Looking for server hosting service

Community Forums/General Help/Looking for server hosting service

RifRaf(Posted 2012) [#1]
I cannot host my Tiny Tanks Online server here at my place, my new location only offers 1.5mb connection and with the entire family sharing the bandwidth.. just cant happen.

Im searching for a hosting service that can let me run the BlitzPlus server on it, im not sure if such a service exists. I would have to be able to launch the server, and at least end the execution and restart it when I wanted to.

any ideas ?

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#2]
Unfortunately, you're not going to find anything realyl cheap.

If you want to run your own (non-approved) executables, you're looking at renting a (virtual) dedicated server or cloud service, which is definitely more expensive than 'normal' shared website hosting.

Htbaa(Posted 2012) [#3]
You could rent a Rackspace Cloud Server with Windows Server, gonna cost you though.

RifRaf(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks,

Cant afford it for now I guess.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#5]
Sounds like you need something like Amazon cloud. You get a dedicated v-server.

Does it -have- to be windows? (because you will save a lot if it doesn't) you might want to try and see if that bplus server thing will run under wine. It should if there is no directX crap involved. Although you may have issues finding a host that allows windows stuff to run.

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#6]
Another option is co-location, where you can park a computer/server of your own in an ISPs server room, and just rent the space/bandwidth.

Shagwana(Posted 2012) [#7]
May I recommend Amazon EC2 for your needs.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#8]
If you're using a cloud service, keep in mind that they tend to charge based on CPU usage. With that in mind, make sure that you put a 'wait 1' statement (or similar) in your main loop of your program to tell it to back off for a moment, otherwise your program will continuously take up 100% of the CPU power and could unnecessarily increase your bills.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#9]
I co-rent some hosting on here, but as the name suggests it's Linux-only:

http://www.linode.com/

Really good support docs and for my one query they were very responsive. Cheapest option I could find that lets you run your own binaries, anyway, and they have a great reputation.

Not sure if BlitzPlus stuff runs under Wine or not (I'm assuming the server isn't graphical), but I've had Linux-native BlitzMax command-line apps running and interacting over the network, so if it would port easy enough...

You do need to be reasonably comfortable with the Linux command line and be prepared to read through their (excellent) tutorials, which cover almost everything I ran into.

RifRaf(Posted 2012) [#10]
Thanks guys, ill take a look at these options.