Pyro is out!

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Pyro is out!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi,

Pyro v1.01a is out!

Pyro is a new game framework for Monkey X and the spiritual successor to Ignition X

Pyro was written from scratch with all the cool new features of Mojo 2 (and ONLY Mojo 2!) in mind and anticipating the arrival of Monkey 2!

You can BUY Pyro here: https://shopper.mycommerce.com/checkout/cart/add/53762-1

After purchase you should recieve a license key that you can use to activate Pyro at http://support.playniax.com

For support or bug reports you can go the brand new Pyro forums: http://www.playniax.com/forums/pyro

PYRO FEATURES

* Screen manager and screens
* Scenegraph with sprites, tiles, dynamic lighting (point and shape), shadow casting and fog
* Tile engine ( orthogonal, Isometric and Isometric staggered tile maps )
* Scene loader
* Render to texture
* Splash/loader screen
* Skinnable GUI system ( layer, image, button, label, progress bar, input box and light )
* Generic particle system
* Delta timer class
* Storage system for saving game data
* Collision / score system
* Highscore manager
* Bitmap fonts + TTF font exporter
* Object pool system
* Content manager
* Texturepacker support
* Common code library
* Sound effects library
* Tons of extra commands and functions
* BASE64 support
* XML loader / saver

Pyro comes with source code examples, project templates and documentation.

Online docs can be found here: http://docs.playniax.com/html/3rd%20party%20modules_Pyro.html

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#2]
Pyro roadmap here

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#3]
This is the first Mojo2 / Pyro demo called DUEL, a little SF shooter.

DUEL is using a lot of lights so you need a fast PC (not kidding) !!!

Read more

col(Posted 2015) [#4]
Great little demo of the 3d lighting technique.

It runs silky smooth on my laptop, Asus NV56Z on Debian 8, Jessie in firefox.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#5]
In Chrome, the progressbar gets 95% of the way there, then the display freezes and nothing happens at all. (with flashblock and adblock both disabled)

In internet Explorer, it loaded Ok and the game played for ~30 seconds or so (running Very smoothly, with nice lighting visuals), then froze.

Windows 8.1 Pro

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#6]
Tried it on OSX Safari. Worked well to begin with, but reloaded to find out what the keys were... from then on, there was an issue with alpha, and all the sprites were being drawn in boxes, and all the fonts were jaggy.
Reloading the page didn't fix the problem.

:o)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#7]
Very nice lighting effects. Runs fast and silky smooth here. Tricky game.

PhotonTom(Posted 2015) [#8]
I'm using firefox on Windows 7 and I get the same problem Brucey mentions. All the sprites are drawn in boxes.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#9]
Thanks guys! I will check it out!

Guessing from what I see it probably has something to do with html5 asynchronous Loading.

I am doing the checks but apparently not enough.

If you wait a while or refresh it will probably show the correct sprites but it needs to be fixed!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#10]
Found the reason why it sometimes crashes!

Some of the sounds play with a volume >1.0 and it seems IE is sensitive to that.

Max. volume now is 1.0

You might want to refresh the page on first time loading...

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2015) [#11]
-- sry.. i had not see that here are more things. This can only precalculated partialy to do gain more speed. The most usage of effect NEEDs a modern PC. --

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#12]
Just uploaded pyro v1.01c!

This one includes the Duel demo full source code...

Read more

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#13]
Pyro v1.01d is up!

I highly recommend this update!

• Tweaked / made changes / improved to the tile system! (VERSIONS.TXT for more info)
• Added casting system to the scene builder
• Added a new demo | source code called platformer (ported from Ignition X)

Please let me know if online demos don't run, I am looking for the cause!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2015) [#14]
Looking your source as somethings really bug me.

prSprite!? Where does that links to as I know what Extends do but I been looking round PrSprite functions if there is one but there is none!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#15]
prSprite is a base sprite that you import by importing the scenegraph.

