BlitzXXX -> Monkey Converter

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/BlitzXXX -> Monkey Converter

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#1]
Any plans for this? I don't need it personally but I'm well aware there would be plenty of people who wouldn't mind porting their old BlitzMax, Blitz3D, and/or BlitzPlus games over to Monkey at the touch of a button. Of course things like MaxGUI and 3D won't be supported on all platforms, but it's still something to think about for the sanity of your customers Blitz Research Ltd. :)

Think about the competition, GameMaker:Studio, Stencyl, Unity3D, UnrealEngine, and the list goes on, all these game engines have made porting your older games to newer products easier than ever, the Blitz product line IMO has done the worst job at maintaining game compatibility with product updates. Feel free to discuss anything on this subject here.

*(Posted 2014) [#2]
Tbh I don't think its required mainly because porting said products would be insanely difficult for example:

Blitzmax has pointers, byte variables etc all are missing in monkey

Blitz3d has 3d commands

Blitzbasic and blitzplus are dead products

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#3]
Wrong. Thanks to Ploppy, Blitzbasic & blitzplus have risen from the depths. :)

Did you see Ploppy's new Blitzbasic Hardwired?

It works in ANY language that can load & use DLL files / functions.

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#4]
@Guy Fawkes - is blitzbasic the same as blitzplus? the website url is blitzbasic but there isn't a forum section for that all I see is blitzplus sub-forums.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#5]
Blitzbasic is near identical to blitzplus, but was discontinued years ago.

The difference is that blitzplus also contains GUI commands, access to the windows API, and has a bunch of bugfixes for newer hardware/operating systems

(As a matter of fact, Blitzbasic was very similar to Blitz3D, minus all the 3D commands)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#6]
That's what I meant. Blitz3D. Sorry for the incorrect terminology. I was tired when I said that.

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thanks xlsior, that clears things up a bit.

This topic wasn't mentioned like I actually thought BRL were going to do anything about this, I know they're not - too much work and of course the compatibiliy issues that would have to be fixed. It was more of an observation and I was wondering how many people liked this idea, not that it would get anywhere.