posted 2017) [#48]
Maybe it should be called gMonkey.

There sure are a lot of Google apps on my phone. Millions of people must search for gWhatever just out of curiosity.

I just tried gMonkey. It seems to be a vegetarian food truck.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#49]
I stuck with MonkeyX, using the HTML5 target. I'm still impressed with what is capable within a web browser, never dreamed that I'd manage to get my project so far within HTML5. I've had a lot of gratification coding with MonkeyX, my list in order of preference for coding at the mo is MonkeyX, B3D and last but by no means least, BMAX. Horses for courses really ;)

Why0Why(Posted 2017) [#50]
I have used Blitz since the 2D days. I liked Max and the OO features. To me, Monkey has the best syntax. I think it is an impressive language and I can see why Mark went there(mobile was going to take over the world and was all the rage.) The disadvantage is with so much cross-platforminess, lowest common denominator is always going to be an issue. This hampered the desktop, which is the market most Blitzers care about most.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#51]
I think mobile still has legs, especially as an indie. Market Saturation doesn't apply when coding for fun ;)

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#52]
What the world needs now is a /monkey2/src/bb2cc fork of /monkey2/src/mx2cc.

therevills(Posted 2017) [#53]
/monkey2/src/bb2cc

Isnt that what BlitzMax NG is doing?

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#54]
No NG would be /monkey2/src/bmx2c,

I'm talking about bb as in blitz source.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2017) [#55]
I guess since the discussion is wavering to the historical decisions of BRL and BlitzMax vs Monkey, I guess I'll continue the trend. Some people have already said some honest and truthful things which I agree with and which I feel sort of go unheard or at least unaddressed.

It seems that over time there have been two things happening. One is the market forces, trends, what's currently popular, new platforms and opportunities - the shifting market. The second thing is BRL's response to these changes.

When platforms and 3D and mobile and such were not a 'thing', BRL I think went from strength to strength progressing from Blitz to Blitz3D to BlitzMax and then the next obvious leap - BlitzMax3D. BlitzMax was a revolution and evolution and the addition of custom modules, pointers, types and stuff like that really made it wonderful. It still lis great for 2D games, software, apps, tools, data processing, etc. But while it was emerging into these new frontiers, the rest of the world was exploding into 3D and moving away from 2D. So then there was this tension. And the BRL response was to start working on a 3D module, which would have absolutely rocked I'm sure. But this apparently didn't get that far. BlitzMax3D would've been an awesome product with probably an even bigger audience than Blitz3D.

But then there was also market pressure in the form of editors and tools for game development which were moving much more aware from 'pure programming' and more towards visual development. The likes of Torque2D, later 3D, GameMaker, and newcomers like Unity etc. This is where the tidal wave of game developers were flowing. BRL was going to bring out Max3D to at least tap the 3D potential better, but also wasn't addressing the elephant in the room - that people wanted higher and higher level tools with more automation and less effort. Fact is that making complicated stuff in BlitzMax gets... complicated. And time consuming. Compared to having some tool to do it. It's a significant handicap. I think Max3D was part way along with progress which would've been good, but for example the BRL website did not evolve hardly at all (and still hasn't). Max was already I think very under-marketed and poorly represented. It could've enjoyed far more sales. And then Max3D would've called for a significant site upgrade.

Anyway. Then there started to be all this diversification of platforms - mobile, Apple, Android, html5, flash, etc. More and more developers wanting to make stuff for these platforms. Seemed cutting edge. I think Max3D got dumped because of the intense pressure of this market change and the fear of being left behind that it caused (or declining sales? I don't know). That's a big problem, because Max was windows/mac specific and needed a custom compiler, and making more compilers for more platforms (plus other gubbins that apps need) must have been extremely daunting or next-to impossible for BRL to do alone. Not much choice there. It was definitely wise to try to open up to more platforms (ala Monkey), but the method for going about it - while very elegant and clever - somewhat alienated the 'natives' on Windows and Mac. Monkey was a downgrade, almost like a starting-over on a whole new footing. If it would've been a foundation that was built on and brought back up to where Max is at and then wen past Max, that would be awesome, but I don't see that happening. The main problem is the architecture, i.e. to be cross-platform it has to use a language-converter and third-party compilers instead of its own, and that means things like a) no modules or ability to use external libraries, b) no pointers, c) handicapped graphics capabilities, d) slower performance etc. So Blitz on desktop took a big hit and everyone's been sitting waiting for years to see if Monkey would 'become' Max2 and it still isn't there. So Monkey is obviously the successor to Max and 'no turning back ever'.

