Drum kits.....

Community Forums/General Help/Drum kits.....

GfK(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello.

Been fancying a drum kit for a while - not to do anything serious with, just to have a bash about on when I'm bored.

Cos of space limitations I'm looking at electronic kits - mainly because I presume it'll take up much the same space as a 'real' kit, but I'm assuming I can partially dismantle it for quick storage (i.e. remove any sticky-out bits and leave it where it stands). Also, I haven't played the drums in over 20 years so I figured I'd be less embarrassed with headphones on so nobody can hear me.

Specifically I'm looking at the Alesis DM5 or DM6 which both seem to be pretty good for the price. Anybody here use anything like this? Thoughts?

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#2]
Also, I haven't played the drums in over 20 years so I figured I'd be less embarrassed with headphones on so nobody can hear me.
Or kill you! :D

I could ask my friend who is in a metal band (he has a set of electro drums in his house)

Edit: he said words to the effect of "nothing wrong Alesis" and "pretty good".

Last edited 2012

Shambler(Posted 2012) [#3]
From all accounts, Alesis aren't known for the quality of their build construction although they do sound good...I suppose it will depend on how much you actually play them for.

Personally I would go for Yamaha or Roland, some suggestions...

http://www.dv247.com/drums-and-percussion/roland-hd-1-dv-megadeal-v-drums-electronic-drum-kit--61007

http://www.dv247.com/drums-and-percussion/yamaha-dtx500k-electronic-drum-kit--85301

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yeah I've heard a few folks mention the coating peeling off Alesis pads after a while.

The HD-1 looks pretty good but I worry that it's a bit *too* compact and the DTX500k is a bit more than I really wanted to pay for what's basically going to be a toy.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#5]
My mate uses roland ones.

Here is a review of several makes:

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/drums/electronic-drum-kits-6-best-beginner-sets-in-the-world-today-177956/4

There is another Yamaha kit here with a reasonable review/price "DTX explorer"

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#6]
Well, got a good price (£220) on an Alesis DM5 Pro so we'll see how that goes, picking it up tomorrow.

If anything 'clicks' and i fancy taking it a bit more seriously, i can get something better at a later date, but i reckon this will be fine for tapping about on when i'm bored.

Thanks for the feedback!

GfK(Posted 2012) [#7]
Well, had a good bash about on it this morning and have to say the Alesis kit is pretty good. If there is one caveat, it's the hi hat, which is awful. The pedal is either open, or closed - no in between. Not MUCH of an issue but every time you press the pedal you get a hi-hat closing sound. That wouldn't be much of an issue either, but because the pedal is not dynamic, you get the sound at full volume which just feels odd!

The pads are OK. Not spectacular, just OK. Playing softly is nigh on impossible as the pads do not detect soft hits very well.

Also the 16-note polyphony is a bit of a bind when you're playing fast stuff as the drum module tends to drop notes occasionally, though most people wouldn't notice.

I can bash along with this all day long though (except the drum stool is giving me an arse-ache, feels like the first bike ride of the summer). I'm not a pro and likely never will be, so I think I made a good choice in NOT spending a heap more money.