Future of Monkey X

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Future of Monkey X

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#1]
Since all this new engine talk, previews and holiday bluffs, honestly I'm more inclined to dig more into Monkey X if BMX and NG won't keep up with the vendor features in the future.

So I'm asking if anyone has some idea what will happen to Monkey X, its licensing, support and future.

Still a paid product but no major updates and now with the focus on Monkey 2.

Sorry to ask but just saying.

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#2]
Monkey-X is future proofed far more than Blitz3D and BlitzMax. Unlike DirectX and desktop OpenGL the EGL/GL2/Angle based mojo2 module in particular future proofs developers and their titles for the next 15 to 20 years easy.

That being said, BlitzMaxNG running ports of the mojo stacks aren't going anywhere either.

That being said, if you can't write a fun game that you are proud of with the free version of monkey-x an investment in mojo2 license isn't going to help.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#3]
Thanks skidracer. I'm just curious about BRL's support, that's all. It's not about some money being wasted if I ever bought any pro, but a shame if it will be fully replaced by Monkey 2.

Monkey X Free version is good for now, I like it.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#4]
I have the Monkey X Pro version, so far I've mainly compiled for the HTML 5 target which is available in the free version anyways. The power available to you within the HTML 5 target alone is quite gobsmacking. Enjoy...

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#5]
I wouldn't go that far BP but yes it works to an extent. I have tested better html5 engines btw

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#6]
I wouldn't go that far BP but yes it works to an extent.

I've managed to write a very robust XML parser which then presents the parsed data for comparison purposes. I really didn't think this would be plausible within a browser, and its FAST at processing the imported data. The bonus of it working so well within HTML5 is it is truly multiplatform witohut even having to compile for the different platforms.

Just my experience of using Monkey for something not necessarily 'gaming' oriented, my 10p ;)

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#7]
I know how Monkey/BRL product works vs other cross platform frameworks/engines. It does not even compare.

Of course, we are all here just because of the language (not speed). I know I do. if I'll just do C/C++ or any other mainstream programming language all the time, I'd be out here in a sec. ;-)

Again, it's a good product and I'm sure you're proud of your work but I don't see anything powerful with Monkey X except for ready made vendor package, Basic syntax, and that 3D option (minib3d port).

Oh and then there was this crucial update that I just remembered recently which changes everything:

https://github.com/blitz-research/monkey/commit/04cb2695e6eb0b6feb2d5c5745bcb7c95093178c

I'm not sure if I see what I think it is but the website still has this: http://www.monkey-x.com/Monkey/targets.php

Maybe you can clarify?

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#8]
Personally I still use Monkey 1 for mobile games and it's still my number 1 choice. It's rocksolid and stable and mature. I think Mark will provide us with bug fixes - at least for critical ones. At least that's what he did for the last decades for older products as well.

About Monkey 2 I'm still not sure if it's in a usable state already. I try to use it at the moment, but as I aim for Android and iOS I cannot use it for production atm.

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#9]
@Xaron thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure it is. Yes, I could only go as far as Monkey 1.

If I'd do Monkey2, I'd rather go back to C++ or do Java coz it's looking like it's getting complicated.

Blitzmax is almost perfect and with the option of NG getting it across new platforms. I still see more Max users than Monkey so maybe that speaks for itself.

I do have a Monkey X forum account (xtie) but I can't get any help or reply from there regularly, so based from that experience forum or community is dead or scattered.

hence going back to the question to the future of MonkeyX, looks like more MonkeyX users are now migrating to here.. ;-)

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#10]
Haha, yeah maybe. I had the same thing in mind when first looking at Monkey 2. I mean in my day job I do C++/C# all the time and after looking at Monkey 2 I first thought well ya, why should I use Monkey 2 when I can use C# instead directly. I think the "easyness" is gone over the different products. Ok, you don't have to use all this fancy lambda stuff for instance but it's not that simple anymore.

It's a pity that Mark continues to split up the community every time. If he continues that way he will probably alone at some point in the future. :D

What questions do you have with Monkey X?

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#11]
Exactly! you got that on point. I hate to say it but this is why I don't think it will work but I'm not against it. For a free and opensource project, why would anyone be.

For the questions.. well, since I was new to Monkey months ago I was asking a lot about HTML5 and minib3d stuff. It sucks most of the big monkey authors there are not around anymore to get some help from. I got most help from here compared to that site which is kind of weird haha. Which brings back to why I say that migrating.. :D

"easyness" fading away, that's the perfect phrase for it.

popcade(Posted 2017) [#12]
To be honest, many targets MonkeyX supports are actually dying(ouya/flash/XNA/WP8... no offense tho), however $39 for a working/mature Android/iOS port is a steal.

It seems Monkey2 are going to be Mark's major work for a while, but the syntax thing took me a while to get used, I'm more comfortable with BMax and MonkeyX.

Otherwise, Monkey 2 is on the very usable status, maybe another try later.

Danilo(Posted 2017) [#13]
I think MX2 and the Ted2go editor (written using MX2) are getting better and better: