Hot Platforms

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Hot Platforms

JoshK(Posted 2015) [#1]
Our latest product is Monkey X, which targets the hot platforms of the moment - including iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8, HTML5, Flash and more!

iOS: Everything is free.
Android: Everything is free.
Windows Phone 8: lol.
HTML5: Yay, it's like Flash but not quite dead.
Flash: Dead.

Floyd(Posted 2015) [#2]
iOS: Everything is free.

I saw a claim that 95% of iOS app revenue is from in-app purchases.

JoshK(Posted 2015) [#3]
And it all goes to Zynga.

Pakz(Posted 2015) [#4]
I spend more then a hundred euro's this year on ios apps. I think it is a great store. I also read that there were 150.000+ people making 100.000 or more a year on apps on all platforms.

docwes(Posted 2015) [#5]
flash is not dead basically look at Adobe AIR its powering many of the top games on ios and android. Kongregate and sites like it still have tons of visitors playing flash games there. Don't drink the koolaid my friend.

col(Posted 2015) [#6]
I wonder, what is the 'real' point of this thread, and what is the thought process and intention for posting the original 'observation', hmm I wonder indeed.

John G(Posted 2015) [#7]
I think JoshK is implying that while Mobile development and tools are the Next-Big-Thing after PCs, trying to make-a-buck in mobile may be unlikely or even futile. Just my guess.

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2015) [#8]

1)iOS: Everything is free.
2)Android: Everything is free.
3)Windows Phone 8: lol.
4)HTML5: Yay, it's like Flash but not quite dead.
5)Flash: Dead.

1 and 2) you will only make loads of cash from adverts or in-app purchases, if you make a one of purchase game you may find most of ya cash may have to be plied into advertising.

3) Windows Phone OS is a joke its always been a problem and its one of the reasons no big sellers take it seriously

4) HTML5 is still young and there are some interesting things being done with it, unfortunately MonkeyX isnt powerful enough to actually use it to its full potential.

5) Flash - its being killed off in some areas and its slowly dying but until a suitable replacement is found then its still gonna hang on.

Casaber(Posted 2015) [#9]
HTML is by no mean dead it has just started to waken and thereīs no easy way to make cash yet, thatīs all.
It needs to mature some, but in some aspects its more mature than any other platform in its design.

It needs a powerboost and a way to distribute it other than packaging hybrid apps.

I donīt think HTML is meant to go that path - selling.
It is more meant to be a great standard model, that other models can mimic and patch what they think is a better approach.

I find it interesting to follow.

markcw(Posted 2015) [#10]
I thought that HTML5 was the future and that it had killed Flash. Just not quite yet.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2015) [#11]
newest hottiest platform is the new Coleco vision console http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/17/10428976/coleco-chameleon-console-game-cartridges

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#12]
When did Joshk become a Naysayer, he used to be quite positive. Oh well, it's a slippery slope.... I still like what is possible with Raw HTML5 :-)

Matty(Posted 2015) [#13]
I like html5 but there are still lots of problems with audio on different browsers that mean you have to handle things differently. Worse is the fact that some browsers work differently on mac and windows despite being the same family of browser. Ive had issues where strange things happen with rendering ascii values on the two.

Wiebo(Posted 2015) [#14]
In the end, the native PC platform will prevail. As usual. All those 'hot' platforms made Monkey a mess, IMHO. I await Monkey 2 as a nice language refresh to Max. I hope.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#15]
Facebook recently killed of Flash for videos in favor of HTML5. Flash for games is still supported as there are too many popular ones around still.
I used to do support for Adobe and they have a tendency to buy out wonderful developments by the competition and then kill them by lack of support and firing the original brilliant developers causing it basically to collaps like a burned out star.(flash history)

I too thought HTML5 was the way forward, seeing some impressive demo's but indeed implementation varies from browser to browser and Matty's comments made me think twice about it. Guess HTML6 is needed to fix this? ;-)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#16]
@Matty:

there are still lots of problems with audio on different browsers that mean you have to handle things differently.

Thankfully my project doesn't use any Audio as yet... and I don't intend to ;)

@Rick

HTML5 will have (and is having if you google examples of it!) its day, I'm sure, there's books aplenty with respect to it. I'll 'eat my hat' if there is a HTML6 before 2020!