By expanding a base class you inherit a lot if funtionality / code that you don't need to worry about your self.

From the docs: http://docs.playniax.com/html/Modules_playniax.pyro.engine.scenegraph_prSprite.html

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#16]
I was in a 'porting' mood today so new update available!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#17]
Ha, image distorted display also seems to be a browser caching problem!

When I do a hard refresh CTRL+F5 it seems to solve it...

Could still be a mojo 2 problem...

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#18]
I have uploaded new versions of the demos build with Monkey Pro v84e that seems to solve the html5 glitches!

Anyone still experiencing problems please let me know!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#19]
About 9 days left for our Pyro coupon campaign for existing Ignition X owners :)

therevills(Posted 2015) [#20]
Hey Tony, you might have more interest posting in the general forum it doesnt seem that too many people look in the Monkey forum... (eg I create a Monkey 2 thread and no one replied, yet Richard posted in the general and got replies...)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#21]
You might be right, thanks!

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#22]
Keep it forum related. Or everyone will post everywhere.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#23]
Keep it forum related. Or everyone will post everywhere

I guess one post about it is enough.

Although, I don't see why this stuff could not go in the general forum when people can post stuff there about other 3rd party products or competing BRL products.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#24]
Just added a new virtual controller (joypad) to the Pyro examples (for next update!)

A virtual joystick is also in the works!

Demo here

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#25]
Pyro v1.01f is up!

Read more!

therevills(Posted 2015) [#26]
Look cool Tony!

With the analog joystick, the "deadzone" seems a bit too big and it snaps too much - but very nice.

(Although I would use a lot smaller graphics in a proper game ;))

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#27]
Thanks therevills!

Everything is completly adjustable / scalable so it shoudn't be a problem.
I was playing with different settings and I settled for this ones but now you mentioned it, it does seem a bit 'big' :)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#28]
Last week I got curious how hard it would be to create a particle editor for the Ignition X and Pyro generic particle engine so I started coding away and I found out it was actually quite easy! It's obvious that it needs a lot of work for it to be finsihed but I got most of the mechanics in (I am sure some are missing). It can even export the data already for Pyro to use.

The particle editor is written in Pyro so before I can finish the particle editor I must add a few more GUI components to the Pyro framework first.

I can't emphasize enough that this is a very rough first DEMO but I thought it would be nice to post my progress here once and a while.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#29]
Pyro v1.01g is up!

Read more!

Endive(Posted 2015) [#30]
Okay, that's impressive in the extreme. I had no idea Monkey was capable of this.

Do you have something similar that runs with Blitzmax?

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#31]
I had no idea Monkey was capable of this.

Not really anything to do with the language, since most are pretty much capable of most things.
It's more to do with the programmer/designer/artists.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#32]
I had no idea Monkey was capable of this

Monkey could very well be as capable as BlitzMax but you need to work a bit harder for it sometimes because BlitzMax comes with more modules out of the box installed. You can compensate this with 3rd party modules like Pyro or write your own.

So Brucey is right, it has more to do with the programmer/designer/artists.

Do you have something similar that runs with Blitzmax

I guess BlitzMax and IgnitionMax can do some of the Pyro stuff but you may or may not know, Mark is working on Monkey 2 and I expect it to combine the best of BlitzMax and Monkey and I will port Pyro to it so Monkey 2 so that will be something similar I guess.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#33]
Finally updated our website with Pyro in the spotlight!

Visit http://playniax.com to have a look if you are interested.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#34]
Hey Playniax - I just went to your website and clicked the link to the game demo and all I get is a black empty box and a white empty box beneath it...should I be seeing something?

I'm using chrome on Win7 with a reasonable computer (purchased 1 year ago as a gaming machine for development)

Matty(Posted 2015) [#35]
Edit - it loaded this time...I went back to it about 5 minutes later and it started loading and did stuff....couldn't work out how to shoot but i could move around.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#36]
Yeah, there was an error in the demo template that I fixed but those damn browser cache could spoil it. I will look for a better fix.

