Porting MiniB3D Monkey to Mojo2/Monkey2

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Porting MiniB3D Monkey to Mojo2/Monkey2

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#1]
Since we're discussing Monkey2 development, I think it would be more plausible, given the work involve if MiniB3D Monkey would be ported to Mojo2 which BlitzMax (NG) and Monkey2 now supports.

I'm sure any Monkey expert here would not have any problem doing it, if Mojo1 and 2 is not that far apart in terms of syntax or implementation.

I have read on Monkey forums AdamRedwoods (author) would consider porting it to Monkey/Mojo2 but it seems it has stopped development.

Any thoughts? maybe a feature request..

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#2]
What always stopped me from using MiniB3D are the (unsolved)bugs/limitations and that it's still afaik DX7 without shaders, so a bit of a step backwards?

Hence my suggestion of using Irrlicht which is OpenGL/DX9 has shaders(at least according to docs), working on BlitzPlus/B3D/Max, crossplatform and it's Blitz wrapper source has been released. (as you can see I'm posting this everywhere, hoping Mark will take notice, and make Monkey2 a big hit ;-).

But perhaps not as easy as I'm assuming as you state in another post to Aqualung(it's author):
"make it link to static shared library, since Irrlicht and BlitzMax are both crossplatform. It would be a waste if it only works on Windows with the DLL wrapper"

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#3]
Download Monkey 1Free and try MiniB3d. You can create Html5 3d games as well as Desktop Games Win/OSX/Linux. The Pro version supports all targets including flash, psp xbox, win8 phone, xna you name it.

http://www.monkey-x.com/Monkey/targets.php

A lot of improvements over original MiniB3d, including AlignToVector.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#4]
Yes, the irrlicht wrapper could do more if AquaLung can make it crossplatform by using static linking. Of course the renderer to use is OpenGL or software rendered.

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2016) [#5]
MonkeyX minib3d isn't perfect I would create a fresh 3d engine than recreate minibus in MonkeyX2 :)

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#6]
@EdzUp

I don't think there's a perfect engine out there, at least we could settle for a stable or working engine like minib3d. I see some games already made and posted in stores like google play so I think it's the best option right now.

To create a fresh 3d engine particularly with limited devs, free or paid, doing it now on BRL products (munch just dropped the openb3d wrapper project) is still a longshot would you think?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#7]
Mark will do 3d for Monkey2 so I would wait for that :)

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#8]
Mark will do 3d for Monkey2 so I would wait for that :)

nice, I hope so. will be looking forward to this!

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#9]

and that it's still afaik DX7 without shaders

for info :

The main difference is that Blitz3D uses Directx 7, and MiniB3D uses OpenGL.

( http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=103618 )

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#10]
OpenGL without shaders then? :-)
Not that I'm too hung up onto the shaders, more interested in nice shadows(+ lighting) and water for which shaders might do some nice tricks, but if achieved otherwise then no hinder.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#11]
minib3d vanilla does not support shaders but there's the extended and plus version which you can do shaders.

There's also openb3d that fully supports it even post fx and multipass, but not yet deferred.

Minib3d extended by Klepto2
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=89447

Minib3d plus by Blabz
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=102524

tried them all. If you are just planning to make simple games with fancy effects, extended can handle it (with some fixes) if you got a heavy scene better use irrlicht wrapper or openb3d.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#12]
Ooooh, 3d with Monkey2 - a webby version of Blitz3D would be sweet ;)

angros47(Posted 2016) [#13]
Would OpenB3D be suitable? It has the same features of miniB3D, but it's written in C++, and can be used with Emscripten, too. It supports shaders, and is compatible with WebGL, too.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#14]
@angros47

I think that will be a great idea and should be more than suitable. Not sure about the rendering part since Mojo2 already has 3D and shader ready but without the functions.