Laptop recommendation

Community Forums/General Help/Laptop recommendation

col(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hiya all,

I have a maximum budget of £1000, and I'm looking to buy a new laptop. I'll be using it mainly for dev work, so my main interest is for it to have a decent gpu and cpu.

I currently have a Sony Vaio VGN-FW31M which is a quality laptop, so I was looking at the newer E series with a 17.3 inch screen, in black. I understand though that this may not be the best buy in terms of power/quality for money ( the vaio isn't the most powerful by a long shot ).

So I'm asking you guys, the more seasoned buyers among you, can anyone recommend a new ( from the store ) good quality, powerful laptop for a maximum of £1000? I just don't want to buy something that's underpowered for the money if there are better, or just as good as, alternatives.

Thanks!

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
I can't speak for the most recent models, and therefore couldn't give a specific recommendation, but I have had very good experiences with the Toshiba Qosmio family.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#3]
My only advice is to get the biggest, highest resolution screen you can afford, otherwse you'll struggle with development no matter what GPU you've got.

col(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks guys,

I looked at the new Qosmio and it looks awesome, but sadly out of my price range. I'm sure I could shop about around for a cheaper deal but I want a new one from a local store, just in case there's a problem. I'm leaning towards the Vaio.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#5]
I probably wouldn't buy from PC World right now. Comet are going into administration, and I'd be very surprised if PC World doesn't go the same way in the next twelve months. They're both Dixon Group and both operate the same flawed, overpriced business model.

col(Posted 2012) [#6]
I heard that on the radio today too. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look for a little local pc store rather than a chain group.

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#7]
I strongly recommend http://www.cclonline.com - they don't have a massive choice of laptops but I've rarely seen them beaten on price.

Oh and by the way, Comet has just gone into administration but the stores will remain open for now, apparently. Their website is "currently unavailable", though.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#8]
@GFK i dunno, with commet going tits up the shares for the dixons group have soared because the investors see it as a major competitive removal.

If i had a grand i would probably buy an Acer, Asus, Lenovo or Sony. (I would also consider HP and Dell too, many hate them but I reckon that is because they are the biggest along with Lenovo. Personally I have always been fairly satisfied with them all and i have had at -least- 3 from each over the years).

Stay away from packard-bell & apple though!! (although for a grand with apple you will get a half eaten core at best)

In my experience the "decent" makes are all pretty much the same. My advice is to go for "specs for bucks" and look around for a good price. Don't buy immediately, take your smartphone with you and look up what you are buying.. does it do XYZ?, are there any reported problems?, how well can it run Linux? (one that is important to me), what are the ratings?, does it have an ATI or NVidia? (also important to me), what sockets has it got?, is it comfortable to use?........
......and least important to me does it look good.

Last edited 2012

Makis(Posted 2012) [#9]
Go for Samsung 700Z5C-S01.

col(Posted 2012) [#10]
I plumped for an Asus N56VZ, Intel i7 3610qm, geforce 650m 1920x1080, 1tb hd with a bluray combo. Comes with Win8 and I have some change to boot. :P

Over the next few days, I'll have a play with it. I'll post in the respective threads with my experiences :-) Although my very first impression is nothing exciting, but we'll see....

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#11]
cool.

@makis yeah i forhot about samsung, they too have got a lot better in the last 2-3 years.

Last edited 2012