How to bend objects in Wings3D?

Community Forums/General Help/How to bend objects in Wings3D?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all. I have one more question. And no, I'm not going to the Wings3D forums, because I checked there, and the forum is mostly dead... :/ Anyway, how do you bend a 3D object in Wings3D?

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#2]
Use blender, imo it is a better modeller and has a great support community. It also has one of the best 3d animators i have used.

Last edited 2012

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#3]
Manually. Unfortunately Wings isn't really advanced enough to support concepts like that (or... it might be now, but it wasn't in the murky depths of history when I used it for anything). Bending objects manually actually takes a bit of skill and practice.

Example:

-- create a cube.

-- scale it in Y to 500% (right click, hit Scale Axis, choose Y, hit tab and type in 500)

-- hit space to unselect all. Select the four long sides.

-- hit 5 to create vertices.

-- hit C to join them.

Now you have the verts along the "spine" of a basic block selected, there are several ways to go about this.

-- you could stay with the current selection, and choose Deform, then Shear in X and Z. This lets you shove them sideways.

-- you could simply move the vertices in X and Z, then deselect the top and bottom sets, and move the middle set a bit further (but not as much)

-- you could do the above, but follow it up by selecting each square edge ring and rotating the vertices so that they loop around the direction of curvature

Try those out and see what produces a natural-looking curve for your needs. There are several ways to bend an object and most of them are outside the scope of something as low-level as a subdivision modeller (you really need something that abstracts away access to individual verts and polys and manages that stuff for you as part of some kind of object system NINJA'd: yes, like Blender).

'Course I could be totally wrong and just have missed the obvious.

Last edited 2012

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#4]
Everytime I tried Blender, I failed... Blender isnt as easy as Wings :/