I want to upgrade with no dvd. Howto? (Ubuntu)

Community Forums/General Help/I want to upgrade with no dvd. Howto? (Ubuntu)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
N00B ALERT!!!!!

I want to get my ubuntu up to date but how can i do that? I want to upgrade from 11.10 to whatever the latest version is. I do not want to lose any files, documents, apps, etc. How can I upgrade without a dvd and without loosing my files? Can I download the latest version like in Windows for a service pack?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
Using the Update Manager?

On Unity or GNOME, just search for "update" in the funny searchy box thing. On Xfce it will be in the main menu in the system tools.

I hope the fact you haven't seen this means you have it set to update automatically instead. Updates are just as important on *nix systems as they are on Windows, and Ubuntu gets enough to make it worth updating every day.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
I hope the fact you haven't seen this means you have it set to update automatically instead.

How can I do that?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/01/turn-on-automatic-update-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/

C'mon dude, second Google result. If that's too terrifying, here's a graphical one: http://www.garron.me/linux/turn-off-stop-ubuntu-automatic-update.html

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
C'mon dude

figured it out after long enough time and am upgrading to 12.04 now. :)

EDIT: Finished upgrading but now i get annoying notifications telling me that an app has crashed. maybe a quick restart will fix! :)

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#6]
Answer:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu+how+to+upgrade

Last edited 2012

Derron(Posted 2012) [#7]
App-Crash-Notification sucks a bit ... (happened on one of my parents pcs)

click on the red icon ... don't click abort, click on continue, remove the check about sending the problem ... continue

if it happens the second time ... after the last step it will ask if it should continue notifying you ... uncheck and finish.

Just do that for "normal" apps... as they will have got enough messages about the crash. If it is a individually installed (from deb, src, ...), you may send it one time.

bye
Ron

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#8]
always backup before you major-update any OS (especially across primary versions).
Buy a usb HDD (easiest option).
then it does not matter if you bugger it all up.

PS: You can also install most linuxes including ubuntu from a usb stick.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
PS: You can also install most linuxes including ubuntu from a usb stick.

Is it possible to install Linux Mint 13 on a USB device and boot up from there?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#10]
Most likely (that is, never used Mint, but you can with others), but your computer must support booting from USB, which it may not if it's older. If it doesn't, that's not something you can fix. Break out the in-depth specifications in the manual.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#11]
Is it possible to install Linux Mint 13 on a USB device and boot up from there?

Yes, absolutely. Did it myself. Runs perfectly fine.