MonkeyX, Monkey1, Monkey2 ... What to purchase?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/MonkeyX, Monkey1, Monkey2 ... What to purchase?

Scaremonger(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hey guys,
nearly Christmas and I'm looking at Monkey-X, but the forum's talk of Monkey2. Is this the next version of Monkey-X or its replacement?

I don't really get the difference, perhaps it's all the chocolate and beer I've consumed the last few days, but hoping you guys could clarify what you get when you buy it!

Cheers and merry Christmas to you all.
Si...

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#2]
My comparison, opinion and to my understanding so far..

Monkey-X: (30$?) and FOSS (not including platforms) Crossplatform, Ready Plugins/Modules (2D/3D [minib3d])
Monkey2: FOSS, Crossplatform, still in development (2D only atm)
BlitzMax NG: FOSS, Crossplatform 2D only (3D wrappers untested)

I added NG because a lot of NG users vs Monkey2 as you check for active and daily topics..

btw MonkeyX and Monkey1 are the same product unless I'm missing something.

degac(Posted 2016) [#3]
BlitzMax, MonkeyX, Monkey2 are all FOSS

Of MonkeyX there's a free version and different packagse (PRO, Ignition, Studio etc - see the Store page)

MonkeyX is multitarget and has complete mobile support (iOS, Android) and HTML5

BlitzMax (vanilla) has only target support (Max, Win, Linux) - BlitzMax NG (another open-source branch) has many targets (ARM, Android etc)

Monkey2 is still in development, main target is desktop+HTML5 (emscripten) - mobile support is still a WIP (not fully tested)

Scaremonger(Posted 2016) [#4]
Cheers, that makes a bit more sense. I've got to write a small control program on Android and I'm not keen to do it in Java.

I played with NG when Brucey first started releasing it. Might be easier for this one-off app.

Have a good Christmas.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#5]
Try our Pyro 2 distro in case you want to try Monkey 2. It has all monkey 2 and Pyro 2 modules ready to go for your convenience.