Welp... Now what?

Community Forums/General Help/Welp... Now what?

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#1]
So today, I finally heard back from Big Fish Games. Crystal Crash was well-received, apparently, but is a bit too far outside their target audience for them to accept it. I was a bit surprised by that since Crystal Crash is kind of a brick-breaker/Peggle hybrid, both of which are hosted by BFG, but I was prepared for it as a possibility even from the start.

So, rather than let CC go to waste: any ideas? Steam Greenlight is a possibility, though I'd have to save up to reach the $100 entry fee (doable nevertheless). Do any of you know of any other options, though, other than Greenlight or self-promotion?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
iWin? Oberon? Gamehouse? Big Fish Games might be the biggest publisher, but there are others. Dozens, in fact.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
is a bit too far outside their target audience for them to accept it.

welcome to the club! :)

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks Gfk. I figured that'd be the case, but I honestly didn't even know what to search for on Google without getting tons of "play online flash games free!" sites. Will investigate those right away.

matibee(Posted 2012) [#5]
welcome to the club! :)

Captain Wicker you really need to understand the difference between a legitimate "beyond our target audience" reply and a "this game is below our QA level for us to consider" reply.

When approving software it's hard to tell the developer "you have no chance of getting this s*** on our portal", even if that's the truth. Therefore they default to the lowest possible rejection status... "lack of sandboxing support", "beyond our target audience". It's their way of being polite. But, just like a misguided parent telling their child they can sing, it's misleading and you could argue, a little unfair, but they don't have time to tell you how to develop your game.

YOU = GAME DEVELOPER
THEM = GAME PUBLISHER

If you can't do your bit, then you're really not worth their time.

One simple acid test is this...

1) download a few titles off their site

2) evaluate those titles for:
a] Stability/Compatibility (does it run on all platforms they claim to support without failing under hibernation, screen-saver modes or different player accounts whilst adhering to all current application standards [internal volume controls, player accounts, reward systems, online leader boards, hardware compatibility, etc, etc]?)
b] Gameplay (can a player play this game in many different ways?, will he be rewarded along the path of learning to mastery?, is there a novel hook to keep him coming back to *THIS* game rather than some other developers?)
c] Art (does it match or exceed current acceptable levels of professionalism?)
d] Audio (are the songs and sound affects of a high quality and fitting to the playing experience?)
e] Polish (does every button action click or zing? are there fancy loading screens and subtle nuances that players will be enjoying for many replays? does every action have a glitzy response? [or do any of them fail by using a plain text message box, or worse, no response at all]? )

3) Compare *YOUR* title to the titles above. If it falls short in *ANY* category (and that list is just the beginning) don't even consider submitting it. Either improve it or let it die.

This is extremely important when dealing with publishers like BFG. If you're just dumping crap on iTunes or google Playstore only 2[a] applies, but then you're up against every other piece of crap that only fits the bare minimum requirements.

Adam - good luck finding a home for your game :) and if there's anything we can do let us know.