Simulating Ecosystem of Corporations?

Community Forums/General Help/Simulating Ecosystem of Corporations?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#1]
Does anyone have any thoughts about simulating the supply and assembly chains of a number of corporations as they go through their daily grind? Buying raw materials of various sorts, responding to demand for the product by manufacturing, maintaining a stock of the product and the various raw materials, keeping track of available cash reserves?

This sounds like a completely insane idea but I think it's doable. Eve Online does this for goods that are created by in-game corporations (though that may no longer be true...)

Ideas?

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#2]
Make a big fish and have it eat everything in sight that fits in it's gob... and get bigger! :D
(sorry, couldn't resist.... although if you want to go properly abstract, i think the fish's internal organs would sum it up perfectly)

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#3]
For determining flow and function of complex systems like that I personally pick one extreme and work to the other. Doesn't really matter if you start with the raw material or the end product except one may be easier or harder depending on how you're thinking about it, what specifically you're interested in, i.e. are you interested in the costs associated with each step, the man power, the ratio of costs to man power, returns on long term investements in infrastructure, etc.

Matty(Posted 2012) [#4]
Nothing difficult about what you've suggested....depending on your assumptions....

What you assume in your initial model will determine how complex it needs to be...and that's up to you.

A bit of old first year chemical engineering...

Transfer In - Transfer Out + Generation - Disappearance = Accumulation...

Last edited 2012

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#5]
In the system as it stands, companies have a single product, which has associated precursor materials which need to be procured. They maintain stockpiles of raw materials. In response to demand, they manufacture products, using up raw materials, and then sell or stockpile products. I would like to have them maintain a list of products that they manufacture, and have each product have a list of precursors associated with it. I would also like to have them look for profitable products that would use as much of their existing assembly line as possible, or possibly reverse engineer existing products to produce clones, which might be inferior or use cheaper materials, etc etc. it's interesting how similar this is to various chemical processes, not just the chem engineering process but the process of catalysis, etc.

Last edited 2012