Porting from Blitz3d to Monkey

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Porting from Blitz3d to Monkey

fox95871(Posted 2013) [#1]
Is it possible, is what I'm wondering basically. I've read that Minib3d has been used to make 3d stuff happen in Monkey, Opengl can be used, but with more difficulty... but what exactly is the likelyhood I can magically get my now almost finished Blitz3d program onto cellphones, Xbox, et cetera, using Monkey?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
i'm not sure on how equal footing b3d and minib3d are, because i've never owned b3d. i know terrain functions are missing, but most other things should be quite similar.

but at some point the two will diverge, if for no reason other than that target platforms have their own set of rules that interfere with other platforms (ie. mobile requires optimized textures, xbox "reach" profile does not allow point lights).

*(Posted 2013) [#3]
One thing i would recommend is a complete rewrite as there are considerable changed from blitz3d (10 years old + product) to relatively new monkey.

One thing that does come to mind is types, variables are different in some cases. There are no types in monkey they are classes these can have nested functions and methods in them. Variables have to be declared before use with their explicit type.

Monkey is nearer to blitzmax than its ancient cousin blitz3d

fox95871(Posted 2013) [#4]
Ahh that's okay, I'm not real thrilled about the idea anyway. My games are intended to be played with a monitor and speakers. I like a rich experience when it comes to escapism, not a tiny screen and tinny sound.

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#5]
You should leave porting to other platforms when you're finished with the product. This way you only carry one concern at a time.

All the game logic will be already written, so it'll be easier than what you might think.

fox95871(Posted 2013) [#6]
Trust me, I live slow. And multitasking to me just seems like a form of masochism. So I'll be taking your advice.