Vista Local Access Only /limited connectivty

Community Forums/General Help/Vista Local Access Only /limited connectivty

Doggie(Posted 2013) [#1]
Anyone know how to fix this. Nothing that I could Google for works.
I disabled IPv6 and put an IP address and DNS for IPv4 but still
no luck. Tried disabling and re enabling. No joy...
The device manager reports the Atheros network adapter is functioning.

ideas?

thanks!

DOG

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
- Do you have a router on your local network?
- Do you have any MAC address blocks set up on your router?
- Do you have any other devices which can communicate on the network?
- Can you ping your gateway IP address on your local network?
- Can you ping any other devices on the local address?
- Can you ping internet addresses by IP? (e.g. 8.8.8.8, google's free DNS server)
- Did you check

Has this device ever worked, or did it stop all of a sudden?

If it stopped all of a sudden recently, try rolling back your OS a week or so through system restore, it's possible that some piece of spyware or a virus is screwing around with the network stack behind the scenes

Anyway, there's literally dozens of possible causes and solutions for your problem, but you really will need to provide a lot more info to get to the bottom of it.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#3]
try unplugging your router/modem for 10 seconds and then plug it back in.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
Restarting the router should be the first thing you tried.

If that doesn't work, then do you have firewall enabled on your PC? Disable that. If it helps, you can re-enable it and look into some of the firewall settings.

If you want to enter an IP address manually, then you need to enter the IP (192.168.0.nnn usually), subnet mask, normally 255.255.255.0, default gateway which is the local IP of your router. You can also specify primary and secondary DNS if you want to use opendns or googledns. This will override any settings on the router tiself (some let you change dns, some don't).

If all else fails, then you can also try a factory reset on your router. Be sure you know what settings you need to put back in later, if any. It would also pay to make a backup, just in case.

Doggie(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thanks for the replies.
Yes, there is a router and yes other devices on the same router
work flawlessly. There are no conflicts with IP address that
I can determine. The computer in question used to be able to
connect to the internet but hasn't in sometime.
I've restarted the router which does not help.
I'm thinking I might have to upgrade from Vista to WIN 7 or 8
but it's for my little Fujitsu Lifebook so I dunno if I want to or not.

thank you!

DOG

GfK(Posted 2013) [#6]
When you say you restarted the router, did you do it via the firmware, or unplug it from the wall? The latter is the best way.

Though, I'm strongly suspecting there's a firewall blocking internet access, or possibly something a little more sinister i.e. malware.

Doggie(Posted 2013) [#7]
I unplugged the router from the wall. It works flawlessly on all my other computers. I'll try turning off the firewall and running my spybot defender program and get back to you.

*(Posted 2013) [#8]
This is a bug in Vista that happens sometimes, the OS itself loses or corrupts the wifi driver.

Try the following:
1) Try rolling back your wifi driver (if there is one to roll back to)
2) Try reinstalling the driver from a disk and seeing if that helps. Or from the internet if you dont have a disk

Doggie(Posted 2013) [#9]
Thanks Ed. I've already tried to update or rollback the driver
without success either way. I might have the setup disks somewhere
but I'm not sure. I'll look on another machine on the internet to see what I can find.

Thank you

DOG

update: installed latest driver from Fijitsu with no luck.
I've got SpyBot Search and Destroy running now.

Doggie(Posted 2013) [#10]
after running spybot and removing a ton of junk then rebooting
with the new driver...IT's Working! I'm using it right now.
Thanks so much for everyones' input.

DOG

josk(Posted 2013) [#11]
I have had this problem, I usually plug into the router directly so the internet works then unplug it and all is fine.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#12]
I usually plug into the router directly so the internet works then unplug it and all is fine.
Doesn't help when the router/phone socket is 20 metres from the PC, and on a different floor. ;)

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#13]
I assume you have tried turning it off and on? (full reboot, PC + boxes) (sorry but you will be surprised how many people fiddle relentlessly before trying that!)

Was it working before?

If so:

Reboot your router as advised. Then remove your wireless network card from device manager, but do not remove driver. Then click "search for new hardware".
Windows will automatically re-instll the driver and can sometimes clear problems of this sort even after a reboot.

If that fails:

go to the terminal and type:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

failing that.

Try right clicking on wifi card in hardware manager and rollback driver. reboot and see.

-OR-

If it has never worked:
Go onto the manufacturer's website, type in your model number on the support page and download the right driver.

-OR-

If all that fails it could be a HW fault. Unlikely mind if windows is saying it is working, but you never know, giving it a wiggle may help. (If not in warranty you could always take the back off the laptop and just check the network card is sitting firm and that the antenae connectors have not popped off. (it is easy to spot, look for 2 black and white wires with gold round press clips connected to what looks like an oversized DIMM... that is your wifi)

PS you could also try a few linux live CDs like Ubuntu / Fedora etc. if they can get the wifi working then you know it is a windows problem.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2013) [#14]
I would remove the IP you assigned and just let the NIC pick up one from the router, 99% of domestic routers use DHCP which assigns TCP/IP settings automatically.

Darkheart