2 questions

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/2 questions

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2016) [#1]
1. Why choose to call this product Monkey X instead of Blitz ?. (Blitz Supreme, maybe)

2. Will there ever be a Monkey that will support 3d development without the the use of 3rd party libraries?

GW(Posted 2016) [#2]
1) not sure. A lot of people tried to persuade Mark that is was a terrible name, but no success.

2) I doubt it. Monkey 1 is all but abandoned and Monkey2 is still in the oven. Everyone would be better off if Monkey just supported an established 3d engine like Urho3D or three.js.

Danilo(Posted 2016) [#3]
@Amanda Dearheart:
What's the problem with using a 3rd-party 3D-engine? Mark can't do everything,
but he is able to create great, advanced, programming languages and compilers.

Modern up-to-date syntax and features, cross-platform, and easy-to-use syntax.
OOP classes, template classes and functions, function variables and lambda's, etc.,
MX2 has most advanced and modern features that programmers are used to.

For the advanced library stuff, it may be better to look for 3rd-party modules,
because Mark Sibly - as I already mentioned - simply can't do everything.

Doing a 3D engine is very different today than it was 15 years ago with DirectX7,
and doing it multi-platform is even harder (Win/Linux/Mac/Android/iOS/XBox/Raspberry PI (1,2,3), ...).

(Actually it would be relatively easy in a theoretical world, but practice/experience shows that every platform
has its own bugs, limitations, and shortcomings, so cross-platform is not that easy as it should be -
without even mentioning that every platform and every device supports a different version of OpenGL)

Just USING an engine like Ogre3D, Unity, Unreal Engine is already not easy. Such high-end and high-quality engines
were developed over several years. By teams of developers, over several years. Yes, that's right.
And those engines are not easy to use. It's relatively complicated stuff, actually -
depending on your own level of knowledge about 3D engines, and depending on your own experience
creating 3D-worlds using world editors (with all assets, models, textures, etc).

You don't seriously expect the same to be done by one man within a reasonable timeframe?

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#4]
1. Monkey uses translation not compilation.

The blitz brand has always been synonymous with handcrafted machine code goodness and monkey is a different breed of fish entirely.

Yes it builds projects for multiple targets that you can call your own but under the hood a monkey translator does not look or taste like a blitz compiler.

2.Mojo3D you say?

I'm sure i read something somewhere.

Sledge(Posted 2016) [#5]
What's the problem with using a 3rd-party 3D-engine?

They're not products you've bought with the remotest guarantee of support, that's the problem with them. They're ineviatably wrappers around open source engines that people maintain as and when they can, if at all. If I'm shipping to customers, that's not good enough.

People want Mojo3D because we know from experience that when you submitted a bug in Blitz3D to Mark it got fixed.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#6]
They're not products you've bought with the remotest guarantee of support, that's the problem with them.

What about Monkey2? You won't be buying that either.
Or is your opinion of open source fluid depending on the particular product?

Sledge(Posted 2016) [#7]
That's a really weird question. My opinion of any open source project depends on a myriad of factors particular to each case. Whose doesn't?

You've quoted what I deem to be the problem with using 3rd-party 3D engines with Monkey-X (and, sure, chuck BlitzMax in there too if you like) so... anything relevant to add there?

Wiebo(Posted 2016) [#8]
Mark has said he wants to create a 3d module for Monkey 2. But that is in the future, no dates given, and of course no guarantee until the moment it has materialized.

Henri(Posted 2016) [#9]
What in life is certain ?

One thing about open source is that it's not closed :-)

-Henri