Advantages of rooting my Android Phone?

Community Forums/General Help/Advantages of rooting my Android Phone?

Amon(Posted 2012) [#1]
I don't understand what this whole fuss is all about. What does it mean to 'root' my android phone? What does it entail? Why should I do it? What benefits would it give me that it already doesn't?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#2]
How

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-root-any-android-device-using-unlock-root-41984/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS)
http://www.androidauthority.com/rooting-for-dummies-a-beginners-guide-to-root-your-android-phone-or-tablet-10915/
Why

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/top-10-reasons-to-root-your-android-phone-2/

It is much like overclocking your cpu but also just as dangerous.

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#3]
>>>>It is much like overclocking your cpu but also just as dangerous

Eh? Rooting is so-called because it enables access at root level, so you can do things the OS or phone manufacturer didn't want you to do. You can overclock, but it's not just that.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#4]
so you can do things the OS or phone manufacturer didn't want you to do.

Isn't this like jailbreaking an iphone? There goes your warranty then I suppose.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#5]
Isn't this like jailbreaking an iphone? There goes your warranty then I suppose.

It is similar in a way I suppose. Rooting can have certain advantages, much like jailbreaking. However, in contrast, you can install apps directly on Android without jailbreaking, if you so desire (rooted or not).

Jailbreaking the iPhone and rooting an Android phone do not void warranty and are both legal.

Last edited 2012

Zethrax(Posted 2012) [#6]
Advantages of rooting my Android Phone?

If you were Australian, this would have a whole different meaning.

LineOf7s(Posted 2012) [#7]
Indeed, and it's quite possible to root your phone by rooting it. :o)

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#8]
The advantage of rooting is that it allows you to make some low-level changes that are not supported out-of-the-box by the manufacturer / wireless carrier, like:

- Install VPN software (Cisco Anyconnect only works on certain samsung, some motorola, or rooted devices, for example)
- Install free wireless hotspot software (Most carriers will charge you an extra $20/month or so for the functionality, but on a rooted device you can install the Barnacle Wi-fi Tethering app and do it for free)
- It may enable you to uninstall some of the built-in shovelware and apps that are part of the stock OS which you may have no need for. (for example, some trial-versions of annoying programs, or resident crap like a stockticker or social network garbage that you may have no interest in, but which may still run in the background out of the box)
- Replace the stock OS with a complete custom ROM, which may give you additional functionality
- Depending on how locked down your device is, rooting the device can enable you to remove some other carrier-determinted restrictions -- for example, some phones will not allow installations from 3rd party appstores like Amazon's. The option to enable those installs may be greyed out. On a rooted device, you may be able to re-enable that anyway, regardless of whether your carrier agrees.

The downside of rooting is that it may void your warranty, and may make you ineligible for technical support from your carrier.

As with everything else: If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#9]
@captain wicker, no it is not like jailbreaking and does not usually affect the warranty, nor is it dangerous if you know what you are doing.
@amon Basically it gives you a linux root user. This allows you to make changes to the proteted areas of the filesystem and customize it further. Pretty much like xlsior says above.

I quite actively develop for android in my job and I have not yet needed to root my phone or tablet for any reason. We do have one rooted model to play around with, but only for interest/academic reasons. There has been no need to root them for normal development.

Last edited 2012