Now monkey is getting sort of to the stage Max was at years ago when it needed to address 3D, and so now we have news of 'Monkey 3D' coming down the wire. Supposedly a good move if you ignore the pre-monkey history. But all the people who were Blitz-loyal have been largely alienated by the lack of attention to what they LOST from Max. We're all still waiting to get that stuff back so that we can consider Monkey an *actual* improvement on Max, from a user's perspective. Monkey needs to reclaim what it lost from BlitzMax (plus support 64-bit). And then add 3D. And... oh yeah, the rest of the world is moving on from 'languages' and more toward a 'scripting' backend for 'when you need it', wrapped up in a nice intuitive WYSIWYG editor. Blitz 'editors' have always been ultra minimalist and really not very helpful at all. The constant focus on language stuff is missing a huge elephant. Take Unity3D for example, or Torque3D, or Unreal engine or whatever else... people need, expect, and want, a much higher-level development experience. No amount of adding on a 3D module for a partly-featured language is going to make up for the huge amount of time and effort it takes when you don't have suitable editing tools.

I made a partial shift to Unity a few years ago to check it out. Didn't like it at first, wasn't very intuitive for 2D like BlitzMax.. *yearned* for BlitzMax to come up to speed in what the visual editing offered - I would've come back to Blitz in a heartbeat. Way better/easier language than using C# or Javascript. But Unity has some major functionality that Blitz has never touched on. When I come back to Blitz and I see what things people are spending their time working on, it's very typically quite low-level stuff. Trying to code some 'engine', trying to put together even a basic particle system, trying to write a very basic 3D engine - the results of which are *extremely* far behind the times. Trying to hack together anything to do with shaders is tricky. Using special GL features like render-textures, etc... yet alone anything more modern. You go into something like Unity and you can throw together objects and assemble levels and strap on 3rd party assets and use 3rd party tools to help with your workflow. And sometimes you can go into code when it's needed. And then you come back out, and you're more artistically playing with color and design and layout in a visual way. And it's doing all this stuff for you. Physics is seamlessly integrated, collision detection and response, very advanced shader support, all kinds of visual editors and add-ons, whole libraries of 3rd party assets. I mean... you use that for a while, and get used to how relatively easy that is to develop something, and then you try coming back to Blitz and you're like. ... oh, I guess I would have to spend 6 months programming an engine first, or I would have to hack around with some half working buggy 3D plugin, or try to hack together some low-level shader support that I pass in with a string, and stuff like that... and you appreciate all the pain and work that Unity has taken OUT of having to develop games 'the hard way'. And it really makes Blitz looks like a very very old, slow-to-develop-with, difficult to be artistic with engine that is still struggling to even support the basics in a helpful way.

Back when Blitz was just a language (well, still is), and being just a language was 'normal' and commonplace, it was fantastic. To be able to 'write' a game in game-like lingo etc. But development moved way on past that. It's not just about mobile and other platforms anymore. It's about having high-level tools that save you a ton of time and effort. There are people now on Unity/Unreal etc banging out games that are even basic/ameteurish games, in less time, and with more advanced features and tools, than almost anyone making stuff in Blitz. That's just the reality of it. Nobody's sitting there in the Unity audience thinking, hmm.. I wonder how I'm going to get my texture to upload to the gpu.... they just open an image and slap it on the screen. No-one's sitting there trying to figure out how to do advanced physics, they're twiddling with user interfaces and sliders and adjustments with realtime feedback. This is what Blitz is MISSING. It's a gaping big hole in the fact that development isn't about writing code anymore. It's painful, longwinded and laborious. And unfortunately BRL's strategy hasn't addressed this, ever. It's been about expanding the language and adding more language and making the language work on more platforms, and not necessarily about making development fundamentally easier and faster. Don't get me wrong I don't mind BMax at all, it's brilliant, I love it... but... it's painful now compared to what else is available. Blitz is now a ... very elegant way of spending a lot of time not making much progress. That's just the reality of the situation now. That's where the market is at and where it's moved onto. I would not be able to convince a single person using Unity or Unreal etc to drop the entire experience and go back to Monkey or doing all the 3D programming and physics and advanced graphics features on your own. The workflow just isn't there, the pipeline isn't there.

