Recommended Android input?

Community Forums/General Help/Recommended Android input?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
I just got a Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1.2 (Jellybean) - brilliant phone and I love it, on the whole. But I have a couple of problems.

First, the predictive text tries to be a smart-ass. If I type in a couple of letters, it automatically fills in some long word that starts with those two letters (which is a nuisance when I want to type "in" or "it" or something. There seems to be no way to stop it from doing this.

Second, it has copy/paste, but it won't let me paste anything anywhere other than at the very start of the document/reply box/whatever. Spent 20 minutes trying to post something here this morning before I swore at it and gave up.

So, are there any other keyboards/input methods available that you'd recommend which might give me a little more control over what I write?

Oh and thanks Galaxy! Thanks for waking me up at 5 this bloody morning with a notification that I haven't set up Dropbox yet. No really, thanks for that. Phone to silent in future.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2013) [#2]
I find predictive text to be rather dubious myself, how many words other than Wednesday start with wedn yet it [iPhone] only auto corrects my lowercase w to W after I have typed the whole damn word yet Tuesday is almost instant.

as for the paste thing, is there not a sort of hold and scan magnifying glass type thing like on the iffy?

big10p(Posted 2013) [#3]
menu->settings->language & keyboard

From there you should be able to select whichever keyboard you're using then access the settings for it which should include something like 'Intelligent Input'.

Not sure about the paste thing. My keyboard (TouchPal) has an icon on it to quickly access cursor movement, cut, copy, paste, etc.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
Nothing about "intelligent input" on mine. I did find that there's an option to "learn" from what I type on facebook etc. So I've turned that off.

As for the input thing - yeah, wherever I move the text caret to, it never ever seems to paste there - always at the top! I'll have to play with it some more and see if I can't work out WTF its game is.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#5]
As for the input thing - yeah, wherever I move the text caret to, it never ever seems to paste there - always at the top! I'll have to play with it some more and see if I can't work out WTF its game is.

Touch and hold the text field where you want to paste the text, then touch Paste. Does that work?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#6]
Nope! Just plops it at the start!

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#7]
@GfK:
GO Keyboard (free)
Swiftkey Keyboard
both keyboards feature autocompletion, spelling, grammer, and punctuation.

Last edited 2013

Derron(Posted 2013) [#8]
Oh yes please install another "GO XYZ" ... megabytes of storage used... and if you remove the go launcher ex all other tools "fail" back to preview mode...

TouchPal, Programmers KeyBoard...

Just disable autocorrect and suggestions - you will end up like disabling old T9 but yes... I fully understand your struggles with words - especially when writing dialectic words like "nene" ("No No!" in dialectic german) which gets "neue" ("new") or other things... they even correct you when entering urls ...

bye
Ron

LineOf7s(Posted 2013) [#9]
Swiftkey3 FTW. Worth every cent/penny/rupee. I miss it when I type on a computer.

Chalky(Posted 2013) [#10]
@Gfk - might not solve all your problems, but my S3 updated its firmware this week, and it looks like autocomplete has now been completely removed from Samsung Keyboard...

GfK(Posted 2013) [#11]
Been having a look at some of these keyboards and not really "wowed" by any.

Doesn't seem to want to update OTA so I'm trying it via Kies and sure enough, there's an update. Thanks for the heads up.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#12]
Seems to be pasting properly now!

andy_mc(Posted 2013) [#13]
I use swype. Never have any problems wiht it, and it's easy to add words to the dictionary

therevills(Posted 2013) [#14]
One of my pet hates with Android is when I am using Dolphin Browser and I am typing a post in a forum, but I can not see what I am typing since the keyboard is in the way and Android doesn't move the page upwards... so annoying!!!

GfK(Posted 2013) [#15]
My p500 used to do that as well. Never seen the same problem on any other device.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#16]
I'm getting it on my Nexus7... :(

GfK(Posted 2013) [#17]
Presumably that's running a 'modern' version of Android?? It makes you wonder how they can *not* notice things like that!

therevills(Posted 2013) [#18]
Yep... 4.1.2

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#19]
For copy paste you should be able to hold down where you need it and you will get a caret control which you move to the place you want, then take your finger up and then long press straight afterwards in the same place, depending on the android version you should see paste pop up either as a finger menu or at the top of the screen.

I use the slideit keyboard on my note, its quite good.

Last edited 2013