Dead Pixels, plague or boogeyman?

Community Forums/General Help/Dead Pixels, plague or boogeyman?

ima747(Posted 2012) [#1]
I ordered some new monitors a week ago (just shipped last night... damn bargain suppliers and my lust for a good deal!) and my biggest concern with the new screens is that I'll have some dead pixels and have to RMA them, and that's a hassle and I'm lazy, blah blah blah. But it got me thinking. I've had countless LCD displays over the years, game consoles, phones, tablets, laptops, monitors, TVs, digital picture frames, etc. I've only ever had 1 or 2 dead pixels across all of that. Of all the people I've ever setup systems for I've only ever seen 2 more screens with dead pixels. None of my friends or relatives has ever had a dead pixel... Am I living in a fantasy world where dead pixels are like dead unicorns (pretty in their own way, but still a mess to clean up), or have I just been EXTREMELY lucky?

Thoughts, experiences, scientific data?

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#2]
I think dead pixels are less common than they used to be.

The only one I've had was on my first LCD. It had one stuck pixel, which was always on and blue. Somebody on these forums mentioned fixing one of these by tapping on it. I tried that and the pixel was immediately unstuck.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#3]
I've only had two dead pixels, ever.

First was on a 17" 4:3 HP TFT monitor some years back. The second was on my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge that I bought about six months ago. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as is the case), the screen cable developed a fault and it ended up getting swapped out anyway.

In both cases they were right on the edge of the screen so never really caused any problem.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#4]
They are definitely less common now than they used to be.

My first LCD screen had two -stuck- pixels, which is *WAY* more annoying than a dead one. Always have a bright red glowing dot in the center of the screen, which is very distracting, especially if you're watching a movie with dark scenes. From time to time a green one would pop up close by, but it would go away for a while after flicking it. Nothing would make the red one go away.

At the office, I've seen maybe two screen with dead pixels, out of 300+. It's more common for the entire backlight itself to give out.

As time progressed, so have the warranties. Some manufacturers no give a zero dead pixel warranty, although most of them still consider 1-6 dead pixels to be 'normal', and ineligible for exchange/return. In those cases, buying the screen from a department store with liberal return policy may be a smarter move than saving a few bucks and ordering online.

A couple of years back, some manufactueres small print would say that 2-3 *dozen* pixels was considered 'normal' and not grounds for exchange. That number has definitely come down since production standards improved.

Something else to remember: There really aren't that many different manufacturing plants for display panels in the world. This is one of those areas where it can pay off to stay with the big name brands like Samsung, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, etc, because a lot of the panels that may not pass their initial quality control could still be picked up for next to nothing by some of the no-name low-end cheap LCD companies. Going with those can greatly increase the risk of problematic panels.

Amon(Posted 2012) [#5]
Same as rest! My first LCD developed a dead pixel and I tried the tap/flick technique which resulted in further dead pixels. About 5 mins later some pixels became unstuck but others appeared near them so I decided to let the monitor die and buy a new one.

I'm currently using a HP 2311x 23inch. The quality compared to my old one is incredible. Being a LED screen also and Full HD the image is crystal clear and vibrant.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#6]
Years ago my ipod classic was in my pocket and I had to side step rather suddenly and clonked it against a metal bollard resulting in a nice cluster of pixels, but about a month later they had all gone, I was expecting them to be there forever and a day.

ima747(Posted 2012) [#7]
Good info. General consensus seems to be that dead pixels are pretty darn rare. On that subject 3 brand new displays up and running 7680x1440 shinny new pixels and nothing looks dead or stuck so continues to be extra rare in my experience.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#8]
Being a LED screen also and Full HD the image is crystal clear and vibrant.

the "full HD" gimmick is annoying -- thanks to HD TV thing it's getting harder and harder to find good 1920x1200 screens, since the vast majority of panels now are 1920x1080. Those extras 180 pixels of vertical space make a huge difference!

ima747(Posted 2012) [#9]
For gaming 1080p screens are fine IMO, plenty of resolution for full screen motion and graphics cards can easily handle them, for real work though every single pixel matters IMO. further I prefer 16:10 to 16:9 for work as well, height makes a big difference when working with code, or even graphics where almost any program will have multiple full width bars taking up precious vertical space.