What is a windows legacy app?

Community Forums/General Help/What is a windows legacy app?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
What is a windows legacy app? I hear people talking about how microsoft are killing off legacy app support and dont have any idea what that even is! I though legacy app meant old like DOS buy really what is a legacy app now? :-S

Matthew Smith(Posted 2012) [#2]
A legacy app in the context of Windows 8 is an existing x86/x64 desktop application is. Currently anything that runs on Windows

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Okay so anything that is for XP/Vista/7 is a legacy app?

ima747(Posted 2012) [#4]
correct. "new" windows apps are Metro apps, and run under the Metro UI. Legacy are traditional windows apps that run under the desktop environment. Which by the way functions much like an app itself in Metro, in that Metro is always there, if you want to get to the desktop you have to launch it, not the other way around as most people seem to assume that haven't played with it. No more start menu at all, etc. Metro->Desktop->App. It's a brave (insane I suspect) new world.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#5]

Metro->Desktop->App. It's a brave (insane I suspect) new world.

I haven't tried Windows8 yet, but it sounds even more awful than I first thought.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#6]
No more start menu at all

They better include at least an option to bring back the traditional start menu into the desktop mode. I don't wanna be using that children's activity screen each time I want to launch an application.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#7]
I thought windows was a legacy app!.. (just kidding! :o) )

Although if MS could have it their way it would be anything that is -not- using the global assembly cache (GAC) i would say :/

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
lol, i dont like windows that much but use it when i have to get things done! OSX + various flavours of Linux

ima747(Posted 2012) [#9]
No, there will be NO option to bring back ANY form of traditional start menu. There will be 3rd party hacks and you can setup some folders etc. to sort of fake it but the purpose of metro in windows 8 is to replace the start menu. MS will not help, abandon all hope ye who enter! Pressing the windows key brings up metro so you can forget your windows key + other key quick jumps as well...

It's a mobile OS stuffed into a desktop, unlike OS X which is a desktop OS that's being infested with mobile components some for better some for worse.

Anyone that hasn't tried the preview of windows 8 and uses a PC really should get their head around it ASAP I think. For no other reason than a family member or friend will have a windows 8 system within a year, and they will not have a CLUE how to use it because everything is different, and you're going to get the call...

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#10]
To be honest I have more confidence in where windows is going than where osx is going.

Although i dont like the path either are taking. Even the "trendy" linux windows managers seem to be climbing aboard the "no-menu mobile" look for everything (but at least there you can "hack-fix" it how you want it, or, completely change your windows manager to one of many alternatives) :/

Last edited 2012

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#11]
Anyone that hasn't tried the preview of windows 8 and uses a PC really should get their head around it ASAP I think. For no other reason than a family member or friend will have a windows 8 system within a year, and they will not have a CLUE how to use it because everything is different, and you're going to get the call...

I've already started telling people I have no idea how to use Windows any more. If that doesn't get them to shut up I can always start regurgitating some Free Software Foundation propaganda.

True? No. Easy? Yes! Evil... probably. Sorry folks, I found a way to use Linux for bad.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#12]
I've already started telling people I have no idea how to use Windows any more.

They should rename the OS into "Tiles 8". Windows no longer is a fitting name. Or maybe "SquareTouch 8". Or something like "ColorTouch 8".

I think what freaks me out the most is that the traditional Start Menu has bid us adieu. Pretty bad move. Windows has become unusable for me.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2012) [#13]
Metro is the start menu, just full screen. The search function is function very good - just start typing. As before it really is a way to launch apps - either Metro or desktop (legacy).

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#14]
Metro is the start menu, just full screen.

i hate that!

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#15]
I don't wanna be using that children's activity screen each time I want to launch an application.

Too bad that it doesn't matter what you (and I) want -- all that appears to matter is what Balmer thinks that your grandma wants.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#16]
Metro is the start menu, just full screen. The search function is function very good - just start typing. As before it really is a way to launch apps - either Metro or desktop (legacy).
This. I have three basic ways of getting to the things I do:

1: Single-click it on RocketDock.
2: Open it with a Ctrl+Alt+[key] shortcut.
3: Hit the "Win" key, type the first few letters of whatever I want to open, then hit Enter (like S-K-Y-[ENTER] for Skype).

If, for some reason, the thing I need cannot be accessed from any of these three shortcuts, then I will 90% of the time just grab it from the "Pin to start menu" list. The amount of time I ever spend actually clicking on the start menu and then browsing through the "All Programs" list to find something out of the ordinary is so insignificant that Metro's approach doesn't worry me in the slightest.

I still firmly uphold my one principle of Windows: if you ever need to double-click anything to open a program, file or folder, then you're not using the full potential of Windows for convenience, and need to learn more shortcuts.

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#17]
Don't you have to double click a shortcut icon to open stuff? Never understand the double click thing though. I still see people double clicking internet links, and quick launch icons.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#18]
I still see people double clicking internet links, and quick launch icons.

Just remember, always blame the machine for the ensuing slow program start and multiple windows and other chaos!

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#19]
Don't you have to double click a shortcut icon to open stuff?
Yes... if you use a shortcut icon to open stuff. Notice that the word "desktop" never appeared in my methods; I abhor desktop icons, I always hide them and never use them. With Windows 7, double-clicking is even less prevalent since there are the "favorites" shortcuts in the shell bar to the left, which only require a single-click to open. When browsing, I only ever have to double-click to open a folder or file in the explorer view, and even then I use keyboard navigation more often than my mouse.

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#20]
Shortcuts keys are a godsend. Open up Word? CTRL+ALT+W. Open up internet? CTRL+ALT+I. New tab? CTRL+N. New web address? CTRL+L. Love it :)

Just remember, always blame the machine for the ensuing slow program start and multiple windows and other chaos!

Indeed!