Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey X Jam March 2015

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#1]
See here:

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9537

Welcome to the First Monkey X Jam
Sponsored by
Martin "Xaron" Leidel
Playniax

First of all let me introduce you to Monkey-X.com, Monkey is a flexible affordable and powerful development tool for making games and app's, which can then be deployed on a lot of platforms. some of the main targets include Html5, Flash, Windows, Linux, Android and apple but there are many others, Monkey has already been used to make commercial games which can be found on Apple and Android as well as Steam.

This Monkey X Jam Event is open to everyone, the Event will take place over 1 week at the end of which all entries will be accepted and judged, good luck all.

MonkeyJam
Theme Options
Theme 1 : "Vertical Scroller"
Theme 2 : "Jungle (as in forest not the ide :) )"
Start Date : Friday 6th March 2015
End Date : Sat 14th March 2015 6pm GMT
Judged/Announced : Sunday 15th March 2015 - announcement might take longer depending on the time required to play test the games.

Scroll to the bottom for the Free version.
Download Monkey [ http://www.monkey-x.com/Store/_index_.php ]

Rules
1. All entries must be original works created for this event.
2. All entries must be based on the provided theme.
3. All entries must be Zipped and e-mailed to the Judges.
3.1 Entries should also be submitted to the Monkey-X app's section and the source posted in the apps subsequent forum post.<Link>.
3.2 Zip files must be under 20 meg for the site, and as small as possible for the e-mail, if issues arise via e-mail due to size then please upload the zip and e-mail the judges a link.
4. All entries must be PG rated and not use any copyrighted asset's, art, sound or music.
5. Use of Third Party Modules is permitted and encouraged but not required.
5.1 All Modules / source used must be Free so that judges can compile/run

Prizes
1st - Monkey Pro Licence
2nd - Ignition X

Judges
Be sure to send your submission's to both judges.
Xaron martin.leidel@...
Playnix monkeyjam@...

Derron(Posted 2015) [#2]
Please reply here too ... once the "themes" are set. I am visiting monkey-x more on occasion so I else might miss it. Of course I will reply here too if I am the first to recognize it.

bye
Ron

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#3]
Cool ;)

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#4]
I might just have the time. Html5 entries judged using Chrome?

Derron(Posted 2015) [#5]
First theme announced: "vertical scroller".

bye
Ron

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#6]
2nd theme announced too. Good luck.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#7]
need to check when the deadline is..... I've been needing some motivation to get my Monky on - now I've an android device that (might) be recognised - I've no excuse

Derron(Posted 2015) [#8]
I am heavily annoyed by IDEs/editors on linux: TED does not even have autocomplete for local code (so no "intelligence" is needed) but has auto capitalize (which is needed for monkey - and really annoying because it needs you to use another key on the keyboard when rapid prototyping...).

Jentos IDE is crashing on a more or less regular base (1.1 on linux). It also autocapitalizes things keywords of variables when writing ... so "newX" autocorrects to "NewX" just when pressing "X" - same for other registered keywords. No... no!
Sublime Text 3 with "packages" does not provide auto capitalize.

Only benefit for now: if you know BlitzMax, you only have to adjust your brain to "List<Type>" and "Type = Class". Also you change "endif/end if = end", "End Method = End" (or leave it because monkey allows for both).

As I am using v77 free for my entry I cannot test it on Android - but am using 800x480 as design resolution.

Ok, back to some Blender tuts regarding shadow catcher setups (I use it to rarely to still remember what's the best approach with cycles for sprite rendering).

Seems I will have to be nearly finished with it till wednesday, will have to write my final thesis from then on...

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2015) [#9]
My entry: Ape's Banana Conquest

Play:
http://digidea.de/games/abc

Source+Build as archive:
http://www.digidea.de/games/abc/apesbananaconquest.zip

Credits + Information are shown when demo mode starts (just wait 15 seconds in the title screen and the ape will play automatically).

Have fun.

(Tested with Chrome)

bye
Ron

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#10]
^Neat-o:) Works on Firefox and IE.

degac(Posted 2015) [#11]
@Derron: nice little game!
tested on Chrome

ps: compliments for the graphics!

pps2: no refers to MonkeyX (excluding the 'thanks to Mark Sibly for BlitzMax and Monkey...'

Derron(Posted 2015) [#12]
Yeah, I was not very satisfied with "Monkey" in this experiment: I really have to get used to "case sensitivity" - or get used to the very "raw" TED-editor... but hey, at least you read the credits. Should have begged for money there ;-)

I could have printed a monkey logo somewhere ... but I even did not use my "digidea.de"-logo so yeah (just not enough screen estate). Maybe I add both of them during in a later version - eg small icons in the credits screen (if I win I would be able to compile an android variant ... which needs some more advanced things like time-slow-down-items etc. - so this would be the moment of introducing changes, dunno if I would be able to do that now during the jam).

@compliments
Thanks, I used the jam to learn some things with Blender, first time "sculpting" things (the monkeys face). Also learned how easy it is to setup "drivers" (something like expressions/formulas to manipulate things - eg. the production lines "plates" are moved by a distance calculated on the base of the rotation of the "handle/gear").

I also learned that the "Diddy" framework does not provide everything what I need - and some of what it provides, is fighting my implementations (eg. my own sound manager/crossfader conflicts with Diddy directly manipulating audio channels).

But like said: most annoying thing was the Editor (debugger + autocapitalize is the only thing the editor provides -- although error messages contain line numbers you cannot click on them - or get the line numbers displayed in the editor, means: copy paste the file to your own editor to quickly see the desired line).

Maybe it gets better in the next jam.

Edit: I added a more explicit monkey mention in the credits:

degac(Posted 2015) [#13]
I think I need another life to get the time to 'discover' Blender...

Monkey referements: It wasn't a critic, just a consideration about the 'Monkey-jam' without reference to it!
I like your solution.

BTW your logo is really nice!

About case-sensitivity... I simply HATE IT! I really don't understand why Mark choose this way, just a complication (fast development - for me - means fast typing also...)

therevills(Posted 2015) [#14]
I also learned that the "Diddy" framework does not provide everything what I need

We can always improve it, what didn't it do which you needed?

and some of what it provides, is fighting my implementations

Well it is designed to use it internal implementations.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#15]
@therevills
All basic things I had to implement on my own are things it missed :p

To not derail this thread, I will answer your question in the monkey-x.com-diddy-thread.

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#16]
question:
why do you need to mention monkey, mark sibly, thanks, etc?

Derron(Posted 2015) [#17]
I did not "need" it but it sounded as if it would be nice to have such things in a jam entry.

And because thanking him solely is a bit "sparse" I added Brucey and my wife too :p

bye
Ron