[Solved - Linux] Invalid Encoding Running Monkey

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/[Solved - Linux] Invalid Encoding Running Monkey

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#1]
I tried to give this a try on my Linux vbox but downloading the tar.gz package and unzip in my home directory I get a garbled file with invalid encoding in it.

Any ideas?

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#2]
What distribution and version of Linux are you using? Also what version of Monkey are you trying to unzip?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#3]
Hey Richard

its the Free version 84f under Ubuntu 14.04,lts

thanks

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#4]
RustyKristi,

Can you download v.85e from the Monkey website? I've checked it and it is unzipping OK. I can not find v.84f as available to download.

Once unzipped you might want to see this guide if you have not set up Monkey on Linux previously.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#5]
I don't think I can't, the free version only has v84f or 1 version below for some reason (I posted this issue some weeks ago).

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#6]
OK. I'll log out on the Monkey site and see if I see it. Being logged in might have not let me see it.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#7]
Thanks Richard. Try creating a free account and you can see what I'm talking about :)

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#8]
I got a copy of 84f and it extracted OK. So, maybe you should try downloading it again (or checking file integrity on another system) as it may have been corrupted when originally downloaded. I'm using Linux Mint 17.2 (Ubuntu 14.04 based) and 84f works fine here.

Aside from that you could try setting up a new Vbox instance of Ubuntu and see if that works.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#9]
I would probably try downloading again. Here's a similar user experience:

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=10319&post=115081

In fact it's the exact error and file being generated when running the Monkey binary file.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#10]
In that case try changing the permissions for the Monkey binary. It will need to be set as executable as well as having read/write permissions (usually 'owner' permission). I'm not sure what Ubuntu uses for a file manager but you should be able to right-click on the Monkey binary and change the permissions.

You may need to change other file permissions as well and I list which files need to have permissions changed in the guide linked above.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#11]
I already did that Richard with chmod +x. I'm even logged as root to make sure.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#12]
Hmmmmm. Well maybe someone else has a solution. There is also Linux Mint which you could use instead of Ubuntu. :) It's probably a simple fix, I just don't have a solution at the moment.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#13]
thanks Richard, it's totally fine and I really appreciate the time and help. I completely forgot what I was trying to do anyway, maybe some other time or just wait for the next version. :)

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#14]
I take it that you just double clicked the zip file?

For reason only know to mythical deities that for some unfathomable reason people really believe exist.
Those whom are priests that worship and write the bible of the great evil as known Ubuntu Unity UI, decided for some reason to torture their devout followers by making it believe that any mime type that it doesn't recognise should be saved as a file instead of opening up the bible page to select 'The holy tools of enlightenment'; thus saving the sanity of the true Linux believers.

But true Linux believers wouldn't use a GUI to start with and would have just opened up a terminal and used unzip as it says you can do in my MonkeyX gospels. There is a valid reason as to why there is a fair amount of information in there.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#15]
For reason only know to mythical deities that for some unfathomable reason people really believe exist.
Those whom are priests that worship and write the bible of the great evil known Ubuntu Unity UI, decided for some reason to torture their devout followers by making it believe that any mime type that it doesn't recognise should be saved as a file instead of opening up the bible page to select 'The holy tools of enlightenment'; thus saving the sanity of the true Linux believers.

But true Linux believers wouldn't use a GUI to start with and would have just opened up a terminal and used unzip as it says you can do in my MonkeyX gospels. There is a valid reason as to why there is a fair amount of information in there.

Thanks Jason. Yep, but I kinda disagree with my observation here and you can verify this with Blitzmax and Monkey's Linux tar gzip versions.

For sure, I had no problems unzipping the Blitzmax Linux release (Unity UI) when I tried it the first time so I think that's defective packaging on Monkey's side ;-)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/file/get.php?file=/Products/updates/blitzmax/BlitzMax150_linuxx86.tar.gz

http://www.monkey-x.com/file/get.php?file=/Products/demos/MonkeyXFree84f.tgz

I did try it again and even using the terminal it is still throwing that invalid encoding thing..

thanks for the mythical and believer stories there, but it is really a weird monkey packaging huh? Don't worry I'm still a Linux believer :-)

unless I'm still doing something wrong with the unzipping part..

tar -xvzf MonkeyXFree84f.tgz

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#16]
Here is the Blitzmax Linux version running that I downloaded in targzipped format, unzipped in unity ui and it runs out of the box..

side by side with the invalid coding that I'm getting with Monkey packaged tgz.. terminal or unity ui

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#17]
I think I may have found the problem, the Monkey download is 64bit (not indicated) and I'm running on 32bit Ubuntu..

problem solved and thank you for your time guys

osboxes@osboxes:~/Downloads/MonkeyXFree84f$ file Monkey
Monkey: ELF 64-bit LSB  executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), 
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, 
BuildID[sha1]=d64314deacf77104eb72c41caf64960d4b225f88, not stripped

now I know next time if an invalid encoding file is generated..

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#18]
I think I may have found the problem, the Monkey download is 64bit (not indicated) and I'm running on 32bit Ubuntu..
That was going to be the next question. But I'm sure that the file name shouldn't have been corrupted.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#19]
Yep, fortunately it is not corrupted. Thanks again for the input Jason.

I think I'll need to download a 64bit image, my current 32bit setup was a mistake..

cheers.

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#20]
Going 64 bit can be a bit annoying when dealing with 32 bit binaries. But there are a few work around's for most of the problems (not all).

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#21]
Yea I guess I have to keep both images so I can switch between versions :-)