Brightness, Contrast and temperature display.

Community Forums/General Help/Brightness, Contrast and temperature display.

Yue(Posted 2012) [#1]
In these days of testing my project take USB stick and went to an internet room to try pawn, the surprise was that it looked like on my monitor and then I realized that what I see here at home against my computer was probably what many were not looking.

So a little research, you need help to calibrate my screen with respect to brightness, contrast and temperature, ie a setting I need to work properly and that everyone PERCIVA same thing I see here.

For example the aplciar Dot3D in my project I looked very dark, but did not use it in other computers with the correct settings if agradabel saw.

Contranste: 1 to 100
Brightness: 1 to 100
Color temperature: 0 to 9300 K

What are the correct values ​​to work, for example one of the problems is that when I print something on paper, the colors are not the same and it is because my screen is misconfigured.

big10p(Posted 2012) [#2]
There aren't any definitive settings. It'll be different for all makes/models of monitor.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#3]
Screen configuration is "subjective". So it depends on the users eyes, the light (ergo daytime).

The only thing you could provide: ingame adjustments. So you enable the users to see your light gray gradients instead of only white - or dark titangray-areas instead of black.

But you cannot guarantee your game looking the same on all displays (even if it is the same model like an ipad or so).

bye
Ron

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
Calibrate your monitor properly (google it), then work to that.

If somebody else has a badly calibrated monitor - tough, really.

Edit: http://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-Your-Monitor

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#5]
Brightness/contrast is greatly dependend on the monitor and somewhat dependend on video card.

Depending on what version of Windows you have: Windows 7 has a built-in display color calibration tool, dccw.exe
Set your screen brightness high, start the program, and follow the prompts.

There are also hardware devices that can perform a true calibration - it's a device you can attach to your display, and it will look at the actual screen, and make necessary adjustments. Not real cheap, of course.

(Personally I find my 'properly calibrated' screen uncomfortable to look at for long periods of time, the bright whites can hurt my eyes after a while. I set up several different display profiles in my ATI videocard drivers -- one properly calibrated so I can make sure things really do look good, and three alternate profiles with lower gamma settings that are a lot easier on the eyes (but far to dark for some things. If I can't see enough detail in the dark parts, I can hit a keyboard shortcut to switch to a brighter profile)