If you are talking about DUEL, key M = fire. Click on the 'I' icon in the main menu to see all the controls.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#37]
Hmm...can fire with M thanks...it doesn't always fire though as fast as I press 'M' - is there a ammo limit or something?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#38]
There is a fixed delay between firing so holding down the M key is best.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#39]
Ahh okay.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#40]
Pyro v1.01i is up!

I have added Ignition X style virtual resolution helpers (comparable to autofit), FontMachine support and splitscreen helpers.

Read more!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#41]
Pyro december coupon campaign for existing Ignition X owners!

10% discount!

Only 28 are issued and they are valid until the end of this year so try your luck!

If you login at our support area for Ignition X you will find a coupon.zip file that contains a coupon code.

You can enter this code when purchasing Pyro.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#42]
I have uploaded a 30 days HTML5 trial version of Pyro for you guys to play with for Windows and Mac (no Linux version yet).

The zip file contains both a free version of Monkey X and the Pyro modules (pre-installed).

PLEASE! make sure that you build the .monkey files (bananas, demos, etc.) with the Monkey X version that comes with this zip! or IT WILL NOT WORK! Probably best to open it from within Ted!

Download the zip file here!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#43]
Pyro v1.01j is up!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#44]
Here is a little update on the Pyro 'roadmap' : http://www.playniax.com/forums/pyro/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=119613&p=123928#p123928

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#45]
Phew, got the undo / redo system working in the Pyro editor :) With some luck I can post a little demo within a month...

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#46]
Pyro v1.01k is up!

Also, I finally got around updating the forums to the latest phpBB and also added a more readable theme.
Previously you could not subscribe to topics (very annoying!) so this is now fixed.
You can still email directly of course as most of you seem to prefer but sharing your questions / problems on the forums can help other with similar issues :)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#47]
The number 1 framework for MOJO2 just got a lot better!

Pyro v1.01l is up!

This is a fairly big update!

I have added a way to draw 'directly' to a layer or layers DrawLists making it possible to draw behind ( background ) or on top of ( overlay ) layer objects or entities.
This way your app benefits from the scene graphs features such as virtual resolutions, sprites, tiles, etc. without losing the freedom of 'free drawing'.
These DrawLists can be static (baked) or dynamically
With this new feature it became very easy for me to add Spine support and Box2D. Actually, any type of third-party module or your own stuff can be easily drawn / rendered to a Pyro layer.
For convenience I have also added a DebugDrawList to the layers ( always on top of the layer )
Examples on how to use the DrawLists have been added to 'bananas\e03_engine\e09_layer_drawlists'

I have also added a simple pathfinding module and 2 pathfinding examples one of them being a Pacman style 'game'.

Here is a 'complete' list of new stuff

• Added Box 2D physics! (No RUBE importer yet!)
• Added Spine and examples on how to use it with the Pyro scene graph ( Playniax / Skn3 Spine module )
• Added simple pathfinder module and example
• Added simple Pacman-ish demo using the pathfinder
• Added SetEntitiesDrawListIndex, GetEntitiesDrawListIndex and DrawList to prLayer for drawing 'directly' to layers!
• Added DebugDrawList to prLayer for drawing debug information
• Fixed prLabel displaying 'hello world' no matter what text you set (?!)
• Fixed some issues with reflection
• Moved fontmachine module from thirdparty folder to modules root

I have moved some things around om my to do list mainly because I don't expect Monkey 2 to be 'production' ready as fast as I thought.

The next things I will have a look at is adding the RUBE importer to Pyro and getting the new GUI module ready for release.

Also keep your eyes open for new demos and examples.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#48]
Okay, so here is an early attempt for a Pyro source code library like I am already doing for Ignition X

I have uploaded just a few examples (box2D, pathfinding and Spine) mainly for testing. I am already aware of some shader errors showing up in the browsers console but I need to contact Mark about this. The examples seem to work nevertheless.

