Can Monkey 2 be installed and run on XP computer.?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Can Monkey 2 be installed and run on XP computer.?

davidboy(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi, two questions:

1. Can Monkey 2 be installed and run on Windows XP computer.?

2. Can games made with Monkey 2 be run on Windows XP computer?

Thank you.!

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#2]
If you have a Windows XP computer you should give it a try.

BlitzMax is far more compatible as it works with DirectX7 graphics.

Monkey2 expects a modern version of OpenGL and by default I think a 64 bit processor.

CGV(Posted 2016) [#3]
therevills asked the question twice now over at the Monkey2 forums and Mark just ignored it both times. Most recently: link

This is definitely something developers need to know so it's strange that we can't get an answer.

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#4]
Until the mobile targets are ready for prime time that question is kind of jumping the gun.

If therevills posts here at Monkey Talk we could carry on the speculation but OT specifically concerns Windows XP support for the current release.

davidboy(Posted 2016) [#5]
Monkey 2 could be installed on my Win XP computer but Monkey 2 didn't run on this computer.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#6]
hmm, I just found this out and I asked the question earlier about minimum NDK but Mark posted the minimum is Android2.2 which is 2010.

The only real ‘hard’ requirement is it needs GLES20 or equivalent, eg: direct3d9 on windows, gl2 on macos/linux, android2.2, no idea about ios, etc.

Anyway, I skipped the readme and will try the installation again, but some broken links particularly here..

README.TXT

1) Install the mingw-64 compiler. There is a self-extracting archive of mingw-64 that has been tested with monkey2 here:

http://monkey2.monkey-x.com/mak/get-file?file=i686-6.2.0-posix-dwarf-rt_v5-rev1.exe

If you install this to the monkey2 'devtools' directory, the following steps should 'just work'.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#7]
I've raised a defect for this:

https://github.com/blitz-research/monkey2/issues/116

When I tried running a MX2 app I get the error:
The procedure entry point CancelIoEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

So at the moment MX2 for Windows has a minimum OS of Vista, I need an engine which supports Windows XP and SDL2 does say it does support it….

TeaBoy(Posted 2016) [#8]
[deleted incorrect info]

@Blitzplotter

Thanks, I thought it was 64bit only.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#9]
@TeaBoy, Monkey2 runs on my 32bit W7 box.