Problems with static (Computer)

Community Forums/General Help/Problems with static (Computer)

Yue(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello, I have problems with my pc with possible static. What happens is that the winter has started and do not know if that has to do, but in the morning the pc will not start until you disconnect the power cord and precione several times the power button on the pc, this really has me worried .

Do not know if it's the mud wall in the room where the computer is or may be at...

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
I've seen the same thing happen to PC's before, but no idea what to do about it...

What's the temperature in the room that you keep the computer?

Yue(Posted 2013) [#3]
Now in winter temperature ranges from about 8 to 12 degrees in temperature, not safe, it is only an estimate. Only on the Internet say it is static and that the solution is to unplug the power cord and precionar several times the power button is released so that static, then after turning works well, I turn it off I turn it on but the problem comes in the morning again, does not operate the normal ignition.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#4]
A problem with the transformer may happen because of dust, of humidity, of a too low temperature, of a too high temperature, of a voltage surge.

The first thing to try would be to put a cardboard around your computer when it is off at night, it will help to avoid to catch too much humidity or to become too cold.

Then you could try to remove the dust by blowing in a small pipe so that you don't take all the dust in the face ;)

And also check if the voltage of the power source is stable else it will damage your transformer or the components of the computer.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#5]
Well, if I think I have to do something about it, I appreciate the information, using cardboard seems very good idea.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#6]
Light a bonfire and put your computer on top. Thatll warm it up.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#7]
What the carton has not worked, the cold is dry this morning, after several attempts succeeded in lighting, have if aguien help me.

When I turn on the fan in the power supply only moves a little and stops.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#8]
Maybe you can try to put a dry blanket all around it and make sure that no humidity can reach it.

Or maybe use another fan to keep the components dry.

It can also be because of an unstable voltage, and if so there is not much you can do except maybe add an external voltage regulator between the power source and the computer.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#9]
I'm really sad, I opened the box and power supply capacitors I have two slightly swollen and grime over the internet apparently say they are dying and that affects the power source ....

with agony

GfK(Posted 2013) [#10]
Swollen capacitors is a sign of imminent death.

*(Posted 2013) [#11]
Yeah was gonna say it sounds like the psu is on its last legs

Yue(Posted 2013) [#12]

i am sad

Died my pc, my dream Died

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#13]
Que mala suerte!
Cambiale la fuente de poder. No es muy cara. Pero asegúrate de agarrar una que le provea suficiente poder al dispositivo de gráficas. Creo que eso fue lo que causo que se le quemara su fuente de poder.

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#14]
Do you have an earth connection on your electrical sockets in columbia? May be worth connecting the case of your PC to a pole in the ground (radiator or tap/faucet will do too)

Although i doubt it is static anyway as any mild - moderate static fields should be dissipated by the casing even if it is not earthed. If you live in a humid climate i would be suspecting the heat & damp in the air as the primary concern (do you have a dehumidifier?).

But yeh i agree could likely be the PSU or MB (although if the air is damp it could shorten the lifespan considerably)

Yue(Posted 2013) [#15]
Apparently it was the humidity, many transistors on the motherboard and power supply are inflated and oxidized in their heads ....

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#16]
Need to get dehumidifier (and a new MB/psu) whichever is more cost effective to run/replace.

Another option is silica beads or rice (the white food sort). Stick some cloth bags of silica gel or rice in non-risky parts (common sense required) of your computer case.
That should absorb a lot of the moisture, replace every 3 months.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#17]
Apparently it was the humidity, many transistors on the motherboard and power supply are inflated and oxidized in their heads ....

It -could- be humidity, but that's not necessarily the case. Bulging or leaking capacitors can also be due to manufacturing defects, or sub-standard materials used in the factory.

Unfortunately, once you start seeing these kind of issues, you are bound to have problems, and not much you can do about it other than replace the bad motherboard or PSU. I don't suppose your computer is under any kind of warranty from the seller?

Yue(Posted 2013) [#18]
No Computer has no warranty, buy it for in a free market parts and other products in a secondhand store, it's a shame, for me is a big blow and I only have a cell phone which I write, it's definitely a tragedy delay saving for this long and I hurt ... I lost a lot.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#19]
That really sucks...

