concern with my new monitor

Community Forums/General Help/concern with my new monitor

Yue(Posted 2012) [#1]
my new monitor, I mean the computer screen, I have been a lifetime with one 11-inch, now this is 27 inches, not new, only used but for me is like a new one is brand Compac, however my question is this monster consumes more energy than a 11 inch.

It is a compact of these long like TVs that are not lcs.

Greetings.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#2]
That is a good question. In most cases it's the bigger the screen, the bigger the consumption. My 40 inch LCD Tv uses a lot more than my 23 inch screen. To be sure, check the label on the back that should inform about consumption.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#3]
It depends on the technology used:

CRT uses a ton of power, as do plasma screens
LCD uses less
LED uses a lot less

Within the same class larger normally uses more energy -- a 27" LED will use more than a 24" LED. But a 27" LED will use less power than an 11" CRT, and possibly the same as an 11" LCD.

It's hard to say for sure though, unless you know the exact models and could look up the energy efficiency online.

(LCD and LED look pretty much the same, but the difference is the technology used for the backlight: LCD used a fluorescent panel, while an 'LED display' uses LED's to illuminate the screen. It still uses LCD technology to produce the actual image)

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
CRT uses a ton of power, as do plasma screens

I don't really agree with that. I have a 37" Panasonic Viera plasma which is connected to the socket via one of those energy-saver thingies which switches everything off fully if it's left on standby.

Sometimes the energy-saver thinks the TV has been put on standby and shuts down, most notably during dark-ish scenes. Bit of a mare trying to watch horror movies cos it keeps switching off every 30 seconds. I thought something was faulty at first but tried a different energy-saver and same thing happens. Also I have an electricity usage monitor and the TV doesn't even register 1p per hour usage, whereas if I turn the microwave on the usage will jump up from 2p/hour ('house idle', with just the fridge and other 24/7 stuff on) to 40p/hour.

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#5]
My 25" LED monitor has a claimed maximum of 40W power consumption.

Many years ago I had a 17" CRT that ( I think ) drew 95W.

What I mainly remember is how heavy it was. It probably weighed four times as much as the monitor I have now, even though the new screen has about two and a half times as much surface area.

Last edited 2012

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#6]
-Plasmas use a lot of power, as do CRTs. I used to help build prototype plasmas and they use a -LOT- of power. They also get very hot and emit some horrible EMI too. They have likely got better (we are talking at least 11-12 years ago when we were on them) but i cannot imagine for a second they can match the power consumption of the below. Although are (or at least were) a lot cheaper per square inch..... at least to purchase the unit anyway.

-TFT/LCD is much better than above power wise.

-LED/OLED are the most efficient to run by far, give a better picture quality than all of the above and are getting cheaper by the day. In sweden a 19" flatscreen TV strangely costs more or less the same as a 32".

So depending on age and technology your 11 inch could use more than a 32 inch.... or not.

Last edited 2012

Yue(Posted 2012) [#7]
ok, thanks i'm use CRT.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#8]
If they are both CRT then the bigger one will likely use more.

Last edited 2012