The idea about this source code library is to update it frequently with new stuff even between Pyro updates.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#49]
Animation of the spine thingy seems a bit odd ... it "jumps" when it shouldn't.

bye
Ron

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#50]
Will have a look!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#51]
One of the cool things Pyro can do is render a scene to an image!
I have added a simple Scene to image example to the Pyro source code library

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#52]
3 new examples in the Pyro source code library

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#53]
Some new examples in the Pyro source code library

Derron(Posted 2016) [#54]
"Render To Layer" still looks wrong. As I do not know if the problem lies in the configuration or the framework, it might be best to investigate such bugs/issues before adding more and more samples.

bye
Ron

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#55]
"Render To Layer" still looks wrong

My bad... it was the IgnoreRootPosition setting of the spine runtime, not a bug. I adjusted this after your first 'report' but the recompiled version did not make it in the samples folder because I simply forgot to copy it.

it might be best to investigate such bugs/issues before adding more and more sample

I did and I always do. Sadly sometimes bugs make it through. Here is where the community helps out and that (besides promoting) is also the point of posting here as I wrote above:
I have uploaded just a few examples (box2D, pathfinding and Spine) mainly for testing ... The examples seem to work nevertheless.

So many thanks you for the feedback!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#56]
BTW, these sample pages are created by a script I wrote. The script compiles the samples, zip the files and creates the index page. I needed an easy way to update the samples and upload them. This part works extremely well. Now the next part will be to 'spice' it up by adding a link to the source code and make everything look more pretty by maybe adding screenshots or just make the index page look better and more categorized. Eventually I would like it look something like this : http://phaser.io/examples

Derron(Posted 2016) [#57]
Works now.

@Auto build
yep, strips off from needed time ;-)

Screenshots could be autodone too ... with a bit more setup time spend (running it in an virtual machine instance or an integrated webkit-view).
Maybe doing a manual screenshot is easier to do.

bye
Ron

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#58]
Maybe doing a manual screenshot is easier to do

I guess so. For each demo I just need to do this once an place it in the directories. The script will build the HTML code / pages, indexes, and zip files. Manually keeping that up to date is the time consumming part.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#59]
BTW, these sample pages are created by a script I wrote. The script compiles the samples, zip the files and creates the index page.
Nice piece of scripting ;)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#60]
Pyro v1.01m up! ( for Monkey 1 )

Small but necessary update:

• Added SetInvincible and Invincible to the score collector
• Fixed tiled importer problem with multiple tilesets from tsx file
• Updated to use the latest Spine module with latest fixes

And I have added a new platormer demo to the online source code library.

Click on 'New/Another platformer' ( hit mouse or space ingame to have the monkey start walking )

Enjoy!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#61]
I like the new platformer demo, the particles/effects is also particularly impressive ;)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#62]
Pyro v1.01n for Monkey X is up!

• Added simple highscore manager
• Added proper group object support to scenegraph
• Optimized the tiled importer for speed gain!!!
• Reworked gui system ( borrowed some code form Pyro for Monkey2 )
• Added proper group object support to gui system
• Added sliders to gui system

Now the GUI module has changed and improved a lot so please go through the examples and docs again to see what has changed!

I like to point out that a Pyro for Monkey X license will remain valid once Pyro for Monkey2 is out and there is a demo of Pyro for Monkey2 available in our support area!

For people who missed it, here are some Pyro for Monkey2 demos

1) http://www.playniax.com/SAF/spiral/ ( use mouse to drag the ball )
2) http://www.playniax.com/SAF/jungle/

Now I am aware of some problems with Pyro for Monkey2 but don't hesitate to report more problems.

Pyro for Monkey2 is still a WIP!

Please mention your OS and Browser if you experience problems!