The other big biter for BRL which I think most people agree with is the lack of marketing. And I'm sorry but when Mark said he'd improved the website recently and it was better... well... TINY improvement, realistically. The website is ancient. The monkey site is 'better', more modern, but a bit basic. And neither is really pushing the sales of the product very well. BRL simple does not know how to market their product in the modern world. You need to find or hire someone that does. An entirely new website would be a start, plus as someone said having Monkey and other BRL products under the same website. There are so many things that could be done to improve it. I ask myself why I'm still looking at the same basic website that I was looking at 10 years ago? The problem isn't that Blitz isn't being represented well, it's that there is a huge amount of SALES that are being missed out on which could quite adequately fund BRL etc IF the product were presented properly. As you know in marketing its not just about what the product does but the spin you put on it. It could be selling 2, 3, 4, 5 times as many units if it were given a public facelift. This was pretty much never addressed and apparently still will not be. Banging out a few videos is not going to cut it at all! So then this creates a sense of animosity in the community where the people feel that BRL are letting down the product that they feel passionate about and are not giving it its due credit and presentation, which also ties into the feeling of how Monkey was a slap in every BMax user's face pretty much.

If it were me, I'd stop all projects and work on the USER-centered reality of the Blitz products, which would include a) marketing, b) website, c) community involvement/projects/games etc, d) a helpful, time-saving, easy-to-use visual editor. I think this would help BRL more than anything. Blitz should be presented more like GameMaker, GameSalad and the like... that's the more direct competition right now and Blitz is being left in the dust without a visual editor. I think if BRL doesn't 'want' to stop identifying itself as a 'language company', it's going to suffer. Times have moved on, businesses have to adapt. And I think the idea of making a game to 'advertise' Monkey.. .. nope... you should be getting the public to make that game and you should then be featuring it in some kind of partnership deal... spend your valuable time doing things that users CAN'T do on their own such as making a better game development experience, giving the BRL products a more modern public appeal etc.

In my opinion BRL didn't see or recognize the real 'shift' that's going on in development and it's not just towards multi-platform, it's towards easier higher-level development and WYSIWYG editing with a scripting backend for when the extremely time-saving tools can't do what you want. If BRL had ever addressed that in any way it would be a far more accessible tool to far more people. All the people now that expect higher-level easy tools to make games with wouldn't even think twice to go back to 'language only' development. The big picture has been totally missed. Making the language better is not the answer, the language itself is the problem. Languages are dying and they need to die and they will die for all but the most advanced developers. Good tools are supposed to 'get out of the way' i.e. you should ideally need to deal with the tool LESS in order to be doing better, instead of focusing on 'the tool' being the center of attention which I feel is what's happening with this progression of Monkey, Monkey2, Monkey 3D, whatever. More transparency in the game development process is what is needed. Less steps. Less details. Less pain. Less time. Less typing.

I love Blitz to bits. Mark is a genius. But PLEEEEEEEEASE get with the times and listen to what people really want and need.

(wow this is way longer than expected!)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2017) [#56]
+1

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#57]
Wow ImaginaryHuman.. that's too long, haven't read all just browsed through but focus on some important topics you pointed out. agreed overall.

In my opinion, BRL missed a beat by not delivering Max3D. There's nothing wrong with Monkey but what if Max3D was a success?

It's not too late to "revive"..

Kryzon(Posted 2017) [#58]
In summary, BRL missed a beat by not delivering Max3D. There's nothing wrong with Monkey but what if Max3D was a success?

I don't think that's what ImaginaryHuman is talking about. He's talking about the benefits of editor-oriented development (or rather, that this is the common denominator with production-ready game development tools).

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#59]
I know Kryzon, sorry for the typo but that was on my opinion and not ImaginaryHuman.

corrected

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#60]

I guess since the discussion is wavering to the historical decisions of BRL and BlitzMax vs Monkey, I guess I'll continue the trend. Some people have already said some honest and truthful things which I agree with and which I feel sort of go unheard or at least unaddressed.

It seems that over time there have been two things happening. One is the market forces, trends, what's currently popular, new platforms and opportunities - the shifting market. The second thing is BRL's response to these changes.

When platforms and 3D and mobile and such were not a 'thing', BRL I think went from strength to strength progressing from Blitz to Blitz3D to BlitzMax and then the next obvious leap - BlitzMax3D. BlitzMax was a revolution and evolution and the addition of custom modules, pointers, types and stuff like that really made it wonderful. It still lis great for 2D games, software, apps, tools, data processing, etc. But while it was emerging into these new frontiers, the rest of the world was exploding into 3D and moving away from 2D. So then there was this tension. And the BRL response was to start working on a 3D module, which would have absolutely rocked I'm sure. But this apparently didn't get that far. BlitzMax3D would've been an awesome product with probably an even bigger audience than Blitz3D.

