Alien Phoenix - Android - IOS- PC - #2

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Alien Phoenix - Android - IOS- PC - #2

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#1]
This thread is a continuation from here. The previous thread was getting long so moved to here.

Parallax map view version 3

Third times a charm. :) Even Derron has to like this version. :O

Instead of trying to be accurate in distance and depth for the parallax map view I chose to go for a stylized look and feel. I darkened the bottom layer of asteroids, added two galaxies images using an additive blend (over a static background), added another planet image and quickened the the planet movement rate.

I think this works. :)

Derron(Posted 2016) [#2]
It improves :-)

Darkening really helped a lot. Background-nebulae looks nice too.

Albeit you said you did not try to be accurate: the nebulae moves way too fast, it nearly looks as if it was some kind of "fog" behind the planet.
I suggest you reaaaally lower the percentage it moves by "ship movement".

The top asteroids look a bit "glossy" - while this makes them look "crisp" and "sharp", it might look a bit unnatural. Maybe adding some slight colors to them does create the desired interest too (like if they have some rare metals in them, darkish blue, alien-green, ...).

@ like this version
I like it more than the previous one - but I am sure, you can improve it even more.

Btw: think of adding artificial background objects (small ships flying in long distance - just to "break" the "only the ship creates movement in space").

bye
Ron

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#3]
I am working on version 4 of the map. I've dropped the static background (under galaxies) to make galaxies pop and made some other tweaks. The map system rocks! Very happy with the system I have developed and it's nice to have a little fun building a map to test it.

@Derron- I'll answer back on the next video post. ;)

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#4]

About Mapping
I wanted to mention that this framework now uses two classes of mapping. The first is a map tree which is used for the bulk of the map and supports collision and hundreds of thousands of map elements. The second class is map image. Map images are generally used for background/foreground elements in a map and like map tree can be layered. Both systems create a map space that you put elements (parts for map tree and images for map image) into and each map space (or layer) can be drawn independently. This give a nice degree of flexibility when constructing a map.

The map tree collision can be used independently as well and for example if you want several layers (or map spaces) of collision you need only add map parts defined with collision vertices to a map space. You can then draw the map space, or not, ( DrawMap() ) and then additionally check the map space for collision ( MapCollision() ). Using the physics (simple inertia for now) and collision (also fairly simple but simple is good and fast) frameworks you can pass along a physics objects position using MapCollision() which returns true if a collision has occurred. You can then poll GetCollisionNormal() to retrieve the normal and also GetCollisionCoord() to get the collision coordinates. I'll probably be adding a GetMapElement() to return the map element or part involved in the collision plus other methods to assist in interactions.

So thats sort of a simple overview of how the map and collision systems work as of now. I'm still fleshing out how I want to approach this but, so far, it is working out well.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#5]

The framework is running nicely on mobile. Here running on Android. I've put more separation between the asteroid field and the ship / collision layer which helps visually.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#6]
Looks great Richard!

Derron(Posted 2016) [#7]
I like how things evolve. movementspeed of elements could be adjusted later on.

You recognize discrepancies when comparing asteroid dimensions on the player layer... and the smaller ones below...they lost 50% of their size: so you are able to calculate the height difference between the two layers...and therefor the speed difference when moving. Think once you calculated that, things will move even more realistic (this of course depends on what you want to reach).

Bye
ron

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#8]
I just ported the GUI part of this framework from Monkey-X to Monkey2! In 2 days I ported 6000 lines of code and I already have a GUI window up and running and displaying images. I still have some work to do and some kinks to work out but I am really impressed at how well the MX1 code has ported over to Monkey2. I am also enjoying discovering all the new features that Monkey2 offers. Even in it's early stage of development. The mojo properties style architecture is clean and feels modern. In fact I'll be tweaking my code to better reflect the Monkey2 architecture overall. Just super impressed with what Mark has done with Monkey2 and mojo.

