Ignition X roadmap

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Ignition X roadmap

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi,

I've put together a 'roadmap' of what we are (or are likely) to be implementing in the near future.

I'll update it every now and then.

First of all on popular demand, a better tile system / engine with proper support for Tiled. I clearly have underestimated the need for it. The current tile system is not that bad really (just a bit misunderstood) but the editor I made is far to basic obviously. So that is the first thing we are going to correct. We have already written the importer and now we just need to improve the tile system itself. This is the next ‘big thing’ for Ignition X and has the highest priority now.

Anyway, here we go: (this list is subject to change)

Short term:

• XML
• Base64
• TimelineFX support
• Better tile engine / tiled support
• Tweening module ( the module is done, just needs docs: http://playniax.com/showcase/tweendemo/demo.html )

Long term:

• Better Texture packer support
• World Editor (I have a working version of it already that we use for our own games)
• Desktop GUI components
• Spine support

Ongoing:

• Common code
• Documentation
• Tutorials
• Demos

We are also working working on some games that will probably spawn extra functionality for the framework.
On top of this Stuart will be adding modules of his own like for example a isometric engine and a AI module but more on that layer.

Bye,

Tony

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#2]
Okay, after a lttile 'derail' (in this case a good thing) because of the partnerships with BRL and Ziggy from LemonBytes we are 'back on track' picking up where we have left.

But the following features we can remove from the to do list above:

• XML support
• Base64 support
• Full Tiled support
• TimelineFX

Also, I plan to post some screenshots of the world editor and gui stuff soon.

The word editor is turning in to a fun and powerful tool!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#3]
This is a preview of the editor that we are creating for Ignition X (subject to change!) using the GUI we are building:

The editor can be used to edit levels by importing images/objects and position them in a virtual world.
The images/objects can be given all kind of properties like for example a name.
The level data can be loaded in your game and casted while loading to the object you desire.
You can find the object by name and create code for it.

ErikT(Posted 2015) [#4]
Looks incredible, I'll be trying this out for sure :) Monkey X exclusive or for bmax as well?

josk(Posted 2015) [#5]
This does look good, not done anything in monkey for a bit but Ignition makes it worth coming back too.

skidracer(Posted 2015) [#6]
That is a fantastic looking effort Playniax!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#7]
Thanks!

Monkey X exclusive or for bmax as well

Not decided yet but the editor will probably have diffrent export possibilities so it can't be hard to load the data for BlitzMax projects / IgnitionMax

not done anything in monkey for a bit but Ignition makes it worth coming back too

Monkey is always worth coming back too :)

ErikT(Posted 2015) [#8]
Not decided yet but the editor will probably have diffrent export possibilities so it can't be hard to load the data for BlitzMax projects / IgnitionMax

Cool! I don't mind using Monkey over Bmax at all come to think of it. It's more or less the same language to me.

Stupid question: Any idea when you'll be ready to release?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#9]
Any idea when you'll be ready to release?

I don't dare to make a ATE for this one. I got the functions basically working but things like the cosmetics, undo/redo and stability need more work. Things will be more clear at the beginning of next month I hope.

While building this editor I am also creating the GUI stuff and that is a hell of a job but at the end it means a nice editor and a nice GUI to release for Ignition X.