Android phone ignoring app installation location

Community Forums/General Help/Android phone ignoring app installation location

big10p(Posted 2012) [#1]
I have a problem with my Android phone and haven't had any luck on an Android forum, so I thought I'd take a punt here. :P

I have a locked/non-rooted Alcatel OT-983, running Android v2.3.7

I changed the app installation location on my phone to the SD card with 'pm setInstallLocation 2' in the ADB shell. This worked great. Now I want to set it back so I did a 'pm setInstallLocation 0' but my phone seems to be ignoring the setting and is still installing everything to SD. I have confirmed the install location has been set correctly by doing 'pm getInstallLocation'.

Any ideas what I can do to remedy this?

I'm new to Android/linux so any help would be appreciated. I'm just hoping I don't have to do a factory reset. :/

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
setInstallLocation 0 will set it to automatic. To force internal memory try setInstallLocation 1.

Otherwise, internal memory full?

big10p(Posted 2012) [#3]
I've setInstallLocation to 0 and 1 but it just gets ignored - everything is still installed on SD.

Memory is quite tight on my phone (only comes with 160MB) but I still have ~60MB free and even tiny widgets are getting installed to SD.

It's looking like a factory reset is on the cards, I suppose...

big10p(Posted 2012) [#4]
OK, done a factory reset and wiped the SD card and the problem still persists. Infact, things have gotten worse. I now can't set default applications.

Less than a week with Android and I'm seriously unimpressed...

GfK(Posted 2012) [#5]
Welcome to the wonderful world of Android. :/

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#6]
Disable the option to install on SD in the phone config? Maybe that will force things to be installed in the phone...

big10p(Posted 2012) [#7]
Disable the option to install on SD in the phone config?
I don't seem to have that setting.

I did install an app this morning that correctly installed to internal memory (because it has a widget), but some others are insisting they install on SD. Not really sure what the heck is going on.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#8]
If an app has the 'prefer external' permission set then it is likely headed for the sd card. (However if you go into settings/applications click on an app and you can move it between the phone and the SD card. (although some apps cannot be moved to SD card because of security (or the developer has not included the permission request to do so in the applications manifest.

Last edited 2012

big10p(Posted 2012) [#9]
Yeah, I do want as many apps as possible to install on SD, as my internal mem is very limited on my phone. But, as you say, some apps need to be installed on internal mem, such as those with a widget.

One particular widget app I install always goes to SD, though. Presumably the dev has set it to install to internal mem, as widgets don't work from SD, as I understand it. As such, the widget doesn't appear on the widget list, even after I manually move it to internal memory.

What with this issue and not being able to set default apps, I guess the system has got it's knickers in a twist, somehow, and I have no idea how to remedy things. A factory reset and SD wipe didn't fix it. I don't know what else I can do! :/

TaskMaster(Posted 2012) [#10]
Remove the SD card, install the broken app, then put the SD card back in. It can't install to the SD card if there isn't one.

big10p(Posted 2012) [#11]
I already tried installing it with the SD unmounted and it does get installed to the internal mem but still doesn't show up on the widget menu.