I will be porting over the mapping system and other parts of the framework next and as soon as I can I'll post a video of Alien Phoenix running on it's new home Monkey2!

You can get a copy of Monkey2 on github and if you already have Monkey-X you can install it and run it alongside with TED. It is certainly stable enough for you to get discovering and learning what Monkey2 is all about. Also don't forget about supporting Mark's awesome efforts on his Patreon page. Just buck a month lets you support Mark and help bring Monkey2 into the world.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#9]

I just got a new AOC 27" 1080p LED back lighted monitor with a '2' millisecond response time and IPS display! I can't begin to describe the difference from my old 19". Love it! Aside from a giant screen I can now see way better color definition which is what I need for game art/assets development. Such a treat to work with code on this.

I also just bought a Zotac GTX 950 AMP! video card . It should be here Friday. :D With the new monitor I can now push forward in development as my current video card and monitor were not letting me get the job done. The Zotac GTX 950 AMP! benchmarks at about 90% of the performance of a GTX 960, is less expensive and has better compatibility with Linux (I use Linux as a development platform) then the GTX 960. It also uses less power with a 90 watt rating (uses a 6 pin connector). So overall a very good bang for the buck.

I finally saved enough to get what I needed. It's awesome to step out of a 720p world and into a 1080p one and this new graphic card should let me capture video without any issues.

Zotac GTX 950 AMP! on amazon.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#10]
Spaceship Generator:
http://www.blendernation.com/2016/06/23/spaceship-generator/#prettyPhoto

Maybe it is useful for some "backdrop-movements" (biiig ships rendered verysmall and then drawn behind the planets)

bye
Ron

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#11]

Hi,

I've posted a new video at 1080p. :) This video shows off the newest version of the parallax (v-5) with a display resolution of 1920x1080. The map now supports rotation for all of the background asteroids, so they all rotate (except collision layer ones) in this map. Additionally I have made some tweaks to the parallax layers for better viewing. I've also added a new planet (larger size) and a new star field background. The new hardware has proven to be nice and useful.

I've been working on converting the Alien Phoenix framework to Monkey 2 (video shows app made with Monkey-X) which is going well and affording the opportunity to improve things. I've been a little sidetracked by new hardware but that's a nice diversion to have. Anyway, back on track.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#12]
Thanks for the new video.

Rotating the asteroids is a good idea: but please let them rotate "slower". I know, in space the mass is somewhat different to here on earth but it creates a bit too much "noise" on the screen. Also it looks odd if you have multiple asteroids rotating fast (in opposite directions). The slower /subtle the rotation the less odd it will look when mixed.

The rotation is there to make the screen look "alive" ... but imho it is currently distracting to much (with that rotation speed).

The new planet looks ok the way it is. The backdrop behind it is looking like a "painting" - which is contrary to the front. Intention? I think the previous ones (maybe "darker", more contrasting colors and a "sharper" look) fit a bit better.

having the asteroids below darkened (in one of the last updates) really improved overview of what is on the ships layer/z-index.

bye
Ron

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#13]
Thanks for the new video.

NP! :D

please let them rotate "slower"

I will probably slow most of them down. At present they all have a rotation rate of 1,2 or 3 revolutions per-minute. I'm sure I'll settle on some static and the bulk slowly rotating. As far as direction I'm undecided but I think it is expected to have some rotate left and some right.

The backdrop behind it is looking like a "painting" - which is contrary to the front. Intention?

It is my intent for now as I wanted as much color contrast as possible to get a sense of how things will look with brighter backgrounds. That... and I really need to look at something else for a change. :) I will, as I go along either decide on a retro look with lots of color (color seems to be the thing now ala Overwatch) or go for a more realistic look. I'm leaning toward a more retro and colorful look.

having the asteroids below darkened (in one of the last updates) really improved overview of what is on the ships layer/z-index.

Agreed. That and the wider map view (from 720p to 1080p). :)

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#14]
Hi,
I have moved this discussion to the Monkey 2 forum. :D The saga continues here.