I know it doesn't really help you now, but for next time: Before you buy, take a close look at the parts and make sure that the capacitors (those barrel shaped things) look undamaged: bulging, bending, discoloration and residue are all bad things, and a sign that the part can die any moment.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#20]
I think it's a good opportunity to learn something, I say it can be arranged if replacement capacitors for others of the same brand, it would learn something from mail and welding, may not work, but maybe try.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#21]
Replacing the capacitors is difficult (in the factory they are soldered on by machines, there's likely not enough room to do them by hand. Easy to accidentally burn/melt other components that are close by.

Secondly, most electronics use a bunch of different capacitors with different ratings. You'd have to find a bunch of them

Thirdly, even some of the remaining capacitors that still look OK may also be misbehaving

Lastly, capacitors going out could have caused unexpected electrical behavior elsewhere in the components, which means that it could have shorted out other parts (chips, resistors, etc.) which may look perfectly fine but still keep everything from working.

I mean, you can try, but it's unlikely to be fixable.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#22]
:(

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#23]
Ah go on. you got nothing to loose. I have many a time gone component fishing on old boards to pull off capacitors etc.. (a spare MB or other electronic computer junk is very likely to have the farad value you need).
Just be careful as xlsior said. If you cannot solder a board joint with <200 millisecond touch-time then you might want to practice on a bit of veroboard with wire first.

At the end of the day it will either work or it won't. Other than time it has cost you nothing. (and feels great when it does work :D)

Yue(Posted 2013) [#24]
Okay I'll try, I only take about 15 days to save for a multimeter and another 8 for a soldering iron ... I have already taken over some manuals and I have an old board to practice, the good thing is that I learn something new, well that I mention to not feel so frustrated.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#25]
Okay I'll try, I only take about 15 days to save for a multimeter and another 8 for a soldering iron
it would be cheaper, safer, and more chance of success to just buy new PC parts. If you start dabbling with DC mains voltage and don't know what you're doing, you could kill yourself fairly easily.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#26]
The other option would be to save for a board and a Power Supply now it would take about 9 months, eating nothing clear on some occasions and with many sacrifices ... but neither would be nice to finish burned as a slice of bread in a toaster

GfK(Posted 2013) [#27]
You need to emigrate if it will take you almost a year to save for a PSU.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#28]
Yue>>Because it may be difficult to do a resistant soldering on the pcb, i suggest to cut the small electrodes of the damaged capacitor and to solder the electrodes of the new capacitor on the remaining electrodes.
But ! Be sure to note the polarity of the capacitor before you remove it, because some kinds of capacitors have a polarity.

And off course, wear non conductive gloves if you don't want to be electrised or electrocuted...

GfK(Posted 2013) [#29]
Can I just voice a small note of concern here?

The guy does not even own a soldering iron. He is not going to be able to accurately and safely solder a PCB, replacing mounted components like-for-like - he just isn't.

The above advice might be great if you were going to confidently go ahead with this, but for your own safety (and the safety of those who will burn with you if you catch the house on fire through dodgy electronic work), I strongly urge you to chalk it up as a loss, and replace it.

Bad electrics are very, very dangerous.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#30]

and the safety of those who will burn with you if you catch the house on fire through dodgy electronic work

True, but humidity is the cause of the problem, so a fire is out of the question. ;)

No seriously listen to Gfk on this one, if you don't know how to do a clean soldering or if you think your transformer is damaged, you really need a new one. Even if this doesn't burn your house, the gazs emitted by damaged components will intoxicate your body, so don't play with this...

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#31]
Don't do it, the chances of it working are slim to none, and the end result will be a fire hazard...

Yue(Posted 2013) [#32]
Fuck this, from what I say, that the chances of that work is almost zero, leave this as is, I think it would be more profitable to sell the rest is in good condition, as the hard drive, graphics and all.

Well, nothing more to say.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#33]
Fuck this, from what I say, that the chances of that work is almost zero, leave this as is, I think it would be more profitable to sell the rest is in good condition, as the hard drive, graphics and all.

Well, nothing more to say.
Except, remove the swearing. It's not necessary.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#34]
This is very funny, I have what I think is in good condition and I have gotten into a bag of rice as mentioned above to protect them from moisture, my wife was furious and said "you're crazy, that stupid idea computers learn from you mad, we have for food and if for that stupid idea of computers and now you feed to the computer ".... : S

GfK(Posted 2013) [#35]
I don't think it's going to eat it.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#36]