MONKEY-X PRICE CUTS!

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/MONKEY-X PRICE CUTS!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#1]
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=12368

TomToad(Posted 2016) [#2]
Is this a permanent change or a limited time? The $99 studio version is very tempting, but money is tight right now. Any idea on how long I could wait to take advantage of the deal?

Edit: also, which version of Jungle IDE is it? There are 4 versions.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#3]
Same question as Tom, definitely interesting.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#4]
apart from new targets, what does Monkey do beyond what BlitzMax does, a short answer would nice, and no pointers to threads already existing, just a quick comment on what it does please?

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#5]
Monkey2 is somewhat cheaper than MonkeyX.

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#6]
MonkeyX allows you to build for a variety of mobile and other targets. Users are able to sell their games on the Google Play and iTunes app stores. Unlike BlitzMax MonkeyX uses the target tool chain to optimise and compile your code far betterer than BlitzMax.

There have been over 300 games developed in monkey-x according to the count of announcements on this Monkey-X forum.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#7]
Ive been trying to findout what I can, and it seems the openGL or AL whatever its called needed by desktop apps has to be installed by the user, or an installer with the program, this fact has put me off buying monkey, blitzmax does a fine job of compiling for the desktop, I know iOS targets would be good, but how do you test your app, surely the iOS is closed to private software. and a windows tablet runs desktop software, such as the surface pro

thanks for the info

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#8]
and it seems the openGL or AL whatever its called needed by desktop apps has to be installed by the user, or an installer with the program, this fact has put me off buying monkey, blitzmax does a fine job of compiling for the desktop

I think that's OpenAL you were talking about. If you are aware of opensource licensing, you can see that they are not compatible, with Monkey using zlib/libpng license which is permissive and on the other hand OpenAL's LGPL license which is somehow restrictive but allows shared linking.

Some concise answers that I found on SE, wit the second option to be the setup on Monkey

If you are statically linking the LGPL library then you need to provide the source of the library and either the source or object code of your application.

If you are dynamically linking the LGPL library then you can either distribute you application alone, without the library and tell people where to download it from and how to include it, to use it. Or you can include a copy of the library binaries and its source with your application.

LGPL's basic requirement is to separate the LGPL-licensed library and your own product well enough. That should allow users to supply their own version of the library instead of the one you've shipped with your software (with the bugs fixed, for instance). To accomplish this, you have two options:

-use the LGPL code as a shared library (so the users would just copy their binary of the library over the one you ship), or
- supply the source code of the whole project (so the users can copy their source of the library and recompile everything).

That's the only the reason that I see to answer your question.

For Max, you have a variety of sound modules to choose from and now with the addition of SDLMixer(depreciated) and SoLoud, thanks to Brucey. ;-)

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#9]
OpenAL was the name of the distribution from Creative, the Window3.1 looking installer was the ugliest thing going. Now we have openal-soft so I think those bad times are behind us. Mac and Linux of course support OpenAL as standard.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#10]
Thanks for the good answers.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#11]
I forget to mention here the new Ignition X price ( standalone )... http://playniax.com/store_ignitionx.html

( from $65USD to $50USD )