Reinstall XP on Latitude D510 Please Help Me

Community Forums/General Help/Reinstall XP on Latitude D510 Please Help Me

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
I wiped my hard drive clean trying to install Ubuntu from the alternate installation dvd. Ubuntu fails to install and takes hours to prepare the linux generic image. Is there any way that I can reinstall XP Pro back onto the machine after attempting to install ubuntu? This is a wifi laptop and I am not sure if XP properly supports wifi so it would be nice if someone could help me solve these problems even though I shown much respect in recent weeks. All is forgiven I presume. Here is what I have got:

1 Genuine Windows XP Professional cd.
1 Laptop with a 16GiB ssd hard disk, 1.40GHz and a rather nasty intel graphics processing unit.

From my experience in installing XP on other machines hasn't gone too good because XP fails to install since previous installations. Could I please get some help over here?

I have already reviewed the article linked below but is of no use to me as I cant boot from the linux cd because this machine doesn't support live cd distros.
http://www.tuxradar.com/answers/554

Last edited 2012

Derron(Posted 2012) [#2]
- insert disc.
- format partition (erase and create the windows ones).

if the steps above are not possible (bluescreen or restart during setup routine) your XP disc has to get SATA-drivers slipstreamed (google).

Wondered why ubuntu install is failing - error messages? tried netinstall iso?
(and after baseinstall just apt-get install xfce-desktop/kde-desktop/gnome-desktop)

bye
Ron

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Derron, I get a blue screen after installation and says that multiple dll files are missing after installation. I got two boxed xp homes and one 2000 pro. What should I do? Isn't the Raid/SATA drivers required to properly install xp?

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#4]
This sounds a bit like an odd one. You should be able to remove all partitions on the laptop through the Windows Setup. There you can remove all partitions, they should show up as something like "unknown filesystem". Create one or many partitions as normal and let the setup run. Unless the machine needs some special drivers for the SSD, this should work fine.

even though I shown much respect in recent weeks. All is forgiven I presume.

I would recommend to thoroughly inform yourself about the subject you're about to post something into - in general. That's my advise.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
Is there a way to install from usb? Cant i just copy the setup files from the dvd into a usb drive and install from there?
been reading on this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50282-34-tutorial-installing-home-professional-flash-drive

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#6]
it's possible to make an XP install USB stick, but you'll need windows on another machine and a lot of patience, and you're more likely to have install issues than from a CD. Google can get you a guide if you're determined. You're much more likely to have luck with a linux USB install since it's actually designed for it, rather than a hack job like XP.

Sounds like you may have drive issues, either the hard drive or the optical. Is the SSD native to the machine? Some SSD's need their own drivers. Some are not compatible with all drive controllers, could be a compatibility issue if it's aftermarket. The drive could also be failing (run a disk check on it). The optical drive could also be failing, if you have another drive you can try it's definitely worth a shot. Make sure you've removed all partitions and just let the windows installer make a new one for you from the empty space.

Your best bet assuming it's all original hardware is to get the recovery CD for the specific system. Dell's recovery CD's restore the system to out of the box condition, prepare all drive partitions, reinstall drivers and other stuff that they come with etc. You can order one from dell if you don't have it. They only work on the specific model they're intended for, so you need the recovery disc that matches your specific model number.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#7]
If...

...setup bluescreens while loading initial drivers (or at the part there you can add further drivers pressing an F-Key) it is mostly the raid/sata driver which is missing

...setup bluescreens while copying files it is mostly the ram which is in a bad state, or other hardware failures

...setup finishes and bluescreen occours after restart (booting windows, starting the desktop, ...) it is mostly a driver thingy or the hdd (readability of files, corrupted entries)

Derron, I get a blue screen after installation and says that multiple dll files are missing after installation

some hints? which dll files?
Right after installation or after install of drivers (graphics card, card reader, bluetooth, wlan, ...)?

Is the ssd hdd original or did one replace the notebooks disc? In the case of an replacement, the notebooks recovery cd may not work (as it could miss the sata/raid-drivers).
Like said: slipstream one of your xp setups with the intel generic sata/raid-drivers (there are alot tutorials around)

bye
Ron

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#8]
Is there a way to install from usb? Cant i just copy the setup files from the dvd into a usb drive and install from there?

