Trojan.AdRotator!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community Forums/General Help/Trojan.AdRotator!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
My computer has been attacked by a Trojan Adrotator bot thingy. It is playing all sorts of radio ads etc on my vista machine. the virus has turned off Microsoft Security Essentials and killed out my Windows Defender. How do I get rid of this thing????

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
I'm sure better suggestions will follow, but:

-- boot into safe mode and run MSE manually?
-- boot into a Linux live distribution with antivirus/repair software installed? (here are some)

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
boot into safe mode and run MSE manually?

Cant do that, The services for MSE have been removed.

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#4]
Can you download third party antivirus software? try using MalwareByte's Anti-Malware.
If you can't download stuff directly to your computer, try using another computer and put on a mobile drive like a pendisk or portable HD and transfer to the infected machine.
Also try online scanners such as F-Secure's: http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/removal/online-scanner

If the trojan has disabled .EXE associations (happened to me before), you won't be able to run any executables. If this is the case, you can use the MS-DOS shell to run the antivirus executable.
After everything is clean, do a system restore to a secure date you're sure it's before this infection. This should restore associations etc.

Last edited 2012

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#5]
Get Hiren's Boot CD. Burn it to a CD, boot the CD, run anti-virus from there.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
I have completely removed MSE because it is corrupted anyway and am installing Panda Cloud Antivirus software now. :D

EDIT: scanned it and no dice. I still hear these horrible radio and ads from my speakers. :(

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#7]
http://www.google.com/search?q=adrotator%20removal%20instructions ?

Hummelpups(Posted 2012) [#8]
turn off speakers should solve your problem

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
www.2-spyware.com/remove-adrotator.htm

GfK: that first result doesn't work, there are no registry entries for this. :'(

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#10]
The second link is to a Spybot S&D forum topic. Given that it's several years old, it's probably a good bet to try using that program to remove this problem.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#11]
Virus scanner doesn't pick it up. Every single time I go online, I hear these horrible radio ads!!!! :P

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#12]
S&D not being a virus scanner, I guess that means you didn't even try the suggested program that has a linked page where the author talks about this.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#13]
S&D not being a virus scanner, I guess that means you didn't even try the suggested program that has a linked page where the author talks about this.

Spybot - Search & Destroy©® 1.6.2 did not work. :(

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#14]
Use F-Secure's scan... It's on my post (#4).

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#15]
I personally use Avast Free Edition. You can also try that.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#16]
F-Secure's scan

no dice. :(

EDIT: I hate hackers!!!!

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#17]
Not sure what happened but my laptop crashed, restarted and now my problem appears to be solved. ?!?!?!!???

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#18]
EDIT: I hate hackers!!!!

Hackers do not cause any kind of damage to any computer, hackers acquire information.

Crackers damage PCs, install malware, spyware, or viruses.

I can't blame you for not knowing the difference. It's a sad thing that hackers are always blamed (the good guys) when it's really crackers (the bad guys).

Derron(Posted 2012) [#19]
Most of the time it's not the "crackers" fault that you get an adware/trojan-infestation.

Most time it is just visiting adult/warez-sites or blind-installing tools found on the net which are wonder-tools or normally pay-ware.

If Spybot SD is not able to clean (or just does not recognize) there is also
AdAware - Both should be able to clean "adware"-malware.

In your case it is an infection of your system which should be cleanable by most AVtools from a clean USB/opticalMedium-Boot.
Don't think you are getting targeted by a foreign superspy :D.

But the problem is: one trojan file wont came alone. Most time you get multiple and some of them are reinstalling the others if they get caught.
As you won't be able to 100% guarantee that there is no suspicious left over ... backup your files (you know: documents, your very important sourcecode files).
Don't backup Application-Binaries/module/addonfiles nor backup Browser-Extensions.
Reinstall the OS of your choice, update it to the end, install networking, install browser of your choice, install up-to-date drivers, install AV-tool of choice, install rest, play back backup files (and enjoy now having a nice backup of your work).

Do not reject reinstalling your OS except you were able to guarantee your OS to be clean and not toolbar/adware/bla-infected.

If you dare: install a linux distribution for surfing/development ... mint,xubuntu and co are nice and clean.
In a VirtualBox-Windows-Environment you can test your Windows-Apps. Use a DualBoot-Windows-Installation just for testing YOUR apps in 100% native environment - may be ok for playing RETAIL games (without copy-protection-tools to get installed).

bye
Ron

PS: dunno how people infect their Windows... last one I had was w32.blaster from 2003 - and this because of the OS-bug they used.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#20]
visiting adult/warez-sites

yea, I dont do that. :P