But then there was also market pressure in the form of editors and tools for game development which were moving much more aware from 'pure programming' and more towards visual development. The likes of Torque2D, later 3D, GameMaker, and newcomers like Unity etc. This is where the tidal wave of game developers were flowing. BRL was going to bring out Max3D to at least tap the 3D potential better, but also wasn't addressing the elephant in the room - that people wanted higher and higher level tools with more automation and less effort. Fact is that making complicated stuff in BlitzMax gets... complicated. And time consuming. Compared to having some tool to do it. It's a significant handicap. I think Max3D was part way along with progress which would've been good, but for example the BRL website did not evolve hardly at all (and still hasn't). Max was already I think very under-marketed and poorly represented. It could've enjoyed far more sales. And then Max3D would've called for a significant site upgrade.

Anyway. Then there started to be all this diversification of platforms - mobile, Apple, Android, html5, flash, etc. More and more developers wanting to make stuff for these platforms. Seemed cutting edge. I think Max3D got dumped because of the intense pressure of this market change and the fear of being left behind that it caused (or declining sales? I don't know). That's a big problem, because Max was windows/mac specific and needed a custom compiler, and making more compilers for more platforms (plus other gubbins that apps need) must have been extremely daunting or next-to impossible for BRL to do alone. Not much choice there. It was definitely wise to try to open up to more platforms (ala Monkey), but the method for going about it - while very elegant and clever - somewhat alienated the 'natives' on Windows and Mac. Monkey was a downgrade, almost like a starting-over on a whole new footing. If it would've been a foundation that was built on and brought back up to where Max is at and then wen past Max, that would be awesome, but I don't see that happening. The main problem is the architecture, i.e. to be cross-platform it has to use a language-converter and third-party compilers instead of its own, and that means things like a) no modules or ability to use external libraries, b) no pointers, c) handicapped graphics capabilities, d) slower performance etc. So Blitz on desktop took a big hit and everyone's been sitting waiting for years to see if Monkey would 'become' Max2 and it still isn't there. So Monkey is obviously the successor to Max and 'no turning back ever'.

Now monkey is getting sort of to the stage Max was at years ago when it needed to address 3D, and so now we have news of 'Monkey 3D' coming down the wire. Supposedly a good move if you ignore the pre-monkey history. But all the people who were Blitz-loyal have been largely alienated by the lack of attention to what they LOST from Max. We're all still waiting to get that stuff back so that we can consider Monkey an *actual* improvement on Max, from a user's perspective. Monkey needs to reclaim what it lost from BlitzMax (plus support 64-bit). And then add 3D. And... oh yeah, the rest of the world is moving on from 'languages' and more toward a 'scripting' backend for 'when you need it', wrapped up in a nice intuitive WYSIWYG editor. Blitz 'editors' have always been ultra minimalist and really not very helpful at all. The constant focus on language stuff is missing a huge elephant. Take Unity3D for example, or Torque3D, or Unreal engine or whatever else... people need, expect, and want, a much higher-level development experience. No amount of adding on a 3D module for a partly-featured language is going to make up for the huge amount of time and effort it takes when you don't have suitable editing tools.

I made a partial shift to Unity a few years ago to check it out. Didn't like it at first, wasn't very intuitive for 2D like BlitzMax.. *yearned* for BlitzMax to come up to speed in what the visual editing offered - I would've come back to Blitz in a heartbeat. Way better/easier language than using C# or Javascript. But Unity has some major functionality that Blitz has never touched on. When I come back to Blitz and I see what things people are spending their time working on, it's very typically quite low-level stuff. Trying to code some 'engine', trying to put together even a basic particle system, trying to write a very basic 3D engine - the results of which are *extremely* far behind the times. Trying to hack together anything to do with shaders is tricky. Using special GL features like render-textures, etc... yet alone anything more modern. You go into something like Unity and you can throw together objects and assemble levels and strap on 3rd party assets and use 3rd party tools to help with your workflow. And sometimes you can go into code when it's needed. And then you come back out, and you're more artistically playing with color and design and layout in a visual way. And it's doing all this stuff for you. Physics is seamlessly integrated, collision detection and response, very advanced shader support, all kinds of visual editors and add-ons, whole libraries of 3rd party assets. I mean... you use that for a while, and get used to how relatively easy that is to develop something, and then you try coming back to Blitz and you're like. ... oh, I guess I would have to spend 6 months programming an engine first, or I would have to hack around with some half working buggy 3D plugin, or try to hack together some low-level shader support that I pass in with a string, and stuff like that... and you appreciate all the pain and work that Unity has taken OUT of having to develop games 'the hard way'. And it really makes Blitz looks like a very very old, slow-to-develop-with, difficult to be artistic with engine that is still struggling to even support the basics in a helpful way.