With XP... that might be tricky. However if you have access to a Windows machine, you can try this tool:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Now I don't know if it will accept Windows XP images since it's designed for Windows 7 - but I have created USB sticks of Windows Server 2003 with it as well. You might wanna give it a go. Again, this is untested from my end with XP.

Simply copying the files will not work since you also need the bootloader to be written.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
Is XP even meant to be installed on an SSD disk? If not, can anyone recommend a 'good' and fairly affordable hard drive? Installation stops during once it gets to the main GUI part so I was thinking it could be maybe a hardware problem?

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#10]
XP will install on an SSD drive just fine, although performance may be a little lower than with Win7 because XP doesn't support TRIM.

The bigger problem is that most of the newer drives are SATA, and there is a good chance that you'll need the XP SATA drivers on a floppy disk when installing XP from scratch. (Unlike Vista/7, XP can't load extra drivers from USB or CD/DVD at install time)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#11]
Unlike Vista/7, XP can't load extra drivers from USB or CD/DVD at install time

XP doesn't support TRIM.

Would it be best to install vista then?

*(Posted 2012) [#12]
You installation fails because some laptops dont have pci this makes it fall over the way around it is get slipstream xp and make a cd with sp2 and the drivers for your laptop on then install from that this will put it all on in one go.

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#13]
I take it that you didn't create a system recovery disk for this laptop? Usually they hide this feature in the programs menu as it's cheaper for them than actually supplying a proper recovery disk.
Then the only way round it is to create a slipstream disk with one of the later service packs. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do this. One thing you will need is a valid XP key; there usually on the case but some manufactures now no longer do this because people realised all they needed to do to install an illegal copy on their machines was to nip down to a computer store and write it down.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#14]
I take it that you didn't create a system recovery disk for this laptop?

no :(
im thinking about taking it to a repair shop and seeing what they can do for me.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#15]
this machine doesn't support live cd distros.

Is this even possible? You realise that an OS installer is a Live OS, albeit an extremely limited one? If your computer had no support for a Live CD it would arguably have no support for booting off any removable device, ever. Live CDs have been around since 1992 or so, it's not some magical new technology.

You are aware that the Alternate Installer disc doesn't include the live desktop, right? That's one reason why you wouldn't be able to access it - it's not there.

Have you tried the default, graphical installer disc?
Have you tried verifying the checksum of your downloaded Linux discs to be sure that they aren't faulty (you should *always* do this for something as important as an OS)?
Have you tried other distros (e.g. everyone's favourite Mint; Arch; Debian) to see whether they install correctly?

Not that I want to dissuade you from using Windows XP if that's what you really want, but you're giving up on this a little easily.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#16]
Have you tried other distros (e.g. everyone's favourite Mint; Arch; Debian) to see whether they install correctly?

will not install bootloader. i have tried every distro right down to ubuntu 8.04 and it installs but then when booting up it says, unable to boot operating system. i assume this means that the bootloader had a problem.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#17]
will not install bootloader. i have tried every distro right down to ubuntu 8.04 and it installs but then when booting up it says, unable to boot operating system. i assume this means that the bootloader had a problem.

some computers will protect the bootloader by default, to prevent some virusses from screwing around with them. If that's the case on your machine, you may need to go into the BIOS and 'enable OS installation mode' or something similar

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#18]
I installed xp after removing one of the ram sticks that were installed and I got XP Pro reinstalled. the wifi device, speaker audio, and misc other devices are not working after the fresh install. What should I do now to get those devices working properly?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#19]
Is this legit? http://drp.su/download.htm
in this download is here: http://drp.su/drivers/notebooks/?v=dell&m=Latitude%20D510&id=2428&l=en
I wanted to make sure this was what is needed to finish setting up this machine. I am downloading this now but is this what I need?

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#20]
I installed xp after removing one of the ram sticks that were installed and I got XP Pro reinstalled. the wifi device, speaker audio, and misc other devices are not working after the fresh install. What should I do now to get those devices working properly?

go to the Dell support web site, and download the wifi, audio, etc. drivers. If you can't access the internet from the laptop, then use a different computer and put them on a thumbdrive.
Also, most Dell's are shipped with a driver CD that have all that stuff on them already.

