Windows 7 BSOD

Community Forums/General Help/Windows 7 BSOD

GfK(Posted 2012) [#1]
Had this twice in the last two days with a STOP error 0x00000F4.

A bit of googling suggests my SSD (OCZ Agility 3, roughly a year old) may not be long for this world... however, an error check came back clear, no malware or anything and everything system-wide seems to be in really good shape. I found a recommendation that I check and update the firmware, so that's what I've done currently - as well as making urgent backups of the important stuff (most of it's done on a daily basis anyway).

Thoughts?

[edit] Should probably add there are no error logs stored after a reboot, which only adds weight to the fact that the SSD may be intermittently failing (the log file can't be written).

Last edited 2012

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
From my own research of SSDs is that there really are only one brand (controller) you should buy in the first place: IBM

If you buy any other brands you are asking for trouble...

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Your PC just got Microsofted! :P

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
Could you kindly do us all a favour and disappear? Your post is just more of the usual gobsh*tery we've all come to expect from you, and your stupid, childish opinions are about as welcome as a fart in a wetsuit.

Go away. Falling down a large hole optional.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#5]
Had a quick Google and found the firmware thing too. Other posts mention 'disappearing' SSDs (and subsequently no event logs) but that they were fixed via firmware update, so hopefully that'll be it...

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/205970-bsod-0x00000f4-3.html

GfK(Posted 2012) [#6]
Ha, that's the exact thread I found too!

TomToad(Posted 2012) [#7]
I started getting BSOD about a year ago. Turns out it was my system memory. I had to remove the memory and then reseat them to get the system working again. It wasn't enough just to press them down a bit, guess a little corrosion was on the contacts. Might want to try unplugging and plugging all the cables on your drive and see if that helps any.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#8]

Thanks for your brief, and pointless outburst of words that your brain has put together. Please just go to 4chan or something. And leave us already.

--

My machine was also blue-screening for no apparent reason, at completely different moments (non-predictable). The only thing I did was install a second hard drive, at which time I briefly removed one bar of RAM. I reseated that. I later reseated it again, to be sure. The only other thing I could think of, was that I modified some theme files in Windows (explorerframe.dll), which may have been the cause. I'm now running Linux Mint without issues, so I'm guessing it really was Windows' fault since I have not experienced any issues like that since.

Last edited 2012

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2012) [#9]
Most of the time these errors get reported it turns out to be a driver related issue, unless you have recently changed some hardware or updated a firmware which I'm assuming you haven't.

If you haven't updated any drivers recetnly check and see if Windows Update has or if Windows has silently replaced a driver with what it thinks is a "better" one.

It might also be worth snapping back to a previous system restore if you have one from a period before this started happening.

The only other thing I can think of is overheating but if your system has been running stable for sometime I wouldn't worry abou that.

Darkheart

*(Posted 2012) [#10]
I would check the hardware by letting the computer sit in the CMOS for a while if it crashes the CMOS (very rare but can happen) you have a hardware fault which could be heat related, if not then I would check the memory with a memory tester (some linux live CD distros have them) and that passes check the drivers.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#11]
Well, it's not fallen over a single time since updating the SSD's firmware, so, fingers crossed!

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#12]
Thoughts?
The same as always: I have yet to find a good reason to put faith & trust in SSDs as anything other than a temporary storage solution. Spend an hour or so on Google with the search terms "ssd reliability" or "ssd failure." You may be surprised.

EDIT: Aw puckernuts, five-day-old thread and I only just noticed. Woops. :x

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#13]
Well, it's still working. All my important stuff is backed up daily, so, meh!