Back when Blitz was just a language (well, still is), and being just a language was 'normal' and commonplace, it was fantastic. To be able to 'write' a game in game-like lingo etc. But development moved way on past that. It's not just about mobile and other platforms anymore. It's about having high-level tools that save you a ton of time and effort. There are people now on Unity/Unreal etc banging out games that are even basic/ameteurish games, in less time, and with more advanced features and tools, than almost anyone making stuff in Blitz. That's just the reality of it. Nobody's sitting there in the Unity audience thinking, hmm.. I wonder how I'm going to get my texture to upload to the gpu.... they just open an image and slap it on the screen. No-one's sitting there trying to figure out how to do advanced physics, they're twiddling with user interfaces and sliders and adjustments with realtime feedback. This is what Blitz is MISSING. It's a gaping big hole in the fact that development isn't about writing code anymore. It's painful, longwinded and laborious. And unfortunately BRL's strategy hasn't addressed this, ever. It's been about expanding the language and adding more language and making the language work on more platforms, and not necessarily about making development fundamentally easier and faster. Don't get me wrong I don't mind BMax at all, it's brilliant, I love it... but... it's painful now compared to what else is available. Blitz is now a ... very elegant way of spending a lot of time not making much progress. That's just the reality of the situation now. That's where the market is at and where it's moved onto. I would not be able to convince a single person using Unity or Unreal etc to drop the entire experience and go back to Monkey or doing all the 3D programming and physics and advanced graphics features on your own. The workflow just isn't there, the pipeline isn't there.

The other big biter for BRL which I think most people agree with is the lack of marketing. And I'm sorry but when Mark said he'd improved the website recently and it was better... well... TINY improvement, realistically. The website is ancient. The monkey site is 'better', more modern, but a bit basic. And neither is really pushing the sales of the product very well. BRL simple does not know how to market their product in the modern world. You need to find or hire someone that does. An entirely new website would be a start, plus as someone said having Monkey and other BRL products under the same website. There are so many things that could be done to improve it. I ask myself why I'm still looking at the same basic website that I was looking at 10 years ago? The problem isn't that Blitz isn't being represented well, it's that there is a huge amount of SALES that are being missed out on which could quite adequately fund BRL etc IF the product were presented properly. As you know in marketing its not just about what the product does but the spin you put on it. It could be selling 2, 3, 4, 5 times as many units if it were given a public facelift. This was pretty much never addressed and apparently still will not be. Banging out a few videos is not going to cut it at all! So then this creates a sense of animosity in the community where the people feel that BRL are letting down the product that they feel passionate about and are not giving it its due credit and presentation, which also ties into the feeling of how Monkey was a slap in every BMax user's face pretty much.

If it were me, I'd stop all projects and work on the USER-centered reality of the Blitz products, which would include a) marketing, b) website, c) community involvement/projects/games etc, d) a helpful, time-saving, easy-to-use visual editor. I think this would help BRL more than anything. Blitz should be presented more like GameMaker, GameSalad and the like... that's the more direct competition right now and Blitz is being left in the dust without a visual editor. I think if BRL doesn't 'want' to stop identifying itself as a 'language company', it's going to suffer. Times have moved on, businesses have to adapt. And I think the idea of making a game to 'advertise' Monkey.. .. nope... you should be getting the public to make that game and you should then be featuring it in some kind of partnership deal... spend your valuable time doing things that users CAN'T do on their own such as making a better game development experience, giving the BRL products a more modern public appeal etc.

In my opinion BRL didn't see or recognize the real 'shift' that's going on in development and it's not just towards multi-platform, it's towards easier higher-level development and WYSIWYG editing with a scripting backend for when the extremely time-saving tools can't do what you want. If BRL had ever addressed that in any way it would be a far more accessible tool to far more people. All the people now that expect higher-level easy tools to make games with wouldn't even think twice to go back to 'language only' development. The big picture has been totally missed. Making the language better is not the answer, the language itself is the problem. Languages are dying and they need to die and they will die for all but the most advanced developers. Good tools are supposed to 'get out of the way' i.e. you should ideally need to deal with the tool LESS in order to be doing better, instead of focusing on 'the tool' being the center of attention which I feel is what's happening with this progression of Monkey, Monkey2, Monkey 3D, whatever. More transparency in the game development process is what is needed. Less steps. Less details. Less pain. Less time. Less typing.

I love Blitz to bits. Mark is a genius. But PLEEEEEEEEASE get with the times and listen to what people really want and need.

I think what is missing is your ability to be concise and logical. I can't imagine what your code looks like...