At what point do you set your code free....

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/At what point do you set your code free....

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#1]
Into Open Source land?

The reason I ask the question is its fair to say, I confess my code development would benefit from being a little less organic. That is to say my coding projects, whilst they achieve my goals in the end could be coded more efficiently.

How clean do you make your code before open sourcing it?

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#2]
The clearer the code, the less hand-holding you will need.

Open the source to show how something is done or get comments or suggestions or extra eyes. possibly help someone who is less experienced

Don't open the source if you don't want comments from people, want to keep the code to yourself. Aren't interested in suggestions, or potential external bug fixes.

Bear in mind that dealing with someone nipping your head about released code will take your time. So be possibly prepared for that :)

Derron(Posted 2016) [#3]
You could _always_ open source your code.

Nobody will use it (the sourcecode, not the project) until _YOU_ continue developing it - so OSSing it "now" and then further developing it (plus cleanup/documentation) might help arousing interest.

bye
Ron

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#4]
Hmmm, interesting perspectives. Open sourcing - or planing to open source some code would give me the impetus to at least tidy it... and then the drive to further develop it.

As you say Derron, _I_ would need to continue developing it to arouse some interest. Thanks.