How to buy a replacement laptop speaker?

Community Forums/General Help/How to buy a replacement laptop speaker?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Where should I go to buy a good replacement speaker for a laptop? SRS Premium is the speaker brand. How can I tell if I am getting a good deal?

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#2]
Given that you were raving on the quality of earphones/earbuds from the dollar store in another thread, I would suggest just going to Walmart and buying whatever is cheapest as quality doesn't seem to be a huge concern to you.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#3]
If you're on about internal speakers, either get one identical to the broken one, or get good at soldering.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#4]
get good at soldering.

Sorry, I laughed on about that one. lol
my apologies! :D
quality doesn't seem to be a huge concern to you.

Nah, As long as I can get things done, quality doesn't mean much.
How about this: http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=10302
Is this a good buy?

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#5]
CWS: The price seems fair, IMHO. I would not think twice about paying that for it. However, seriously consider getting some USB powered external speakers for your Laptop. WalMart sells some nice little ones that are cheap, and sound decent.

I am not trying to be mean when I say this, but given some of your posts with relatively simple things like reinstalling XP, etc. I would hate to see you accidentally mess up your laptop when trying to replace the speakers.

To be frank, even though that is something I am capable of doing, it is not something I would even deal with anymore, too much of a hassle. I would personally just buy external speakers if my internal ones went kaput. My time is too valuable to mess around with stuff like this.

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#6]
Anything that involves opening the laptop case should probably be left to a professional repair person. They may also be able to get the parts cheaper than you can due to trade discounts. If the laptop is still under warranty then you should send it to the manufacturer or retailer for repair.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#7]
What is a good replacement speaker?

One that actually fits. And since there is no 'standard' for laptop speakers, you pretty much are going to have to find an identical part number as the one you currently have to ensure it is compatible and fits.
(Different sizes, shapes, voltages, connectors, cable length, etc... Lots of things can keep it from fitting/working.

Also know that it's /really/ easy to crack the plastic bezel of many laptop models when attempting to open them, since they tend to snap in place.

Last but not least: Did you double-check your volume levels, selected default output adapter, and device drivers, to make sure that it's not actually a configuration issue rather than a hardware problem?

(Oh -- and if it IS a hardware problem, it may not necessarily be the speaker itself. It can just as easily be the integrated sound adapter on the motherboard that fried itself, in which case new speakers may not make a difference)

Given that you were raving on the quality of earphones/earbuds from the dollar store in another thread, I would suggest just going to Walmart and buying whatever is cheapest as quality doesn't seem to be a huge concern to you.

Wouldn't it be ironic if crappy cheapo headphones caused the onboard sound adapter to short out?