Can't compile executables in blitz max...

Community Forums/General Help/Can't compile executables in blitz max...

Nate the Great(Posted 2012) [#1]
So this hasn't ever happened before, I don't know what could have caused this but every time I try to compile ANY blitz max file, I get this error about 4 in every 5 attempts:

C:/BlitzMax/bin/ld.exe: cannot open output file <file path>
Build Error: Failed to link <file path>

no matter what I am trying to compile or where, it *almost* always gives me that error. Blitz max was working just fine yesterday and for weeks before that but clearly something is interfering with it. I tried running the file that had been compiled and was in the folder already and it would not allow me to run it because it said I didn't have permission. Then about 5 seconds later the executable file always mysteriously vanishes. Avast was my main suspect because it is the only active antivirus on my computer right now but even after I permanently disable all of the security settings, essentially turning it off, it still gives me the error and the file mysteriously gets deleted, the next step I suppose is uninstalling avast completely even though I really doubt it is avast now that it is essentially turned off and the problem remains. I am considering doing another reinstall of blitz max but I don't think that could be the problem. Could this be a windows thing? Or even a malware thing? I am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit if that helps. Anyone got any ideas or had this problem before?

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#2]
When things get this baffling I generally try System Restore, although I haven't had much use for it with Windows 7. Maybe an automatic update of something has caused this. I can't imagine what.

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#3]
Have you checked msconfig to see what's loading at startup? Maybe something you don't recognise.

It's likely that something is doing something on your hard drive with an executable files it finds (the output file being locked by said program, could be why you're getting the error).

I'd install MalwareBytes if you don't have it already, and do a full scan.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#4]
I had a similar problem not so long ago, also on Windows 7, whereby it took ages to actually delete an executable file, and enabling the "Application Experience and Program Compatibility Assistant" service was the fix, so try that if it's not already running. (I'd disabled it at some point.)

TaskMaster(Posted 2012) [#5]
Chkdsk your drive. It may be going bad.

H&K(Posted 2012) [#6]
+1 for bad disc. Compile to usb drive to see. (Sorry just realised its nate. No idea. I assume you tried the bad disc theory already)

Last edited 2012

Nate the Great(Posted 2012) [#7]
Well after about an hour of trying stuff, the problem is solved. I think avast simply had a faulty update and may have been freaking out because I remember it asking to restart to complete an update the day before. I completely deleted and reinstalled blitz max and avast and the problem seems to be fixed for now. Thanks for the help guys!