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#21]
I wanted to make sure this was what is needed to finish setting up this machine. I am downloading this now but is this what I need?

Seriously?

I mean, SERIOUSLY?

you're actually downloading random binary executables from some no-name .su (=soviet union) website instead of checking out the manufacturers website at www.dell.com , where all the official drivers take less than 30 seconds to locate?

I mean, if it was the last option available then ---maybe---, but it absolultely blows my mind that you didn't just go to the dell website first.

Oh, and by the way, just to pre-empt tomorrow's posting: No, we have no idea how your computer managed to collect every piece of spyware on the internet in just a few hours time. Cleaning is pointless, reformat & reinstall.

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#22]
(Oh, and as a perfect example on WHY that download was a bad idea, I'll leave you with this nugget:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.su
In early 2012, the Swiss Security Blog abuse.ch[6] noted that many cybercriminals started to switch from the TLD .ru to .su due to increased enforcement on .ru.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#23]
I downloaded drivers from Dell.com and have the wifi, graphics processor, audio, and touchpad gestures working now. :)

Also installed Security Essentials from MS.com

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#24]
Now that this is working again, should consider installing linux to save space? I soon realized that I had almost taken up the entire hard disk just after installing Ms Office 2010. Would an Xubuntu installation make this any faster than it is now with XP?

Full PC specs:
Intel Celeron M @1.40GHz
0.99GB RAM
16GB Hard Disk
Mobile Intel 915GM graphics chipset

XP is very slow on this system although Blitz3D is pretty fast for this being a six year old machine! Is there a lighter distro best suited for this system? Also, does anyone know how to repair a laptop keyboard with a short in the shift key?

Additional details:
The maximum screen resolution is 1024x768
There is only one RAM stick installed on the system because one of them went bad and had to be removed.

Last edited 2012

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#25]
Why would you need Office 2010 on a 6 year old machine?

Older versions of Office would consume less space - and you could even just use Google Docs, which would take no space at all.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#26]
you could even just use Google Docs

I had uninstalled Office 2010 and then installed LibreOffice and now I am going to takt that back off now to save more space with Google Docs.
Thank You for the suggestion!

*(Posted 2012) [#27]
For that system I would do the following:
1) source another ram module to take it to 2Gb
2) try windows XP if its still slow even after 2Gb then goto 3
3) Install either Ubuntu 12.04 or Linux Mint

TBH I have a Asus eeepc with a 900Mhz Celeron M and a intel 945m graphics card which ran pig slow (took ten mins to get into windows) as soon as I put 2Gb ram in there XP actually was rather usable. However I might drop it back to linux though as thats much more useable than windows ever was.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#28]
source another ram module to take it to 2Gb

I plan on getting my hands on one of those late this afternoon.
Install either Ubuntu 12.04 or Linux Mint

I actually had ubuntu 12.04 installed some time ago and started to miss XP. With Mint, I would get these "kernel panics" all the time. I eventually found that it was caused by bad RAM and took out one of the two modules.
eeepc with a 900Mhz Celeron M and a intel 945m graphics

Eeeek!! I have seen worse. Three or four years ago, all we could afford was an old Gateway Win98 desktop machine that had a 500MHz CPU and a horrible intel GPU. I can't imagine trying to run Blitz on that thing. It would take about ten minutes to start a 3d game and even then it was very very laggy.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#29]

Just had a used ram stick put in the back of this old thing and is a lot less freezy now. I now have 3GB of RAM in all installed but sadly Windows XP 32 bit only recognizes 1.99GB.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#30]
Just had a used ram stick put in the back of this old thing and is a lot less freezy now. I now have 3GB of RAM in all installed but sadly Windows XP 32 bit only recognizes 1.99GB.

That's not an XP limitation -- it can typically allocate 3.25GB maximum.
However, the Latitude D510 itself will only support a maximum of 2GB RAM apparently, regardless of what OS you're running.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#31]
motherboard?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#32]
I just did a hard drive upgrade on it from that old toshiba that i got scammed on a few months back. Going from 15GB to 20GB is a pretty fair upgrade and didn't cost me a dime! knew that would come in handy. Now to sell the rest of those internal parts. ;)