Hotmail - how to print

Community Forums/General Help/Hotmail - how to print

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#1]
I still have an old MS Hotmail account from years ago, when it was originally MSN email. It is my contact to various online vendors and I've been too lazy to update to something better.

Here's the problem. I need to return an online purchase. I got an email with the RMA, which includes images which are the barcodes for shipping. I need to print this.

When I try to print the email I get not just the email but all the surrounding stuff on screen; menu items at the top, a list of folders on the left etc.

I've tried printing to an xps file, but that has the same result. I tried forwarding to my gmail, thinking I could print from there. But that inexplicably loses the images. I tried printing a screen shot, but with antialiasing I'm not sure the results are of sufficient quality for the barcodes to be scanned.

Does anybody know a solution to this mess? I'm sure this worked well in the past. But I don't remember trying print anything in Hotmail since I got my Windows 7 PC last year. So it may never have worked on this computer.

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#2]
Highlight the text/images/whatever with the mouse, File -> Print, and choose 'print selection' instead of the default 'All pages'.

That will ignore everything not highlighted.

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hi. I don't think you need to highlight and copy-paste.
Hotmail has an option to print just the e-mail content.

Look for this icon (it's on the toolbar more to the top):

Press the little printer button. It opens a new window with just the e-mail content (including images and formatting) and queues the printer dialog.
Since it's an automated process it should be more reliable - good going for MS there.

Last edited 2012

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks guys! I have now printed everything properly, but don't know exactly what happened.

I first selected the relevant section, looked for the Print option and found the little printer icon. I could swear that did not exist earlier. In any case it works now and all is right with the world.

What I was doing before was right-clicking on an email and selecting Print from the menu.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#5]
When you right-click on an email, the popup that appears is generated by the browser, not the website itself. It will always print everything loaded, not just the potentially relevant parts.

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#6]
All else fails, PRINT SCREEN and paste it into an image editor or word, and print that.