recommend me a drive.

Community Forums/General Help/recommend me a drive.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Can you recommend me a fairly good PATA (2.5") solid-state drive with at least 120GB of disk space? Help a fella out by throwing em some bargains! >:D

Yan(Posted 2012) [#2]
Don't do it, you'll regret it, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
?

Andy_A(Posted 2012) [#4]
If you're in the US then you might want to start looking here:

http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/hard_removable_drives/ssd_128gb

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#5]
I don't think I've ever seen a PATA SSD -- not sure if they even make them, pretty much all of them are SATA these days.

If nothing else, you're going to see very little speed difference: depending on the cabling/controller used, PATA can be either 66, 100 or 133MB/sec.

Even modern spinning platter harddrives are often faster than 133MB/sec, meaning that there would be very little benefit in using SSD over PATA.

(For comparison: I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm spinning platter (SATA) disk, that benchmarks at 175MB/sec. My 240GB SSD boot drive clocks in at 585MB/sec, but you are NEVER going to get more than 100/133 over PATA in even the best case scenarios -- and likely less than that in the real world thanks to the shared bus.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
What I need is a 44pin PATA drive (maybe not SSD, idk). I have used the majority of my latitude's hard drive after a clean installation of Ubuntu and only have 9GB left on my disk. LOL!

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#7]
there's not many of those around anymore, since pretty much all computers in the past 7 years or so have been SATA.

Because of that, any PATA drive is going to be fairly small, and relatively expensive.

That said, here's a few of them:

http://goo.gl/x2EQy

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#8]
You can get a converter cable or adapter and use a SATA drive.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
EDIT: nvm

Last edited 2012

therevills(Posted 2012) [#10]
I've recently got a Samsung SSD 830 256GB... best PC upgrade in years!!

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#11]
You can get a converter cable or adapter and use a SATA drive.

Most laptops don't have space in the HDD bay for any additional converter dongles.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#12]
Hi.

I found a solution to my problem. I already have a previously used SATA drive and found a really good deal on a second caddy here. Thank you, everyone for your suggestions and all of that valued information. :)

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#13]
I'm pretty sure that that caddy will only work if you already have an onboad SATA drive controller on your motherboard, which is unlikely if it came shipped with a PATA hard drive. :-?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#14]
Actually, it is working perfectly. Like a charm actually. +290GB to my dino! :P