Monkey vs Stencyl vs Construct 2

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey vs Stencyl vs Construct 2

TransDiv(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi 2 All

I'am evaluating Monkey, but also have found in the Net two other popular alternatives : Stencyl and Construct 2; The last ones looks more Tools Oriented and looks very capable and Monkey looks a lot more like a programming language.

I feel confortable with code programming but don't dislike other ways of programming. Allthough Stencyl look like a graphical blocks programming.

Anyone have try those two alternatives? What gives me a little afraid of those is that sometimes at the end you found a wall that is very difficult to bypass without the flexibility of a real programming language.

Any adivice from you experience of these alternatives vs Monkey.

I know we are in a Blitz site and logically our opinions are somewhat biased in favor of Monkey, but any advice would be useful to take a desicion.

Thx in Adv.
TransDiv

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#2]
One Answer to this is Blitz Monkey.

Stencyl and Construct 2? Both of them bit like own Level Editor and putting whatever sprites positions you want in less time than you would do coding in Blitz Monkey

Try all three Demo and see what your best for you :)

popcade(Posted 2013) [#3]
I have to say, they're different things..

Monkey: for coders by coders, you have to code your logic, functions, mechanisms etc.

There's a free alternative called OpenFL(nme/Haxe), which is also a multi-target metacompiler, but harder to setup and use.

Stencyl: visual compose of your game, much like worknig with a sandbox.

Construct 2: you can consider it a MMF for HTML5, a click-ish product, there're free alternative called Compil GameDevelop at http://www.compilgames.net/ , you can absolute use that instead.

popcade(Posted 2013) [#4]
[oops]Double Post??[/oops]

Ian Thompson(Posted 2013) [#5]
Monkey has the most range, that is, the least limitations when compared to these sandboxed development environments. IMHO, there's no competition, Monkey all the way.

Calibrator(Posted 2013) [#6]
It seems to me that GameMaker is closer to Monkey than either of those two.
You can use lots of code that resembles Java with GameMaker - at least to my Java-untrained eyes.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#7]
FYI, Monkey got renamed to Monkey X and BRL made it free for commercial use on HTML5 and desktop platforms. You can also sign up there now too with the free version and use the forums.

http://www.monkey-x.com

*(Posted 2014) [#8]
There are the more expensive alternatives like Unity and UDK, the licensing terms for unity is that you buy the license if you make 50k a year.