iPod headphones?

Community Forums/General Help/iPod headphones?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#1]
Just put a load of music on my iPod and the sound through the Apple headphones is really tinny and flat, completely lacking any bass. The MP3s are fine through my PC speakers, and also fine on my iPod if I use my 'big' Sony headphones. Yet with the Apple ones I cannot get a decent sound at all no matter what I do with the volume or EQ.

Anybody have any recommendation for some GOOD headphones? I want the in-ear type.

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#2]
I think it's related to physics.
You'll never get reasonable bass tones with small speakers - like the Apple ones.

You really need the big ones for that. They have membranes\drives that are big enough to reproduce bass.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#3]
I figured somebody would say that. :/

Don't get me wrong, I can put up with it... but I used to play bass guitar in a band and always like to crank the bass up as that's generally the bit I listen to.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2012) [#4]
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/15014605/Skullcandy-2010-Earbuds-Headphones-INK-D-SC-Black-Black/Product.html?searchstring=skullcandy&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Those are my headphones of choice for my iPod, the sound output far surpasses the cheap price you should give them a go at under a tenner you have nothing to lose, except a tenner of course :P

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#5]
I had the iBuds and found them shite too, heck they are expensive to replace considering the quality of sound output.

I normally use big headphones, normally dirt cheap ones too, just so that people at work (or at home) can see that I have them on and cannot hear what they are saying.
I said something along the lines of "I had my headphones on, you just looked like you were impersonating a fish." a few times when people just start talking to me without getting my attention first, for all I know they are talking to someone else in the break room.

Last pair developed dodgy wiring and I am now running on more discreet but good sounding Sony earbuds with those interchangeable gummy things, did have a set of Teknica (Tesco) ones but I kinda killed them when they got tangled up (and I had already lost 2 of the buds and had odd sized ones that didn't fit well).

Considering the Sony and Teknica ones size, I do find they give out good sounds and cancel out alot of back ground noise (IE break room and one girl who's voice just goes right through me) and when playing noise tracks like Metal Machine Music (any of the 4 tracks) I don't find myself in an ears are bleeding quandry.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#6]
Anybody have any recommendation for some GOOD headphones? I want the in-ear type.

> in-ear
> good bass

I apologise for the image post, but I couldn't quite help myself.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#7]
Anybody have any recommendation for some GOOD headphones?

Yes, KOSS brand headphones are great!

These are the ones that I use and love em and are only about $5.00
http://www.buy.com/prod/koss-ur21v-headphone-stereo-silver-mini-phone-wired-32-ohm-20-hz-18/204305238.html

If you prefer the kind that go in your ears then I would highly recommend getting these!

http://www.dollartree.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=earbuds&x=0&y=0
They are only a dollar. I have some like them and work great! :D

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#8]
> in-ear
> good bass

I apologise for the image post, but I couldn't quite help myself.
I didn't ask for "good bass" - ANY amount of bass will do.

You've obviously never had the privilege of using an iPod and its accompanying headphones, otherwise you'd have some level of appreciation for how crap they really are.

Last edited 2012

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#9]
You've obviously never had the privilege of using an iPod and its accompanying headphones, otherwise you'd have some level of appreciation for how crap they really are.
That was kind of the point of my post, actually; I've used everything from tinny $1 buds to full-sized $50 cans with "feelin' it" bass. I do know the difference alright, that's why I was chuckling at the idea of good bass in any earbuds, though admittedly I haven't used any of the triple-digit-figure top-end brands.

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#10]
I have Sennheiser earbuds, unknown model. All I remember is they retail for $50 and I got them online for $15. Buy.com was dumping left over stock from some kind of breast cancer charity event, so they are a girly looking pink. They sound fantastic compared to the cheapo model that came with my Sansa player. I can only imagine what the really pricey ones are like.

I would probably never spend more than about $20 because I tend to break these things.

Last edited 2012

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#11]
I like surfing around the top products of high-brands. There are some Sennheiser noise-cancelling, high-fidelity in-ear headphones that cost US$450.

Ouch.

Look lovely though. One day perhaps... when I get tired of the spare kidney.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#12]
I have the Sennheiser HD 215 headphones. Cost about 99 Euro, have impressive noise cancelling and definitely one of the best sounds I have ever heard in my life (apart from the Creative WP-300, Bluetooth - THAT is sound!! Retails for about 79 Euro).

Sennheiser HD 215

Creative WP-300 Bluetooth (with integrated playback controls)

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#13]
Those Sennheisers are pretty nice-looking, SE51. I currently use these, the Superlux 681 semi-open:

Hardly noise-cancelling at all, but the sound quality is as good as a pair of cans up to $100, and these only cost me $35. As a neat twist, these came with their own 1/4" adapter, which is typical for headphones these days, except rather than just being an adaptor you plug them into, it actually screws on to ensure a good connection.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#14]
My problem with 'big' headphones, is that you don't get any outside noise at all. So what, you might say. But if I'm coding, with those on listening to a bit of Five Finger Death Punch, it's highly likely that somebody will come into the room behind me and scare the sh*t out of me.

That and they make your ears sweat.

Basil(Posted 2012) [#15]
One thing to watch with the non Apple earphones, the plugs don't fit the sockets perfectly and constantly need to be twisted to make full contact. Happened on both of my daughter's iPods.

Basil

ima747(Posted 2012) [#16]
Odd, never heard of 3rd party headphones not fitting properly on an iPod... sure they weren't just poorly manufactured headphone plugs, or that the jack didn't get torqued?

Personally I like the in ear canal style headphones, but if I'm using headphones I don't want outside noise. Sony Nudes I picked up in Japan were the best but years of ear goo have essentially killed them, so I have a selection of others. All are better than Apple's headphones (widely regarded as the worst thing you can possibly put in your ear for comfort or sound quality).

The OP might want to check out some sports headphones, they're usually designed to a) stay on your head (hence the sport) but more interestingly b) let you hear what's around you so you don't get hit by cars etc... Check reviews and find some that seem like they should have decent quality. They will never be as good as canal or ear muff headphones, but they are probably good enough if you're demanding noise bleed so you can hear the outside world.