Front USB panel?

Community Forums/General Help/Front USB panel?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#1]
I have a 3.5"-mounted panel on my case with a couple of USB ports but they are faulty.

I'm after a front panel to fit in a 3.5 bay with the following as a minimum:
2 x USB2.0
1 x IEEE1394

Nice to have:
SDHC card reader

I could tolerate a 5.25 version but i do NOT want one of those tacky things with fan speed controls and blue LCD dsplay on it, which seems to pretty much rule out everything.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
Never mind, found an Akasa one that does what i need.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#3]
Just one word of warning: There are two different pin layouts in use by motherboard on-board USB headers, and they are NOT interchangable.

Each header supports two USB ports, and has two rows of pins. On some motherports the two rows are identical, and on some motherboards the second row is flipped backwards.

Before plugging in the cable, MAKE SURE that the wiring order of the hub matches that of your motherboard, or you risk frying the port on the motherboard. (Found that one out the hard way myself a few years ago, as soon as I plugged in a mouse to the USB port, my motherboard literally started smoking and one of the USB controllers shorted itself out)

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
Never come across that in over ten years of building PCs but if proves to be the case I'll just rewire the connector. No real biggie. Thx for the heads-up tho.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#5]
Just did some more digging, and it appears that Gigabyte is the odd one out here - they apparently don't follow intel's standard: http://www.directron.com/installusb.html
According to that page, 90% of motherboards use the intel standard, 10% the gigabyte one.

(The motherboard that I zapped was indeed a gigabyte model)

GfK(Posted 2012) [#6]
Just checked the manual as mine is a Gigabyte board (GA-H61M-D2-B3). Both rows of pins are the same way around which is pretty much the same as any other motherboard I've ever seen.

See page 18 of the manual.