Alien Phoenix loves Monkey 2.

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Alien Phoenix loves Monkey 2.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#1]

I thought some here might like to see a larger project running on Monkey 2. I've got my Alien Phoenix framework nearly converted to Monkey 2 and I'm just really enjoying working with it.

The latest version of Monkey 2 (GitHub) now includes 2D normal-map style lighting for mojo and at first blush looks to be even more useful then mojo2's (mx1) lighting. It's free, so why not check it out.

In the video I test out 6 ships, weapons effects and do a map fly through in a demo of my Phoenix USC game project (uses Alien Phoenix).

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#2]
nice one Richard

The latest version of Monkey 2 (GitHub) now includes 2D normal-map style lighting for mojo

there's also some demos on Brucey's Mojo2 Max NG port :)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#3]
Looking great Richard! Like that wormhole or whatever that is :)

Monkey 2 rules!

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2016) [#4]
really nice just wish i had time to devote to learning and using it to its fullest, to many things now take my time leaving me with at most a half hour or so a week for coding time. At present i cant spend time recompiling builds etc to get started if Mark put out precompiled builds i would give it a go.

When things settle down I might have a look :)

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#5]
Thanks all. :)

@Playniax
Wormhole... ding ding. :)

I think between you and I (and a few others) Monkey 2 will have a good foundation of third party frameworks. This time around in Marks language development path Monkey 2 just feels right, on track and built to embrace third party frameworks and libraries. I am so glad to have it and use it.

CGV(Posted 2016) [#6]
Really nice!

Is that wormhole a pre-canned animation or are you generating it through code?

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#7]
Is that wormhole a pre-canned animation or are you generating it through code?

It is an animation made with TimelineFX (by Pete Rigz, a fellow Blitz'er) which I totally recommend. It's drawn using an additive blend.

The map system in my framework manages images like the animated wormhole and other background images (which are sourced from NASA and edited) as a single map space layer (can be many layers). This allows me to have many images on a map space layer all with different positions, blends and so on. Things like the asteroids, base floors and walls use a different mapping method which is also based on layers (layer meaning a map space). This second mapping method can support millions (tested up to 2 million) of map elements all held in memory which allows for very large map spaces with lot's of detail that can be layered one on top of another. So although the video shows a space game the frameworks map system could be used for many styles of games.

I should add that this demo with radar off runs at a 2% (radar is using lines at the moment is a tad inefficient and hits 4% with it on) CPU usage load on my AMD Phenom II X4. I've gone to great lengths to make this framework uber efficient. :)

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2016) [#8]
Very nice :)

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#9]

Real-time weapons lighting. Still early in the lighting framework development but having fun. Monkey 2 rocks it. :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#10]
Really impressive stuff, good work!

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2016) [#11]
nice stuff :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#12]
I'm still digging into Monkey I, enjoying what can be achieved within HTML5, good to see whats achieveable in Monkey II ;)

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#13]
^Thanks. :)

I'm not sure how long this will be up but check out Marks new HTML5 light demo. Long live Monkey 2. :)

http://www.monkey-x.com/mak/simplelight/Simplelight.html

@Blitzplotter
You should just jump into Monkey 2 as it's very close to Monkey-X in command structure and it's FREE! :)

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#14]
nice lighting/shading effects :)

Derron(Posted 2016) [#15]
Lighting only takes place when the bullets "explode" ?

- bullets should lighten surrounding as soon as fired
- bullets should not light up that much (will surely look "too much" once more than one ship is firing) already for now it looks a bit like a flash-light-storm on the red carpet
- bullets de-accelerate oddly (video at 0:22 - the diagonal shot bullets)
- bullets "vanish" after reaching a specific range (eg. in video at 0:50) - battery cells for light emisson got empty ? ;-) - better remove them as soon as they left the screen (if that is done for performance issues) or as soon as reaching "end of everything.

Regarding lighting I do not know how many light sources are ok (thinking of performance).

Regarding the other issues: just things I saw then watching the video and maybe you are interested in such remarks.

bye
Ron

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2016) [#16]
I think the explosion lighting is a nice effect, I would try bullet lighting BUT would monitor the overheads very closely.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#17]
@Derron
You mean like this. :)
The lighting code (for Alien Phoenix) is still bit early in development but working well so far.

@EdzUp MkII
Lighting every bullet is possible (see above link) and should be a configurable option. Higher end GPUs should not have too much of an issue with lighted bullets.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#18]

Hi,

I have a cool new video of my latest progress posted.

I致e added better lighting support and this video shows off some of the results you can achieve with Monkey 2 lighting. I have added new floor and wall assets that are bumped and really help with the overall lighting effect. I also have 2 asteroid map space layers receiving lighting effects. This allows for some under lighting which adds depth. Oh, and spinning lights and lighted ships!

I致e also included a view of the new map resource toolbox I知 working on. It is part of the in-game editor I知 working on for Phoenix USC. It uses a topmost or pinned window which this frameworks GUI now supports. So in addition to windows you can cast to the background screen the framework now supports topmost windows. The toolbox features collapsible components based on a button and a list box for a combo段sh box style. I have been working on smoothing out the GUI code and refining it. Adding features as I improve Phoenix USC.

Still a lot to get done but I知 making progress.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#19]
Looks nice.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#20]
I致e also included a view of the new map resource toolbox I知 working on. It is part of the in-game editor I知 working on for Phoenix USC. It uses a topmost or pinned window which this frameworks GUI now supports. So in addition to windows you can cast to the background screen the framework now supports topmost windows. The toolbox features collapsible components based on a button and a list box for a combo段sh box style. I have been working on smoothing out the GUI code and refining it. Adding features as I improve Phoenix USC.

I really like the way you've implemented the Radar. The in game menu really gives your game more depth and really gets the imagination going - really good work;)

I'm about ready to take the plunge into Monkey 2 as well, you're showcase has me sold on it ;) New Year, new IDE ;)

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#21]
I'm about ready to take the plunge into Monkey 2 as well

Awesome! At present I would say 99% of my code base is legacy Monkey-X code (was Bmax before that) using mostly classes, objects and lists. So even if a coder is used to BlitzMAx or Monkey-X they should feel at home with Monkey 2. In my book, the small learning curve that Monkey 2 requires is well worth the effort. :)